NovaTac EDC T and E Models CRACKED! Back Door/Easter egg found!

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
prime77: It sounds like you're getting into the options menu and then just clicking the button 9 times as fast as you can. This results in what you're describing, I tested it on my 120P. What you need to do is get into the menu with the 250+hold, then let off when it starts flashing. At that point, you can relax, you have about ten seconds before it kicks you back out due to inactivity. At that point, you just need to slowly click, from one item to the next, to step through the various menu items until you get to the one with the light ramping up from dim to bright, which happens to be 8 clicks into the menu since it's the 9th option. When you get to that, just hold down the button until the light turns off and you're done.

streetmaster

Enlightened
Do you have the "P" owners' manual? If not, download the EDC P UserGuide from the NovaTac site. You need to have the manual open to the page that shows the options menu, page 5. I think you may be going past option 9. You must identify the different indicators of each level as you're on your way to option 9. Don't just click 9 times. Be sure to pause just long enough after each of the 9 clicks to see the blink that the light is doing, to be sure you're at the right place in the menu. Once you get to option 9 and the light goes from dim to bright, press and hold the button, the light will display dim to bright again and then turn off to indicate that option being turned on . If you see that, you've got it. The best advice I can give anyone: Read the manual at least twice, especially the programming section..

Below is a screen-grab of the options menu indicators.
options.jpg

Edit: Sorry, I was too slow making my post, SaturnNyne said it well.

Last edited:

prime77

Enlightened
prime77: It sounds like you're getting into the options menu and then just clicking the button 9 times as fast as you can.
That is what I was doing. I got so excited that I made it through the 250 clicks that I just clicked fast to get to option 9 because I thought I didn't have enough time. I'm at work now so I'll have to wait until I get home to try it out. How much time do you have between the different option menus before the light goes back to normal?

Do you have the "P" owners' manual? If not, download the EDC P UserGuide from the NovaTac site. You need to have the manual open to the page that shows the options menu, page 5.
Yea, I printed out the manual and had it opened to that exact page. If I do get to option 9 how fast does the light go from dim to bright? and do I have to hold the button down before it gets to full bright?

I can't wait to try again.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is what I was doing. I got so excited that I made it through the 250 clicks that I just clicked fast to get to option 9 because I thought I didn't have enough time.

Oh, sorry bro. I guess I should have been more verbose in that respect.

prime77 said:
I'm at work now so I'll have to wait until I get home to try it out. How much time do you have between the different option menus before the light goes back to normal?

You have approximately 10 seconds from your last click until the options menu goes away, so there is absolutely no rush. So, for instance, click once to get from option 1 to option 2, now you have another 10 seconds before the options menu times out.

prime77 said:
Yea, I printed out the manual and had it opened to that exact page. If I do get to option 9 how fast does the light go from dim to bright? and do I have to hold the button down before it gets to full bright?

Each option has it's own unique behavior, those behaviors are just there to differentiate them from each other. You do not have to hold the button down before it gets to full bright. It will just do that over and over again until the 10 seconds has elapsed. The ramping is just to signify the option. Once you get to option 9, hold hold down the button to enable it.

prime77

Enlightened
I did it. :twothumbs Thanks for the help guys. I made it much harder than it actually was.

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Coincidence that nobody's put Novatacs up for sale in CPFM since two days after this thread started? They were for sale just about every week before then.

streetmaster

Enlightened
I did it. :twothumbs Thanks for the help guys. I made it much harder than it actually was.
Yeah, I think it has something to do with the mad 250 clicks. Tends to get a person a little stressed out. ;)

Coincidence that nobody's put Novatacs up for sale in CPFM since two days after this thread started? They were for sale just about every week before then.
The T's and E's just became more desirable, and the P's just lost about 40 bucks in value. :popcorn:

ecallahan

Enlightened
Alright, I need help! I just received my 120-E today, serial number 20xxx. Reading this thread prompted my to buy it.

I have been following this thread, have studied the 120P manual for two weeks now waiting for my light to arrive, everything. If I could get the light to the programming stage, I'm pretty sure I know how to go up through the menu and program the light. BUT, I've tried about 5 times, and can't get the light to flash (enter programming).

I turn the light on to the Primary level. I set it down and follow your directions on/off, on/off in fairly rapid clicks until I get to 250. I've tried 250, 251, 253, but when I do my final click and press, the light just turns on to the maximum setting.

Frustrating. What am I doing wrong?

By the way, I can see why all the fuss over the NovaTac lights. Even if I don't get it to program, I will still like the light.

BUT, I'd rather be able to program. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Everett

Newly Enlightened
I've tried 250, 251, 253, but when I do my final click and press, the light just turns on to the maximum setting.
Don't count clicks. I suspect that it actually takes 255 (overflow an 8-bit variable). Regardless of the actual number, just keep going until the light flashes. Only then should you transition to a press.

chaoss

Enlightened
I am having trouble as well with my 120E sn. 20xxx. I can reach the options menu and i am able to get to #9 (dim to bright) at which point i do a press/hold and the light does a dim/bright-off. I then release the button after a few seconds and the light comes on to primary.

I also tried enabling the force setting (#4) and did the 250+ sequence again and still no luck :confused:.

Nevermind-i'm in!!!

Last edited:

ecallahan

Enlightened
Don't count clicks. I suspect that it actually takes 255 (overflow an 8-bit variable). Regardless of the actual number, just keep going until the light flashes. Only then should you transition to a press.

Thanks, I will give that a try.

streetmaster

Enlightened
can i get the 'disorienting strobe' on my 120E?
Yes. Once you unlock it, it can do all functions.

I turn the light on to the Primary level. I set it down and follow your directions on/off, on/off in fairly rapid clicks until I get to 250. I've tried 250, 251, 253, but when I do my final click and press, the light just turns on to the maximum setting.

Frustrating. What am I doing wrong?

You should NOT be clicking "on/off". You are not clicking fast enough. The light will go off after the first click and STAY off until you hit the 250-ish flashing point. If the light comes on before that, you've messed up and you must start over. There's no need to count clicks. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Badger_Girl

Newly Enlightened
this may explain something odd...

i recently bought a 120T from botach. it came in the package unopened. the body was engraved with 120P but the tail said 120T. and it functions like a 120T...

has anyone else experienced this? now we know they are all the same, so the 120P engraving really doesnt mean much....right?

jlyrgr

Newly Enlightened
The next natural question: Best price / source for a 120e?
Does anybody know of any "deals" right now? I have used the search function and have looked at the standard list of "CPF Discounts" but don;t see any that have Novatacs. Just thought I would ask for a little help. This will be my first flashlight purchase.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a Novatac, but I read this anyway and I'm finding it interesting. I dunno if it's already been mentioned, but if you have a sensitive thumb like I do there's no way you'll be able to do the same quick motion 250 times without feeling incredibly sore. In this case something like an electric reciprocating saw, set at the appropriate distance and with a rubber ball stuck at the end of the blade, would do the trick.

chaoss

Enlightened
I don't own a Novatac, but I read this anyway and I'm finding it interesting. I dunno if it's already been mentioned, but if you have a sensitive thumb like I do there's no way you'll be able to do the same quick motion 250 times without feeling incredibly sore. In this case something like an electric reciprocating saw, set at the appropriate distance and with a rubber ball stuck at the end of the blade, would do the trick.

How about using a sewing machine? Seriously.

chaoss

Enlightened
The next natural question: Best price / source for a 120e?
Does anybody know of any "deals" right now? I have used the search function and have looked at the standard list of "CPF Discounts" but don;t see any that have Novatacs. Just thought I would ask for a little help. This will be my first flashlight purchase.

Go to the good deals section on C.P.F. marketplace and look at the Novatac 85T thread, it has quickly evolved into a veritable giveaway thread.

Magnus1959

Newly Enlightened
Imagine that. Think I'll hold off from buying one for now. The novelty will wear off some in time.