Nuwai's Awesome New Lights

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nuwai\'s Awesome New Lights

Someone had to try one so I guess I'd be the sucker...
I got one of these on ebay for $85 (it's the one from golden gadget; the top one on nuway's website) and received the specimen yesterday. The thing is slighly bigger, heavier and brighter than my L4. The quality seems to be ok; the body is solid, oiled and has o'rings but I found no way to disassemble it or change the led without special tools and upper body strenght (which both I lack) so my dissection was limited to unscrewing the head and examinating the reflector. I also couldn't perform a run test cos' I'm low on 123s and didn't want to waste the 3 duracells it came with. Now, frankly I won't use it instead of my L4, but for it's price, I think it's a pretty cool light.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

kongfu ... do you think it is really regulated, with a resistor or even Charlie Mode (DD) ?
bernhard

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got a few Nuwais (See the Flashlight Reviews page at http://zelandeth.artamir.org), AT-100, FX-602, AN-606, PL-383, AL-08W), and have never had any trouble with any of them. They're all pretty well put together (even the cheaper plastic lights are pretty well built), and are all bright for what they are. The AT-100 and FX-602's beams leave a little to be desired, but they're not BAD in any way. I intend to keep adding more of their lights to my collection. Will have to attempt to get the AN-606 review finished soon! Only been promising it for the last 3 months!

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kiessling:
You'll have to excuse me for my lack of competence as a newbie but I'm not sure to check that except by opening it or checking out its discharge curve, which I haven't done yet as I lack batteries. Now, As far as my intuition tells me, there's just a resistance in there...

Kiessling

Flashaholic

thanx! and don't try to mess with things you do not yet fully understand! I do the same and let others - our wise men - vivisect their lights to tell us what is in there ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
PaulW said:
The Lifestyle Fascination blurb boasts, "They [these 5 watt Luxeon flashlights] boost the performance of an LED by 10-15% utilizing Dynamic Lighting Effect technology and a DCDC constant circuit device!" Statements like this make me very wary of buying anything from these people. However, I do know that some of their products are indeed okay.

So that makes it a crap shoot. I look forward to hearing a review by a fellow CPFer who is brave enough to try one of these lights.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread links to a review of the 5w and some brief comments on the one watt.
New 1W and 5W lights at Lifestyle Fascination

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Stainless,

Your review answers some of the questions I have. In comparing the 5 watt light with SureFire's, the difference in beam quality is a big consideration for me. The Nuwai's beam is a big minus.

Regulation is important too. If it turns out the Nuwai is not regulated (and I doubt that it is because they claim a run-time of 3 hours), I would not be a buyer at anything more than half the price of a SF L4. (I would not pay over $60.)

Paul

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

paulw:
The thread that I linked to makes references to BOTH lights.
The one that I purchased and played with is the SMALL, ONE WATT (single 123 battery) model.
924188.jpg

And I hate to call this a "beamshot", but it does show color variations:
863819.jpg

Catapult

Enlightened

Nuwai makes great lights. My AN 606 has proven to be very useful, although I wish it had longer runtime in the incandescent mode. I would buy more of their lights; been eyeing the AT 100 for nearly six months, but the greatest problem with their lights is finding a good source. Current known vendors either carry too few of their product line, or over-exaggerate and inflate the prices and descriptions.

x2x3x2

Banned

i've used a nuwai light in the past, worked fine for a month. then batteries started to leak. used the same type of e² batteries with my cmg ultra, didn't have any leaking problem with that.