Official release date of the Surefire A2L...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Death's Head

Enlightened
Anyone hear a rumor if the output on high will be bumped up, like they did with the LX2? If so, sign me up.
I asked technical support about that, and they told me that they couldn't provide me any more information about the output other than what's presently on their catalog.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still deciding between LX2 and A2L.... :duh2:

I know, tough choice. Thinner, lighter, 200l vs. (120?), spot vs. dual-action spot & flood, & available nOW! vs. next month. I just wonder if the A2L's specs will also change at the last minute- in particular the runtimes on low. I know S.F. runtimes are somewhat meaningless anyway, but 15 lumens for 47 hours vs. 10 lumens for less than a third of that time?!

LX2
200l for 2hrs
15l for 47hrs
T.I.R. lens
5.4"
1.0"
3.7oz

A2L
120l for 2 hrs
10l for 15 hrs
Reflector
5.4"
1.13"
4.3oz

iapyx

Enlightened
Still deciding between LX2 and A2L.... :duh2:
Not to mention LX1 is a must for me :crazy:
And.... UB3...and and and... :faint:

For me... well I've been following the LX2-thread... mouthwatering, but so far I've been able to restrain. It's more the timing for me. Summer holidays coming up and a 200 lumen light would be nice. But then after the summer holidays are over. I mean it's the UB3 (starting to like it: 350 lumen!!) and the UA2 where my money will go to. What will I do with a LX2 then if I have these two?

zven

Enlightened
I know, tough choice. Thinner, lighter, 200l vs. (120?), spot vs. dual-action spot & flood, & available nOW! vs. next month. I just wonder if the A2L's specs will also change at the last minute- in particular the runtimes on low. I know S.F. runtimes are somewhat meaningless anyway, but 15 lumens for 47 hours vs. 10 lumens for less than a third of that time?!

Although it's quite possible the specs for the A2L will be changed when it's released, as was the case with the LX2, I suspect there will still be a pretty significant difference in runtime on low between these two models. I'm no expert in electronics or LED technology, but I'm guessing it takes more power to light up four separate LED's than it does to light a single LED, even when the four are individually set to lower brightness settings. Plus, do we know the ballpark for the efficiency of those small flood LED's on the A2L? Is it anywhere close to the Cree Q5/R2/whatever bin is in the LX2?

Anyway, I'm also trying to decide between the A2L and LX2. I think it'll end up depending on how throwy the high beam of the A2L is, and how floody its low beam is. I currently carry both a C2/M60/FM34 and an L1 (sometimes with F04), and am hoping that one of the two new models can take care of the range of uses I get with my current EDC. Now, if the A2L can get close to the same throw as my M60 on high, and the same flood as my L1 w/ F04 on low, then it'll be a must-have.

I don't suppose anyone here could say how the flood of the original A2 on low compares to an E- or L-series TIR w/ F04 diffuser? I know the A2L low will differ from that of the A2, but it's at least a place to start.

knf

Newly Enlightened
Anyone got any idea if there's a filter size to fit the odd bezel diameter?

I'd like to get an all white one and then use a red filter for the odd times I need red light, leaving low-level white flood as an option which I find useful.

Otherwise I'll have to go with the white/red combo version.

On a slightly different note, does anyone have any good ideas on getting hold of new Surefire lights here in the UK without paying the ludicrous prices that the official UK dealers charge?

Illum

Flashaholic
even if there were beamfilters, what are you going to use them for? a red filter on a white LED? :thinking:

really though, do we really need this much attention on the A2L? its not like this is the only 2xcr123A SSC P4[?] light out in the market at the moment:)

It'll be nice when it comes out, but I wouldn't charge their accuracy down to a weekly precision

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
even if there were beamfilters, what are you going to use them for? a red filter on a white LED? :thinking:

really though, do we really need this much attention on the A2L? its not like this is the only 2xcr123A SSC P4[?] light out in the market at the moment:)

It'll be nice when it comes out, but I wouldn't charge their accuracy down to a weekly precision

Well sorry to bump this thread illum, I understand the repetive discussion is getting annoying. I just wanted to thank zven for answering my question regarding the LX2 vs. A2L. THat makes sense, more L.E.D.'s = more inefficiency. And zven, the low on the orignal A2 is VERY low, I.D.K. how many actual lumens, but with the red version anyway I wouldn't have a use for anything much lower. It is kind of an odd shaped beam too, when looking at it on a wall. Probably also because of the multiple L.E.D.'s. So I'm expecting similar from the new A2L's low.

I'll definitely be looking forward to comparative beamshots & user reports between these two, to decide if sacrificing efficiency on low is worth it or not. The white hot circles of L1 & others with T.I.R.'s are kind of distracting to me. They seem to have such a stark border between the center & rest of the beam, compared to beams that diffuse more gradually from the center it almost blinds you when you look directly at where you're pointing. There are strategies around that, and might be worth it when gaining something more compact & much more efficient like the LX2.

Snow

Enlightened
Although it's quite possible the specs for the A2L will be changed when it's released, as was the case with the LX2, I suspect there will still be a pretty significant difference in runtime on low between these two models. I'm no expert in electronics or LED technology, but I'm guessing it takes more power to light up four separate LED's than it does to light a single LED, even when the four are individually set to lower brightness settings. Plus, do we know the ballpark for the efficiency of those small flood LED's on the A2L? Is it anywhere close to the Cree Q5/R2/whatever bin is in the LX2?

Anyway, I'm also trying to decide between the A2L and LX2. I think it'll end up depending on how throwy the high beam of the A2L is, and how floody its low beam is. I currently carry both a C2/M60/FM34 and an L1 (sometimes with F04), and am hoping that one of the two new models can take care of the range of uses I get with my current EDC. Now, if the A2L can get close to the same throw as my M60 on high, and the same flood as my L1 w/ F04 on low, then it'll be a must-have.

I don't suppose anyone here could say how the flood of the original A2 on low compares to an E- or L-series TIR w/ F04 diffuser? I know the A2L low will differ from that of the A2, but it's at least a place to start.

The low of an L1 with F04 equipped is probably a similar brightness to A2 on low. The beam is much more diffuse and more attractive IMO. Of course with a modded A2, there might be less variation. I will compare the two back to back tonight and see if I can offer any more insight.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I hope the A2L head will fit on an A2 body.

Call me crazy... I like checkering.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
:D Some Surefire eye candy I found on the net :D

The CombatLight looks great!

156e0it.jpg

33fcivq.jpg

20fs42a.jpg

LX1 and LX2
5ml1u.jpg

NEW M3
hukmbr.jpg

2q04me8.jpg

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Kid9P,
Are you hosting those photos yourself? Hotlinking is against our rules as it sucks bandwidth from the host which can cost them money or overburden their site.

These photos look to be the proto-types made for the SHOT Show 2009 and which travel to various trade shows and exhibitions around the world.
As we have seen they do not necessarily match what makes it into final production

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It appears that the A2L body will be the same as the LX2 body. In which case the A2L bezel will not fit on the A2 body.

:(

Damn it.... Well, it's still looks like a very good update to the A2. Probably going to get it anyway. But I appreciate the response. Now I only have to buy an A2L instead of an A2 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.