Olight M30 Triton (new and first pictures

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
I have the perfect holster, I bought it for another light but it was the wrong size and it is ideal for the M30, It is a nylon holster well made found here http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4517 it literally is a perfect fit for this light with either the extension tube or not! However I just got my light and it is not working! I really hope this is a battery problem I will keep you all posted!

Mine is not working either...I tried 4 sets of different batteries. Tailcap is screwed in tight as well.

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine... ok well I wrote a detailed review that took me about an hour and my computer crashed.. so i have to rewrite it argh! ok I will try to be as thorough on round 2...

My first impressions... the light design is fantastic, rugged and sleek, homerun in the design department. One handed operation is easy even with the extension tube. The tailcap and the side button work in tandem perfectly. The strobe can be activated always by hitting the side button when the light is off, which is an awesome feature for real-world tactical or hostile situations. You dont want to be scrolling though settings during a dangerous situation. Additionally, the memory feature is great, whatever setting you leave the light at when you turn it off it will stay following tailcap depression. Now here is my rundown on each setting...

At the lowest setting 8 lms is obviously very dim, but incredibly useful for certain low-light applications.

The medium setting is rated at 120 lms, it is seemigly not as bright as a Surefire E2DL rated at 120 lms. However, there is probably equivalent light output between both, just the M30 is floodier then the E2DL, which has a tighter hotspot.

The high setting rated at 700 lms is bright, very bright. However it was not as devastingly bright as I had thought it would be. Take this subjective comment with a grain of salt, trust me it is still VERY bright and will not dissapoint anyone.

The strobe is fantastic this is another home run. I am not sure what the frequecny is, but it is very fast I would guess around 10 Hz. This is much preffered to slower strobe, the fast strobe is blindingly bright and unbelievably disorienting.

The actual beam is tight with a good amount of spill. The MC-E LED temperature is much warmer than my Cree Q5, K2 luxeon, and my SC2 LEDs. However the warmer hue is better for some night applications and is easier on the human eye for seeing at night, so not a bad thing with a warmer hue. The characteristic MC-E cross is present within about 18 inches in all settings, however as soon as you are further away the beam is solid full and no evidence of donuts or crosses as is common with MC-E LEDs. There are very very minor artifacts in each setting, not a bad thing or distracting, just noting for the record.

Lastly, the diffuser is an awesome accesory, it provides a glow for many jobs that a bright focused light are simply not suited for. A truly essential accesory and I think you will find yourself using it more than you think. I also highly recommend a compatible nylon holseter I have the link several posts back. It fits the M30 perfectly even with or without the extension tube.

Overall this light is a homerun, it is rugged, incredibly verstaile, and will be useful in a variety of applications. The M30 is an amazing addition to anyones flashlight collection, and is essential gear to those who demand tactical level illumination in the harshest of conditions.

One last note I have not taking the M30 outside yet, I will do that as soon as the sun sets. I will try to take some beam shots even though my camera is terrible. If they come out at all I will post them, I know everyone is eager to see any beam shots.

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Swrdply, it looks like my issue was with one 18650 battery. I initially tried some 18650s and nothing worked, then I tried some CR123 and they worked then I went back and sorted through various combinations with my 18650s and found 1 to be damaged. I bought them all from batteryjunction and I have already contacted them for a replacement. Hopefully, your situation is related to batteries, but that does sound weird. If it is not resolved let us know because that would be rather alarming, and maybe the M30 has a few kinks, keep us posted!

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had no battery thankfully and i have used CR123,RCR's and 18560and no problem. Been checking the weather in my area trying to see when there's a break in the rain to take a beam shot.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I have had no battery thankfully and i have used CR123,RCR's and 18560and no problem. Been checking the weather in my area trying to see when there's a break in the rain to take a beam shot.

Ok 276.....I've got a heavy task for you.....:poke::D

Can you show us beamshots of your new M30 in comparison with your:

TK40
16w
M6
P7 Sniper
and maybe even the P7 M90?
???....pretty please??:eek::popcorn:

Hey...not my fault you have all these awesome lights that make us drool and cause us to NEED to see comparisons. ;)

2brian0

Newly Enlightened
I am so very jealous of all you that have received your lights. I pre-ordered mine from another very reputable dealer on cpf and to my knowledge they still haven't received their shipment from Olight.:mecry:

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Swrdply, it looks like my issue was with one 18650 battery. I initially tried some 18650s and nothing worked, then I tried some CR123 and they worked then I went back and sorted through various combinations with my 18650s and found 1 to be damaged. I bought them all from batteryjunction and I have already contacted them for a replacement. Hopefully, your situation is related to batteries, but that does sound weird. If it is not resolved let us know because that would be rather alarming, and maybe the M30 has a few kinks, keep us posted!

Man I'm jealous, I was planning to take some beamshots tonite vs. the M20.

I tried 2x18650 Tenergy, 2x18650 Solarforce, 3xCR123 Rayovacs, 3xRCR123 AW's, 3XRCR123 Battery Station...all dead :(

Hopefully mine's an anomaly, and that everyone else's works great.

Dudeman

Newly Enlightened
Don't be bummed about buying from others....it's good to spread the wealth around anyways so to speak. I think BJ has a very close relationship with Olight, maybe that's why they got them first. But I can tell you that I have had superb service from other popular retail dealers here too in the past. You'll have it soon enough, and in the meantime I'm sure people will post some beamshots to boot.

Believe it or not I just got mine! :eek: I did not pay for priority mail shipping, but somehow that magically happened....amazing customer service I'd say.

I have yet to load it up with batteries, but first impressions are all positive. The size is about what I thought. On the small side for sure, a perfect fit in the palm of the hand....both the rear clicky and the side instant-on buttom seem easily and readily accessible by my thumb or finger. Machining and anodizing appear top notch. This is a quality light indeed. Now let's hope she fires up as intended.....I'll post further and maybe even attempt some feeble beamshots later.

Here's a shot for scale though for those curious about its relative size:
M30Scale.jpg

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok 276.....I've got a heavy task for you.....:poke::D

Can you show us beamshots of your new M30 in comparison with your:

TK40
16w
M6
P7 Sniper
and maybe even the P7 M90?
???....pretty please??:eek::popcorn:

Hey...not my fault you have all these awesome lights that make us drool and cause us to NEED to see comparisons. ;)

Don't know about all of them can't do side by side shots now room in the alley way. P7 Sniper is almost not worth it the 16W is way way brighter.

2brian0

Newly Enlightened
If I remember correctly, I read the pocket clip is removable. However, is it reversible? By that I mean are you able to mount it on the head side of the body with the open end facing the tail cap? I keep my light in my back pocket at work and the way it's set up now, that wouldn't be possible.

Dudeman

Newly Enlightened
The clip is removable. But unfortunately, it does not appear that it was designed to be reversible. The clip actually locks into place via a threaded ring. There is a good spot however near the top that would fit a clip, but the stock one would be stretched a little too much there. Don't want to try it with mine.... it *might* work, but wouldn't be very secure. Either way, there's certainly space for someone to design an aftermarket clip. The light really is pretty top heavy though due to the aluminum fins and head size, so clipping it head up may be a little awkward anyways.

Last edited:

2brian0

Newly Enlightened
bummer...guess i'll have to remove the clip and get a pocket sewn on the tac carrier for my vest. i know there are probably some good holsters for it but i like to keep as much weight/clutter off my hips as possible...

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Used it outside.. WOW! Im impressed, much more powerful than I initially thought by sulking through my dark basement this afternoon. However, it is pouring rain here like most of the east coast, so beam shots were not even possible with my crappy non-waterproof camera. Very impressive though, I know all the hype in the world is nothing compared to beam shots but it is a very awesome light!

Dudeman

Newly Enlightened
Used it outside.. WOW! Im impressed, much more powerful than I initially thought...

Me too! I am thrilled with this flashlight! It's raining here too, so outdoor beamshots will have to wait, but initial use outside leaves me very impressed indeed given the size of this light. It puts out a wall of light, yet with a very good focused hotspot, in a very small and comfortable package, one which I could easily wear on my belt without any obstruction or discomfort. Throw is not its strong point, but it's no slouch either. Doesn't throw as far as my Husky 2D, but it outthrows my PD30, and does it with a huge swath of light, not just a tiny beam. Incredibly useful light with a warmish tint. This is my first MC-E, and my first >$100 light, so I don't have anything else to compare to on this level, but my opinion is that it's worth every penny!

RainerWahnsinn

Enlightened
I am so very jealous of all you that have received your lights. I pre-ordered mine from another very reputable dealer on cpf and to my knowledge they still haven't received their shipment from Olight.:mecry:

Don't be bummed about buying from others....it's good to spread the wealth around anyways so to speak.

This Thread is bound to no special dealer. Comments can be written independently from the dealer. That would be even pleasant.

We in Europe count also each day on the arrival of the lamp. I personally buy at 47s, BJ, and this time at Qualityflashlights.at and am always content.

Because of having our TF-Logo on the M30 we are only minutes behind Matt with arrival.:)

2brian0

Newly Enlightened
This Thread is bound to no special dealer. Comments can be written independently from the dealer. That would be even pleasant.

Because of having our TF-Logo on the M30 we are only minutes behind Matt with arrival.:)

Good point but it almost seems silly to have a light on pre-order status with one retailer (with no status update) while the other has them in stock. Unless I here something by tomorrow, I think I may cancel my order and place a new order with Matt. With all the initial glowing reviews, the suspense is killing me....

Light Brite

Newly Enlightened
I noticed something with my light in strobe mode and am not sure if it is expected or common, any thoughts would be appreciated. When the strobe is activated from the off position with the side switch for a few seconds and then released it appears the strobe is off and then about a 1/10 of a sec. later it will give off one more burst. It seems to only happen occasionally.

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Lightbrite, that is very interesting that you are seeing this issue in the strobe mode. I just doubled check mine under a variety of strobe configurations, I have had no such issues as yet. Is there any correlation to having the strobe on for an extended period of time or is it seemingly a completely random occurance?

1dash1

Enlightened
I noticed something with my light in strobe mode and am not sure if it is expected or common, any thoughts would be appreciated. When the strobe is activated from the off position with the side switch for a few seconds and then released it appears the strobe is off and then about a 1/10 of a sec. later it will give off one more burst. It seems to only happen occasionally.

I can't duplicate that behavior using either 2x18500 or 2x18650. What setup are you using?