Olight S30R

revelations0350

Newly Enlightened
Just received my S30R and have it on the charger. Charger is similar to the SR20 charger but has a higher capacity 750mA vs 500mA. Light is smaller then I expected. If I had paid more attention to the specs I should have known the size and not been surprised. It is a only slightly larger then the SR20. If I had to choose only one between the 2 I would go with the S30R. I do think they both have their places and am glad I have both. Will check out the light output tonight and see how it stacks up against the Fenix UC35. The charging system on the S30R is by far superior to the UC35, the only advantage to the UC35 charging system is that it only requires a USB cable. Does not come with a holster/case which is a con. The included instructions say a lanyard is the box but the Olight web site does not show a lanyard as being included, I don't use one so it is not a big deal to me.

Can you post side by side pics? I have my s20r coming today.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
I have the last year model PD35, I use it at work, not very pocket friendly, hope the S30R more friendly than PD35, any one have picture compare them too?

P1X4R

Newly Enlightened
I have the last year model PD35, I use it at work, not very pocket friendly, hope the S30R more friendly than PD35, any one have picture compare them too?

IMG_4924_zps3309fdac.jpg

curlysir

Newly Enlightened
What does Olight's turbo mode means? Is it momentary click at 1000?

No, It stays in that mode. When you hold the button down it cycles between low, medium, and high. You have to click the button twice when on to go to turbo. When off you click twice if turbo was not the last mode used. The flashlight goes to the last mode used when you turn it on with 1 click, or turbo with 2 clicks.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
I just received mine in the mail today. The thing is tiny when it's next to my TN12 2014! UI is nice and i'm really liking the light so far. Just one question to other s30r owners is with regards to the low battery indicator light in the middle of the side switch. Mines doesn't turn on. When i received it in the mail today, i took the battery out and measured 3.61V - it's practically empty and needs to be charged. Of course, with the excitement of just receiving it, i couldn't help but play with it first anyways before i charged. I put it into turbo and left it on for a minute or so. With the battery at 3.61V, shouldn't i have been getting a blinking red low battery indicator light? I got nothing! Does this mean the blinking indicator light does not work on my model or does the circuit believe 3.61V is still not low enough to warrant a blinking low battery indicator light? Feedback would be appreciated!

Floating Spots

Enlightened
Got mine today. Nice light. Battery was extremely tight. I had to smack it with my palm hard to work the battery out. Took out the hologram battery polarity sticker and the battery now slides out nicely.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

kahuna2793

Newly Enlightened
S30r looks good about to order one. What everyone thinks about Olight s30r vs zebralight sc62 ?
I like sc62 pocket clip better but s30r UI better.

gteague

Newly Enlightened
i hadn't been keeping up with flashlights since my hds 'clicky' lights last forever and the tm26 just keeps on chugging for when i need to light up the more-than-immediate area! but edisonbright sent me an email with some discount pricing and i noticed the olight flashlights and although i've seen the brand around, i've never owned one.

the s10r caught my eye first as i love to carry a light not much taller than my belt is wide and i much prefer a side button to and endcap one. i have plenty of chargers, but the unique charging method looked intriguing as well so although they offered the model without the charger i went ahead and got the combo. the very low power and ability to candle-stand were nice features as well as the ability to go directly to full-power or last-used level from off, both of which my hds lights can do.

and while i was going through the rest of the ad, i saw the s30r and it recalled the semi-mistake i'd made with the nitecore ec25 i think it was--their smallest 18650 light. that one had a large head and was too long to fit on a belt without something pushing it off. to replace it i'd gotten one of those zebra lights which weren't much larger than the battery itself which was a perfect size, but the light sucked. it was advertised as around 900 lumens and it would have been lucky to make 250 i think. and the button was twitchy and erratic and the ui awkward. so i've been wanting to replace that one with a decent 18650 light for a long time now and hopefully the s30r will fill that bill. and it's nice to have two lights with essentially the same ui.

anyway, it was a pretty good discount of about 20% i think and it involved making an offer on ebay for the product with a specific amount and the offer was accepted right away. they shipped priority mail free and should be here the first of the week.

i'll never quit carrying my hds lights, but it never hurts to poke your head out and look around every now and then.

oh, and are the chargers on the s10r and the s30r the same? it looked like they were, but there could always be some internal circuitry difference.

thanks, /guy

/guy

gteague

Newly Enlightened
rec'd my s10r and s30r this morning and, to my surprise, found some unexpected differences between these two lights from the same family. of course the s30r wasn't released at the same time as the s10/s15/s20 models.

there was no lanyard in the s30r package and upon inspection i saw there is no provision for one on the tailcap as the s10r has. but further reading revealed one was supposed to be in the box--i guess it attaches to the top of the belt clip--no idea where it went missing. maybe edison will send me one if i email them.

the charger in the s30r package didn't have 'rev2' on it and the logo seemed a little less white than than the charger from the s10r package which did have 'rev2' on the charger box. also, the s30r charger has a lightning bolt icon on front where the light is and that icon is missing on the s10r charger. i was expecting to be able to use either charger for either light, but upon closer inspection i found that one charger had an output of 4.55v @500ma (0.5a) and the other one was 4.55v @750ma. and i do notice that if i put the s30r onto the 500ma charger the light blinks sort of erratically. also, the instructions don't say whether or not a solid red light means the light is charging, but i'm assuming that for now. also, the manual givess no indication of how long a full charge will take on either charger.

the biggest surprise though was a small difference in the ui of the two lights. the s30r lets you go from /off/ to /strobe/ with 3 clicks whereas the s10r requires 2 clicks from /on/. for a tactical light it's nice to be able to go from /off/ to /strobe/, but the s10r is hardly a tactical light and that is no problem for me as i hardly ever use the strobe and if i did i suspect it would be for emergency signaling and not tactical for stun.

i was prepared to put thread grease on either or both lights, but they both were adequately greased. they are both on the chargers now and pending a full charge before more testing and familiarization, but the build quality seems top-notch and the button pressure and tactile feedback seem very well chosen. so far i'm pretty well pleased with both items. i'll report back if there are any glitches.

/guy

Utew

Newly Enlightened
^ Nice observations, gteague =)

Curious about the charging base for the S10R seemingly not working correctly with the S30R, I would think both bases should work fine for both torches (albeit the 30R base charging a bit faster). I'm a little surprised that they changed the strobe access on the 30R, but it makes it less likely to enter strobe by accident, which is a good thing IMO. Honestly I'd rather have a beacon mode and/or SOS on the S series lights instead of strobe anyway. But you can't please everyone. ;)

Thanks for your update.

gteague

Newly Enlightened
^ Nice observations, gteague =)

Curious about the charging base for the S10R seemingly not working correctly with the S30R, I would think both bases should work fine for both torches (albeit the 30R base charging a bit faster). I'm a little surprised that they changed the strobe access on the 30R, but it makes it less likely to enter strobe by accident, which is a good thing IMO. Honestly I'd rather have a beacon mode and/or SOS on the S series lights instead of strobe anyway. But you can't please everyone. ;)

Thanks for your update.

the charging interface seems a little bit iffy and erratic just in my very limited trials so far. when connected to a usb port, the red light flashes about once per second or so. sometimes when the light is mounted the light just continues flashing which i'm assuming means it hasn't 'registered' with the charger. and sometimes i get a dual light flash where it flashes twice with no off time in-between, then pauses for about 3/4 second. usually just a little re-mounting or re-positioning of the light will change either behavior to a solid light but it's a little disappointing if the positioning needs to be that precise when mounting it as the magnetic force sort of just 'sucks it in' and you can't really steer it very well.

but i need more experience before concluding anything. just wish there was more documentation about expected charger behavior and whether you should have to take any care when mounting the light to the base.

btw, the s10r has finished charging. i didn't take a voltage reading of either battery before i started, but i was glad to see the light turn green after a little over an hour. this type of charger was never meant to be a rapid charger, so i really don't care how long these take as i always have charged spares or can throw the battery onto my xtar xp1 rapid charger if necessary.

/guy

Last edited:

Utew

Newly Enlightened
^Hmmm.. are you charging via a PC USB port or with a separate USB charger?
I use a mobile phone charger(1A) and have no issues with my S10R.
Just received notice that my S30R is shipping today from Illumn, should have it Wed or Thurs, be curious to see if my charging base exhibits the same effects as yours.

curlysir

Newly Enlightened
rec'd my s10r and s30r this morning and, to my surprise, found some unexpected differences between these two lights from the same family. of course the s30r wasn't released at the same time as the s10/s15/s20 models.

there was no lanyard in the s30r package and upon inspection i saw there is no provision for one on the tailcap as the s10r has. but further reading revealed one was supposed to be in the box--i guess it attaches to the top of the belt clip--no idea where it went missing. maybe edison will send me one if i email them.

the charger in the s30r package didn't have 'rev2' on it and the logo seemed a little less white than than the charger from the s10r package which did have 'rev2' on the charger box. also, the s30r charger has a lightning bolt icon on front where the light is and that icon is missing on the s10r charger. i was expecting to be able to use either charger for either light, but upon closer inspection i found that one charger had an output of 4.55v @500ma (0.5a) and the other one was 4.55v @750ma. and i do notice that if i put the s30r onto the 500ma charger the light blinks sort of erratically. also, the instructions don't say whether or not a solid red light means the light is charging, but i'm assuming that for now. also, the manual givess no indication of how long a full charge will take on either charger.

the biggest surprise though was a small difference in the ui of the two lights. the s30r lets you go from /off/ to /strobe/ with 3 clicks whereas the s10r requires 2 clicks from /on/. for a tactical light it's nice to be able to go from /off/ to /strobe/, but the s10r is hardly a tactical light and that is no problem for me as i hardly ever use the strobe and if i did i suspect it would be for emergency signaling and not tactical for stun.

i was prepared to put thread grease on either or both lights, but they both were adequately greased. they are both on the chargers now and pending a full charge before more testing and familiarization, but the build quality seems top-notch and the button pressure and tactile feedback seem very well chosen. so far i'm pretty well pleased with both items. i'll report back if there are any glitches.

/guy

The included instructions for the S30R do say a lanyard is the box but the Olight web site does not show a lanyard as being included in the Included Accessories, Olight must have changed their mind after the instructions were printed. I have the S30R and the S20R. The S20R charger appears to be the same charger as your S10R. I have used both chargers on both lights without any problems. The light does stay solid red until fully charged and then turns green. It also appears as if the S20R has the same ui as the S10R

gteague

Newly Enlightened
^Hmmm.. are you charging via a PC USB port or with a separate USB charger?
I use a mobile phone charger(1A) and have no issues with my S10R.
Just received notice that my S30R is shipping today from Illumn, should have it Wed or Thurs, be curious to see if my charging base exhibits the same effects as yours.

well, the s10r finished charging nearly two hours ago and the s30r is still charging so i will have to take it off and voltage test it i guess. hope i didn't get the charger that won't turn green when finished charging.

and i'm using a usb port from a powered hub. i have two ports on that hub which are 5-10 amp output so i'll try one of those ports for an hour before i give up on the green light coming on.

i took the s10r into a dark room and the levels are very well chosen i think. the moonlight mode lit up the smallish room very well and after a couple of seconds the ring inside the bezel started glowing green--but it's not very bright, not sure if you'd be able to easily see it from any distance.

/guy

gteague

Newly Enlightened
i got impatient and tired of waiting for the green light of the s30r charger so yanked the battery (which was not the slightest bit warm even after 4 hours on the charger) and put it in my xtar charger with the voltage readouts.

the 18650 3400mah battery reads between 4.02v @.25a charging rate and 4.14v @1.0a rate. either the charger is defective or even that voltage isn't enough to trigger the green light--technically i guess the full charge voltage is 4.20v. the xtar is still flashing one segment so i'm putting it on the 1.0a charge until the xtar indicates full charge.

i think the previous poster (utew) might be onto something and it might be best to use a hi-capacity wall to usb charger like the one for the ipad for the s30r. myself i have no problem using the s10r charger for trickle or yanking the battery and charging it externally.

when the xtar indicates full charge which should be very soon now as it's up to 4.19v, i'm going to put it back in the olight chargers to see if the green light comes on.

/guy

Floating Spots

Enlightened
Left my light on until it cycled into medium and wouldn't go any higher. Dropped it on the charging base and it took about 3.75 hours to turn green. This is connected to an Anker charger capable of 2.1 amps per port.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

gteague

Newly Enlightened
The included instructions for the S30R do say a lanyard is the box but the Olight web site does not show a lanyard as being included in the Included Accessories, Olight must have changed their mind after the instructions were printed. I have the S30R and the S20R. The S20R charger appears to be the same charger as your S10R. I have used both chargers on both lights without any problems. The light does stay solid red until fully charged and then turns green. It also appears as if the S20R has the same ui as the S10R

good info--thanks! /guy