OMG Lumens EDC Project

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Kind of CNC machine are you looking at for $14k with tooling(Tormach)?? I probably have $5k easy into just tooling. Also from reading your threads it appears you have no machining experience. Maybe you should pick up a cheap manual machine before making a $14000 investment and then crashing it due to lack of experience.

Mac
Yes I am looking at getting the Tormach. Have you gotten yours yet? I said hi to you on the CNC forums but didn't know if you would know who I was. I have read some horror stories about running the machine into the vise and such. Needless to say I will start on simple substrates with a slow feed rate and my hand on the emergency off button. I am doing a lot of reading to get myself familiar with everything. But I am sure there will be a steep learning curve.
Its not like I am a total newbie when it comes to working with metal though. I spent about 14 years in the sign industry manufacturing and installing signs. I have some experience with the CNC routers but most of my time was spent with manual routers, band saws, welding, and the like. It will be a fun learning experience I'm sure.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac,

Your new lathe looks great! I think I see a small crack . . . :nana: . . . just kidding.:crackup:

saabluster,

You may consider a used vertical machining center. I would be happy to help you pick one out. $15K would get you a nice one maybe with tooling too.

Happy Holidays Everybody!

Cheers
Dave

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
saabluster,

You may consider a used vertical machining center. I would be happy to help you pick one out. $15K would get you a nice one maybe with tooling too.

Happy Holidays Everybody!

Cheers
Dave
Thanks for the suggestion on a VMC. I have looked into that but I have size constraints as far as my shop goes. All the ones I looked at are huge. Not to mention that I would have used merchandise. If you know of a VMC in the same size range(1200lbs) of the Tormach for similar money let me know. Thanks again.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing wrong with a Tormach if your parts are small and you do not mind the extra time it takes to machine them.

Used production machinery can be had for a lot cheaper than new but you have to know how to evaluate the machine based on its history of use and its brand. That is what I was offering to help with. Take that VMC in my previous post, that would cost about $10,000 to $20,000 if you could find it hole-sale. The best places to look are machine tool auctions of factory liquidations.

Having said that and given your shop size limitations it sounds like you are limited to prototype sized machines. They are not built for the rigors of production and you do have to be careful if buying that kind of machine used.

Cheers
Dave

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing wrong with a Tormach if your parts are small and you do not mind the extra time it takes to machine them.

Used production machinery can be had for a lot cheaper than new but you have to know how to evaluate the machine based on its history of use and its brand. That is what I was offering to help with.
Thanks Dave. Its people like you that make this place so enjoyable.:thumbsup:

As far as the Tormach goes I think it will be just fine for what I need as I do not plan on huge production numbers.

SemiMan

Banned
Just so you know even if 50 people put down deposits of $100 it wouldn't even come close to covering the cost of the machine. With tooling and everything to have it setup and running it will be about $14000. You can imagine how stressful this is for me(an especially my wife) putting that kind of dough down hoping things will be OK. That said I have faith that people will like and be willing to pay for my work.

Ahhhh the joys of running your own business. When you have mortgaged your house, cashed in your savings and pulled money out of your retirement fund.... then I may start feeling a bit of sympathy... :)

On the business side, machining can cost a rediculous amount, but taking a step back, you are in the flashlight business, not the machining business (unless that is what you truly enjoy). If this is going to be your business and not your hobby, I suggest you find someone to do the work for you. With the economy today, a lot of people are hurting for work. Perhaps you can find someone that will either work cheap or will be creative in how they are paid (i.e. percentage of sales).

Semiman

naked2

Enlightened
I'm self employed as well, and I AM the company; no employees. Sometimes I buy a new tool that I never have had before, and thought I never needed; maybe because it was on sale or whatever. Once I've used it a few times, I ALWAYS end up thinking "How'd I ever get along without this thing!"

I bought a nice generator for the Y2K scare. 2000 came and went. I'd pull the thing out of my shed every quarter or so and fire it up, and drain and refill the gas once a year. Then about 4 years ago I had a job going that I needed the generator every day for about two weeks straight. I obviously wouldn't leave the thing on the job, and hauled it home every night. After the job was over, it sat in the back of my truck for about a week. One night it was stolen. I didn't even need it right away, but immediately missed it. I started shopping around the very next day, and had it replaced within the week.

Obviously it was nowhere near the cost of your new machine, but the point is, once you have a certain tool or piece of equipment of your own, you'll never want to be without it.

Best of luck in your new endeavor, and I wish you and your wife a healthy, happy, and prosperous New Year!

And what the heck, put me on the list! Hopefully by the time the Black Tie is ready to go to market, I'll have a good size job going with a few extra profit dollars in it, and be able to afford to pay for it!

Tony

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obviously it was nowhere near the cost of your new machine, but the point is, once you have a certain tool or piece of equipment of your own, you'll never want to be without it.
I concur wholeheartedly. When I first started in the sign business my boss had us digging holes with manual post hole diggers. When I went out on my own I bought a gas powered one. It cost more upfront but it paid for itself in no time. Sometimes it pays to not be cheap.

And what the heck, put me on the list!

Tony
Done. Thanks!

astrotec

Newly Enlightened
hello saabluster

i would like to stand in line for this unit. please add my name to the list of interested folk as well & thank you in advance for your support.

a.t.

Edit/Delete Message

hello again with great sadness i must step aside at this time as i am on furlough from work and collecting the gov. gratis (not much) but i have worked there 28 years .. so i guess this is my x mas bonus... :crackup::tinfoil:
by the way like your work and as work and funds become available i just might get back in line thank you
a.t.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
hello saabluster

i would like to stand in line for this unit. please add my name to the list of interested folk as well & thank you in advance for your support.

a.t.

Edit/Delete Message

hello again with great sadness i must step aside at this time as i am on furlough from work and collecting the gov. gratis (not much) but i have worked there 28 years .. so i guess this is my x mas bonus... :crackup::tinfoil:
by the way like your work and as work and funds become available i just might get back in line thank you
a.t.
Sorry to hear that. I have been there before myself. They pay only slightly better than you get for jury duty. Chin up mate. Something will turn up. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah. Have any experience assembling flashlights?:grin2:

partizan

Newly Enlightened
Hi Michael,
please add me to the DEFT list - international shipping to Europe. Can you update list to see, where I will be?
Thanks.
Slavo

partizan

Newly Enlightened
oops, it was a wrong place - black tie looks interesting also. i am sorry, michael, i have put order to right place under DEFT thread. thanks. slavo:oops: