Original Surefire A2 Aviator - worth upgrading anymore?

LRJ88

Enlightened
I'll grab a few pictures of mine when I get home.

Much appreciated.

IMG-20190125-180539.jpg

My pair of white LED users.
Top one is stock. Bottom has a Tads 3712.

A very nice pair, is the machining on the bottom one slightly softer along the transitions or is it just the light and colour playing tricks?

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... But having said this, I think that an a2 is an amazing light, if you replace stock led ring by something more advanced and up to date. In my case these are multi-mode Calypsoii rings with yuji leds

Yes, mine run @calipsoii rings ...

VbtcbBK.jpg

I hope i'm not derailing the thread with this, but would it be possible to get pictures of the Aviator? There's always a charm with the older models.

Sure ...

lg155W0.jpg

scout24

Flashaholic
I agree the Calipsoi and Koala rings are really the epitome of upgrades, as stated. The A2 comes from a different time, when there was a difference between a practical fashlight you could carry with you all the time, and a searchlight/spotlight for more serious use. Today, we have 500 plus lumen 100 yard lights you can palm that take up half the room of an A2. (4Sevens Mini Turbo, just one example) 50 yard 71 lumen lights make just as much usable light as they ever did, and work great within their limitations. Our expectations have just grown exponentially. I'd keep that A2 stock. If you have to make a flamethrower out of it, I believe Tana does 16650/ 18650 Triple and quad conversions these days. Of course, you're preserving the body of the light but not the spirit at that point.

Arch- Nice Aviators with your Aviators... :D

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man i have other problem...when is enough?? Have few and still thinking about getting another one[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
All have Koala ring BTW and would love to get Calipsoii at one point...
The fact that it's the only Surefire (that saw production) which uses softstart is even more sexier and unique.

@archimedes... that's real mathematical triangle[emoji123][emoji3][emoji3]

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention that my triplets are exact copy of Mr.Fixer's twins LOL

I hope OP got his answer..[emoji109][emoji109][emoji1690][emoji123]

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
These older lights can still be useful, as task lights and limited duty. Incandescent can be nice in cooler climates (illuminates and hand-warms). But I'd not bother upgrading your A2. You love the light, so keep it as a nostalgic piece. Fire it up on occasion. And if it's in top physical condition, that's a bonus.

There is something about having a very solidly built host. Surefire still does that extremely well, but for a hefty price. Some models lend themselves more to modding than others. I picked up a KROMA recently. And yes, it's quite dim in comparison to other lights I own, of smaller size. I bought an Astrolux S43S for 1/3rd the price and it's an entirely different class of functionality. But the Kroma has a weird, unusual design and feels so tremendously solid. While I'd been using my old NovaTac 120P in moonlight mode for short tasks late at night, I'm now enjoying use of the red illumination (easier on the eyes, so it has less impact on a sleepy mind). I'd been tempted to modify it, having a more powerful and Hi-CRI emitter installed, but now I'm feeling like it would be better off kept as stock.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't like it you can always sell it on here, a few of us who remember it for sentimental value might pop up with an offer.
Just thought you should know -- can't send you any PM's as your inbox is full.

scout24

Flashaholic
I hope i'm not derailing the thread with this, but would it be possible to get pictures of the Aviator? There's always a charm with the older models.

Well, here's another photo of a four flats A2. :) I thought this had been lost in a house fire, it was one of a bunch of things found in the rubble that were just tossed in a box to 'deal with later". I was going through things today, and jokingly twisted the tailcap. The red secondaries came on... A bunch of cleaning later, replacing o-rings, replacing cells and cleaning threads, and it all works... Score one for the home team... :thumbsup:
Now I need some new bulbs. The one in it works, need to get to Tad's order page...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144443229@N06/47072773291/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144443229@N06/46164139265/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:

LRJ88

Enlightened
Well, here's another photo of a four flats A2. :) I thought this had been lost in a house fire, it was one of a bunch of things found in the rubble that were just tossed in a box to 'deal with later". I was going through things today, and jokingly twisted the tailcap. The red secondaries came on... A bunch of cleaning later, replacing o-rings, replacing cells and cleaning threads, and it all works... Score one for the home team... :thumbsup:
Now I need some new bulbs. The one in it works, need to get to Tad's order page...

Still in really nice condition too, any potential internal damage aside. Also, the warning text on the head finally warranted the real estate it takes up.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

That thing still works?!! That's amazing.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's incredible it still works. But... how does it smell? :tinfoil:

scout24

Flashaholic
The "nasty exploded lithium" smell is worse than anything else. It's sitting open right now to air out. It's got some friends that have survived in similar shape, so there's hope. The Nitrolon lights were the worst. My G2's and G3's that were found had to be tossed... :green::sick2::mecry:

Rabbit44

Newly Enlightened
What rechargeable would be recommended for My original Surefire A2, I would like to not have to order regular batteries for it, thank you.