Original Surefire A2 Aviator - worth upgrading anymore?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Go with two RCR123 Lithium Ion batteries. Other members have noted no problems with that setup. The Li Ions will over volt the Led ring, but I have never had a problem.

Bill

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
What if you used LiFe batteries like those from K2 energy (the kind Surefire sells on their website)? Then you won't be overdriving the LEDs nearly as much as the voltage range of those cells is lower then Li-ion.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What if you used LiFe batteries like those from K2 energy (the kind Surefire sells on their website)? Then you won't be overdriving the LEDs nearly as much as the voltage range of those cells is lower then Li-ion.
I've been told some folks reported that the said cells would work. However the A2's battery chamber is extremely picky and that most RCRs won't even fit in.

But for the sake of the LED onion ring I'll simply run with primaries only.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using my A2's on and off for a long time. I have two left now, a four flats (stock bulb, primaries, and UV 365nm LEDs I installed on the stock ring) and a round body. I run AW R123's in my round body along with an onion ring and a Strion bulb/adapter. Never had any probs at all. I remember reading here that the A2 Incan regulator can handle up to 9v, so no worries with RCR123's, though the LED's and stock ring would be overdriven.

I still love my A2's. These two are keepers for sure.👍

DeLighted

Newly Enlightened
Put a Tads Customs adapter in it and a 3712 bulb.
Google Tads Customs for his eBay store.

You'll thank him later.

I looked at his site and reviewed his selection of lamps. You recommend the 3712 bulb. Any comments on the A3718 w/140 lumen with only 1/3 more current draw (.6a) How long does your A3712 last on a set of batteries?

Thanks

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've never timed how long they last. I just use a light until it runs out of fuel and swap in a new fuel source.

I figured the amount of increase in lumens wasn't enough to make ahelluva difference so I went the the 3712

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I looked at his sight and saw his selection of lamps. You recommend the 3712 bulb. Any comments on the A3718 w/140 lumen with only 1/3 more current draw (.6a) How long does your A3712 last on a set of batteries?

Thanks

I've swapped back and forth between the 3712 and the 3718 for about a month now, in both an A2 Aviator, as well as an E2E, running multiple types of batteries from 16650 to 26650.

It's my opinion that the 3718 is not worth the reduced runtime versus the 3712. The only real advantage the 3718 has, other than slighty more brightness, is that the is the hotspot is larger than the 3712.

With that said, if you don't care about runtime whatsoever, then run the 3718.

sgt253

Enlightened
Man yazkaz I sure would love to see some beam shots if you were able to post some. This drop in sounds really interesting...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I guess that I like the stock ican driver. Voltage regulated, and ble to handle two Li-Ions. SF came out with am all LED A2 yeas ago. It just didn't have the magic of the original. I wonder how LF bi passes the A2's voltage regulated circuit with their constant current regulated LED drop in?

Bill

Signalcorpsoperator

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the beamshots, if you could post some! I've an A2 that I've been on the fence about picking up that LED drop-in for. . .

Tom

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how LF bi passes the A2's voltage regulated circuit with their constant current regulated LED drop in?
LF didn't bypass the in-body driver; it kind of complements it. But the driver concerned did pose certain headache to LF when developing the main LED dropin. Simply put, the dropin can't have extra-high specs as the in-body driver would eventually step down everything to regulate (ie. decrease) the overall output. So unless the in-body driver can be tweaked or modified, there's no way to further increase the LED module's output whatsoever.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the beamshots, if you could post some! I've an A2 that I've been on the fence about picking up that LED drop-in for. . .
Not easy to pull off beamshots, but I can try. I may even consider posting a small video walkthrough as well as comparison between this and the E2e tower module.

chainsolid

Newly Enlightened
I keep original led ring (White)and Incan, Use onion ring (Red)and Lumen factory HO-A2
use with Surefire LiFePo4 still ok.

502179853999800599.jpg

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I love mine. I don't really consider anything that you can do for them to be an upgrade. They are already perfect as is. I am still running the factory, red ring and factory lamp assembly. I am also running LFP cells.