Patents - High Power LED heatsinking

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I see a familiar light... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

So much talk of patents lately... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I am with Wylie and the rest of you. I actually held a patent for a while (although it has long since expired due to non-maintenence) and the way we got it granted was through amendments.

If you apply for something that is too similar to something else, your attorney simply amends the specifications until the patent office clerk handling your case gives in and awards the patent. We went through seven amendment episodes before I got mine granted.

That is why a little tweak here or there can get the patent granted. But part of the reason I no longer pay the fees to maintain my patent is becasue there are many, Many, MANY similar things out there now that would be indefensible for me since I had to narrow my original application down with such specificity that it became useless...

Heatsinking to at least some degree is an inherent requirement to the mechanical success of any light, even an incandescent. It would be like someone trying to patent the fact a knife has to have a sharp edge in order to cut stuff...

Now to Design Patent a particular style/type/curvature/"design" of a knife blade's edge, now that might be another story altogether. But then to avoid patent infringement, knifemakers would simply make blades of a different shape...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
You know something? In viewing the drawing, it sure looks suspiciously JUST LIKE the McLux Bulkhead heatsink design!!!

Here is the link to the drawing: Link

Don, if you are reading this, when did you first post about your EDC prototype?

FreeBSDboy

Newly Enlightened
IMHO, being a holder a degree in mechanical engineering, they are trying to patent something blatently obvious from a thermal design perspective -- Oh, it's in a tube? Well, give it a round heatsink! I don't personally see how having a LED attached to it makes it any different. Maybe that's why I didn't become a lawyer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hummmm..........

Seems to me that anyone planning to use a high power LED who also understands the thermal issues involved will come up with a thermal path and strategy that is dictated by necessity. Such a path is likely to be described in one or another embodiment described in this patent application. Has anyone patented the use of water in fish tanks? :p

- Don

tonyb

Enlightened
Lawyers will try to patent anything. If it gets granted one is another story!

LED-FX

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lawyers will try to patent anything. If it gets granted one is another story!

[/ QUOTE ]

Other way about afraid, possible to get patent on anything , enforcing it is what costs.

Recent obviously dodgy patents, can`t put paws on refernces but google will pull them up. `swinging a swing side to side`Patented.`Entertaining a cat with a laser pointer` Patented.Australian application to patent the wheel.....

If you have big name lawyers and loads of money it really dosen`t matter if your patent is bleeding obvious rather than bleeding edge.You can run the `infringer` out of money long before any requirement to prove your patent was a novel invention.

Its a tactic thats been employed a lot, especially with U.S. patents, for flashlights, LED lights and lights.Main winner local Lexus and Mercedes dealers supplying upgrades to all those lawyers...

Adam