Puke inducing flashlight

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flashlight Weapon Makes Targets Throw Up

Thank goodness, I thought this was going to be about some flashlight upsetting the retail giant, Target, and making them want to keep tactical type flashlights out of their stores. :)

jeremyison05

Newly Enlightened
Re: hm.. interesting.. flashlight that makes you vomit

:faint::paypal:

That's pretty interesting. Even though people react to light in different ways, if it saves one life in the line of duty it was money well spent.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would have to see it for myself to believe it. :barf:

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened

A LOT of flashlights make me want to vomit. And you don't even have to turn them on! :)

Warp

Enlightened

I've seen that before, some time ago, on either the Discovery or History channel.

It's an interesting tool to have, but won't have a tremendous impact IMO.

If they look away, or are facing away, or it is during the day, or in a well lit area....not very effective.

Unless the light doubles as an ordinary flashlight/illumination tool, will there be room on an officers belt?

It surely will not effectively effect everybody. If a criminal is facing/attacking a law enforcement officer, a flashing light isn't what they should be relying on...even in the realm of less lethal devices. Taser X26 anyone? Or pepper spray. Or a baton, when implemented correctly.

But then what do I know? Time will tell.

kanarie

Enlightened

Looks a bit like the "rainbow effect" on DLP projectors with a slow colorwheel
a few seconds is enough to make me sick.

Marduke

Flashaholic

I think this is more of a crowd control weapon more than individual one-on-one. Something to keep in the trunk beside the bean bag shotgun for a specific situation. Or, another tool to keep control in a prison or jail cell setting. You have to remember, in a law enforcement setting, any less than lethal device is always backup up with a lethal weapon.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:
So is the idea that the Border Patrol just uses it on people when they see somebody who looks like an illegal? As the suspected illegals puke, they get searched and cuffed on the ground in their puke. After they are searched and cuffed they are put in the back of the Suburban covered in puke, where they may or may not continue to puke. Then do the Border Patrol agents get to drive them like that back through the desert? I suppose the agents will also have to clean out the car at the end of the night, right?

worldedit

Enlightened

This light makes people puke? I want to see that!

If it doesnt, any bright flashlight will do the job.

Are there better pictures? The light doesnt look very durable.

Does anyone know wich leds it uses and how bright it is? Looks yust like a 5mm cluster.

Khaytsus

Enlightened

The tax dollars wasted on this makes ME want to puke... I wonder how many thousands each one will cost, and how long they'll hold up? They look like a klunky chunk of cheap plastic.

Marduke

Flashaholic

The tax dollars wasted on this makes ME want to puke... I wonder how many thousands each one will cost, and how long they'll hold up? They look like a klunky chunk of cheap plastic.

Like I said before, this isn't something that will live on a duty belt. It will reside in a trunk or cabinet for most of the time. It might only be used once for 20 seconds in it's entire lifetime. For that purpose, it doesn't need to be machined out of a solid block of titanium, or be able to stop a bullet. Also, the light pictured was just the first working prototype (read the fine print).

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

One might ask what situations have occurred at the U.S./Mexico border that the agents there need something they don't have? And does the flashlight solve those specific problems (assuming it really causes the effects claimed)?

It is usually better to work backwards from the problem, rather than starting with a gee-whiz solution--only to find it solves a problem that doesn't exist. The better solution might be as mundane as more training. Or maybe, in the grand scheme of things, there isn't a problem.

gearbox

Newly Enlightened

They gave up on the "brown sound" sonic modulation to pursue an EM wave that makes illegals cranky?

OddOne

Enlightened

What's sad is that someone else patented this very idea back in 2001. So, IOS is hardly the first one to think of it.

The #1 use for this will be immediate visual effect, namely the reflexive closing of eyes and/or turning away from a strong, intense light source. The disorienting effect would at best be incidental and will likely take a good number of seconds to a minute or longer to come to pass, as is the case with all sensory-overload weapons (e.g., sonic weapons).

What's sad is how sickeningly easy it'd be to make one...

oO

bigfoot

Enlightened

Interesting idea behind the purpose of this light. Like Art mentioned, who is gonna clean up all the vomit?

I can just imagine the lawsuit if someone (suspect, officer, bystander) either puked on someone else or came into contact with said puke and it gave them some sort of sickness or disease.

We need more officers on the border and tougher employer sanctions, not throw-up flashlights.