Real life Sci-fi 2013

Real life sci fi.

I got a smartwatch for Christmas. Yesterday I used it as an MP3 player. Then I dictated a txt message and sent it. Then called my wife to make dinner plans. Then I asked it when Spock died. All without touching it, no cell phone in sight.

Samsung Gear S watch. Life is Good!

Daniel

I must say, "How cool is that!"

~ Chance

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump: Belated info on the Starfish Prime 'experiment' in 1962.

While the article plays down the significance, the extensive damage it caused at the time was not trivial! either in Space or on-the-ground. At the time, the EMP effects from a nuclear explosion were only suspected at best.

In another time/place, my brother served as a silicon foundry manager. Developing true rad-hard chips impervious to deep-space hard radiation was the most difficult task that foundry had - very high reject rate. Chip hardening against an EMP pulse was yet another challenge

StarHalo

Flashaholic
So the Kepler telescope observes entire groups of stars watching for tiny and rhythmic dips in brighness as planets pass in front of them; visible light gradually dips to up to 1%, then gradually returns to full brightness, observable on a regular cycle as the planet comes around again on its orbit. It's discovered many thousands of planets this way, searching for predictable and repeatable tiny variations in brightness.

Kepler has now observed a specific star that drops up to 22% in brightness, suddenly and with no pattern whatsoever. There is no known or conceived natural phenomenon that could be responsible for this observation - so is the cause not natural? Is it engineering? Read for yourself..

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Update: The Kepler telescope was damaged some time ago, so these are the last readings we'll get from this star for some time.

Also Update: SETI is scrambling to listen in on this star's location.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
More Update: Didn't notice it before, but the graphs within the article are clearly not the transits of round objects; the ~800 day event dims progressively and then cuts out abruptly - this would indicate a triangle-like shape. The ~1500 day event has two objects that produce the exact same contour, but the second is smaller than the first. And there is a perfectly symmetrical object between those two. The "non-natural" explanation makes more sense in this light..

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump: Here are Aviation Leak's technology predictions for 2016. The countering technologies for unmanned A/C seem obvious, but I have not observed that many together on a single platform. I would suspect that a focused EMP emission will be included in the package. The only catch is the ability to optically detect & track the flying objects. RDF does not seem all that unreasonable, given the tracking technology in a HARM missile, even if the emitter shuts down. If done correctly, RDF can locate an emitting object on 2 axis w/in about a minute.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Yet more update on the Kepler mystery/KIC '52/Tabby's Star: An astronomer at Louisana State University manually searched photographic plates of that region of space dating back to the late 19th century, only to find that the star has occasionally but repeatedly made unexplainably significant dips in intensity for as far back as the record goes. So it's not a stray comet cloud..

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0E5KDoSRHU#t=63

Einstein was right all along about gravitational waves

gravitational-waves-01-670x440-160210.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
Re: Real life Sci-fi

Those would make nice live wallpaper on an Android phone.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

SpaceX landing_______yes landing!

spacex.jpeg

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

Last night there was a startling bang that sounded like a massive thunder boom, my dog jumped like never before.
The weather didn't support thunder, so I figured some kind of sonic boom maybe (right around 1:30am)

On the local news this morning there were many reports of a meteor across my area at that same time.

Sonic boom by a meteor !:twothumbs

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

This map shows the trajectory and where it likely exploded before crashing into Lake Michigan

Various Wisconsin agencies were even more accurate (aired on my news) the trajectory was even closer to me.
They tracked w/ radar & had altitude of 8000' the size of meteor still being determined

Put it this way, it passed just south of the city which is my mailing address,
.. if you looked at a full US map, I was in the bullseye at 1:30am.

Once in a lifetime

32596222202_ecf56afd76_o.png

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/u...-explodes-over-wisconsin-monday-morning/79068

Burgess

Flashaholic

VERY neat !

I experienced a bolide on March 26, 2003,
shortly before Midnight.

Didn't even know * WHAT * it was,
until the next day on TV news !

Now known as " The Park Forest, Illinois meteorite "

Didn't see it Close-Up , but rather just as
a sudden " Bright Sky at Night " event !

Followed by distant, but distinct , Thunder.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

+

This map shows the trajectory and where it likely exploded before crashing into Lake Michigan

Various Wisconsin agencies were even more accurate (aired on my news) the trajectory was even closer to me.
They tracked w/ radar & had altitude of 8000' the size of meteor still being determined

Put it this way, it passed just south of the city which is my mailing address,
.. if you looked at a full US map, I was in the bullseye at 1:30am.

Once in a lifetime

You still have a chance to experience another one. After all, it did not hit you this time.
:)

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Bumping this thread for newly declassified data; On July 9th, 1962, ~900 miles SW of Hawaii, a 1.4 megaton nuclear warhead was sent 250 miles up into space atop a Thor missile and detonated around 10pm local time. The explosion soundlessly yielded the traditionally-reported phasing through the visible spectrum of colors, however it also produced a plainly visible aurora borealis, despite the nearly equatorial latitude. The blast sent down a storm of charged particles powerful enough to damage phone lines and electrical equipment not just in Hawaii but even in New Zealand. We now know for certain that mankind has had the ability to create an aurora borealis for over half a century.

The full article, more pictures, video of a space detonation here.

View of the sky from the Maui station ~900 miles from the blast:
f0581sV.jpg