Recommendation for hiking flashlight

wiiawiwb

Newly Enlightened
The notion of using the same battery format for both handlight/headlight makes sense.

If I were to go with one of the HDS models then wouldn't I be forced to use the 123 format?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The notion of using the same battery format for both handlight/headlight makes sense.

If I were to go with one of the HDS models then wouldn't I be forced to use the 123 format?
My suggestion of sticking to the same battery format is more for simplicity and ease of use since you are not really into flashlight and only touch them maybe four times a year. Personally I carry a load of different battery sizes for all my lights on a trek ranging from AAA, AA to 18650. That is because I play with my lights frequently and know which battery to fit into any particular light. If you were to go the HDS route, you are NOT forced to adhere to the 123 format. It is your call if you would prefer to have the same battery sizes for all your lights. I use the Zebralight H501w headlamp for my trekking and camping trips and it uses AA battery size, and I also bring along spare rechargeable CR123 for my HDS clicky.

tandem

Enlightened
The notion of using the same battery format for both handlight/headlight makes sense. If I were to go with one of the HDS models then wouldn't I be forced to use the 123 format?

At the moment, yes. They do not offer an AA format light currently and have been long time supporters of the CR123A cell, but apparently an AA or 2xAA body is in the works.

Lack of support for AA cell format is perhaps more than any other reason why I do not own a HDS EDC light. If I could have bought a HDS 1xAA EDC Clicky with the same great build quality and feature set as their current CR123 based product I would have. They are great lights with an interesting feature set and I'm sure (actually I'm wholly positive) I'd enjoy owning one, but they don't (yet) support the cells I prefer to use for pocket lights. When they do, we shall see ... :)

But in the here and now I use my most of my lights quite a bit including whatever I'm carrying as an EDC, and for ecology and economy reasons, heavy use for me speaks to using rechargeable cells of some sort. To get 120 or even 170 lumen output (these days) in a reliable, small and comfortable to carry light I do not need to go to CR123A cells or rechargeable lithium ion cells -- AA NiMH rechargeable cells are more than up to the task.

You should make up your own mind about what type of battery technology works for you for everyday life and for hiking and hopefully the two will intersect.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened

It would depend on how long your hiking trips go for and whether you want to minimize the number of spare batteries you are prepared to carry. If you're only going to be gone for a couple of days, setting off with fresh cells in your primary and secondary lights may be sufficient for your trip. A lot will depend on your usage of course, and I think it's always a good idea to bring extra batteries anyway. Unforseen circumstances may turn your 2 day hike into a week or even more. If your primary and secondary lights use different battery types, then you will need to carry a spare battery of each type. Also, if you have used up all your spare batteries, you will not be able to scavenge the battery from your secondary to power your primary and vice versa. I would not be relying on sourcing batteries elsewhere regardless of the battery type, if I were you. Bring what you think you will need and then double or even triple it.

bstrickler

Enlightened
I would suggest a Surefire 6P/9P with a Malkoff M61W dropin. Surefire lights are pretty damn bomb-proof, especially if you keep the Z41 twisty.

It *should* never fail you. The only major failure's Ive seen are running high current through the light, and wearing through/shredding the tailcap shroud. The latter doesn't affect the function of the light, though, except for maybe its waterproofing.

I would suggest 18650's with the 6P and 18500's for the 9P if you're running around casually, like taking the dog for a walk, but don't be afraid of keeping at least 1 set of CR123's on you. They don't weigh much. I carry a 4-pack of CR123's with me for my Quark 123 (single 123), and it doesn't weigh me down, or bother me at all.

If you get a 9P, you can always get an A19 extender, so you can run 2 18650's for extra long runtime with the Malkoff. You will have to remove the extender, or use a dummy CR123 cell (aluminum spacer shaped like a CR123) to run with the Malkoff without frying it.

For the red filter, you can get a filter pack from Lighthound for $10+shipping

http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforc...olarforce-Lighthound-and-GP-heads_p_2818.html

~Brian

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ultimate hiking light is a surefire incandescent. I love the E2o outdoorsman with mn02 bulb.

And I used to trek around with a Surefire M6 and M2. M6 with MN21 for power and M2 with P60 for longer run time. In one night I usually consume about 8 to 10 CR123.

REDAT9-AP1

Newly Enlightened
Hey brotha i was in the same boat you're in... so like you i came here for advice.. and you know what i got...? I got a Fenix tk40 Honestly, in my opinion all you need is a good head lamp and a Fenix tk40. Y u might ask... because the tk40 runs on AA batteries (alkaline or rechargable) and more than likey you head lamp will use AA batteries too... So you wont need to buy or stock different types of batteries... and the tk40 is (in my opinion and many other people i'm sure) an insane light with all the levels of brightness you will need when outdoors (Low 13lumens 150hrs slow flashing, Med 93lumens 20hrs SOS, high 277lumens 6.8hrs fast flashing and turbo 630lumens 2hrs Strobe):twothumbs .(i'm an outdoor person my self) and incase of an emergency where u cant get your self out the SOS signaling mode will help when search and rescue helicopter is looking for you!!! i just got mine delivered today and just by playing with it today i know for sure it's the light i need when hiking. and is pretty much bomb proof. Check out the torture test that one of the cpf members did. you can also google (Fenix tk40 torture test) incase you have trouble finding it here on cpf. trust me you will b impressed. He dropped it many times from different heights and angles. He froze it in a block of ice, boiled it in a pot, and ran it over with a truck many times and it still worked perfectly...!!! So i'm just saying bro, check it out... Peace...:twothumbs Oh, but at 8 inches long it's 1inch longer than what you wanted but i dont think that's a big deal. and as far as price goes. i got 8 Sanyo eneloops $19.77 Fenix tk40 $134.95 both on amazon.com and the M8800 Titanium smart fast 8bay battery charger with discharge mode for $35 shipped from batteryjunction.com so all together grand total $189.72 which is under your budget and red lense is also available for night time, as is a white or red wand that goes over head of light to make close use of light for reading maps or other stuff...

Last edited:

wiiawiwb

Newly Enlightened
At the moment, yes. They do not offer an AA format light currently and have been long time supporters of the CR123A cell, but apparently an AA or 2xAA body is in the works.
L

After my last post I read the thread where Henry said HDS is close to releasing their AA format. I think I will give them a ring and see how far out that is.

JTElectric

Newly Enlightened
Just thought I'd chime in with my .02 cents...

Surefire (and HDS from what I've read) are the ultimate in reliability, nice and simple, bulletproof lights.

If I was to do a lot of night hiking, and the possibility of being stranded in the outdoors, I'd want 3 lights minimum, that ran off of one power source, that had good shelf life in case they weren't used often. The LED technology is amazing these days, 3 years ago my answers would be far different. Here's my recommendations, and what I'd likely carry in your situation:

1--Surefire E2L Outdoorsman OR G2X Pro 2 level...E2L wins for size, G2X wins for the Nitrolon. Ever hold an aluminum light in the cold with bare hands? Brrrrrr! Nitrolon rocks.

2--Surefire Saint headlamp. Great flood lamp, 100 lumens, good enough throw for a headlamp. PLUS they do SOS with 3 on/off twists... and the brightness is variable, unlike a lot of other lights, to save battery life. Break your ankle, it would be nice to have SOS flashing wherever you looked, even on it's lowest setting, It should be visible in the dark for a few hundred yards line of sight.

3--4Sevens Quark Mini 123---awesome little lights, barely bigger than a spare battery. Low runs for hours and hours, and provides more than enough walking light, glass window, hard anodized, easy to hold with your mouth if you need to. Also does strobe/SOS/beacon if necessary, and the 189 lumens on high is just ridiculous for a little light like this. You COULD step up to a Quark 123 and gain a clip and pushbutton, but it's a little bigger.

With those 3 lights you'd be good to go basically anywhere in my opinion, and they're all very durable. Cost should run around $200 total, if you went with a G2X, Saint Minimus, and a Mini 123. Good luck with your search! Justin

PS the tint on the Surefire's is *usually* nice and white, and slightly cool in the 4Sevens IMO.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get the Surefire Saint headlamp

Since you quote a $300 budget, get a simple Peak single AA light with "twistie" switch that you wear around your neck with a lanyard. Specify what power level you want (maybe 24 hours of runtime for "survival?") I've had one for 5 years, it has gone through hell but won't break. They run about $50.

A light to carry around for throw? Since the Saint headlamp runs on one, two or three CR123A batteries--or two AA if you like.... and the long runtime single AA around the neck "survival" light runs on AAs... a cheaper Chinese 2AA light should be fine. The Surefire head lamp will provide most of the light, the Peak for emergency light and Brand X "mega-throw 2AA" for the "what's that?" light.

Bomb-proof CR123/2AA headlamp, 1AA lanyard light with no switches or electronic programing to break (no glass to break etc) pick up a cheap thrower and you're still at your budget.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got back from a backpacking trip in the smokies and this is the 2nd consecutive trip that I brought my Surefire Saint Minimus and my HDS Clicky. Great combination of lights... If I could only bring one of them backpacking, I would bring the Clicky and a headband to use it as a headlight... NiteIze makes one that works good.

This is all you need for backpacking... probably much more than you need.

I used the same battery for this 3 day trip that I did for the 6 day trip I took in August and it was starting to crap out on the last morning of the 3 day trip... We hiked out of camp at 6:00 while it was still dark and the Saint was losing high and everything else, but it hung in there nicely and did its job.

Good luck.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1000 on Zebralight headlamps!

The tiny size and the ability to use it away from the head is something not possible with bulky jockstrap headlamps. The feeling of liberation of not having to wear a headlamp on your head is something you need to experience. Also untouched is the ability to quickly change the battery without moving the light from where it is.

Last edited:

AusKipper

Enlightened
I'm not adding anything new, just +ing some things:

+1 on any flashlight can fail (even RA and Surefires fail), carry 2.
+1 on one of them being a headlight
+1 on AA's these days. Quark AA^2 Turbo + Zebralight H501 should suit your needs, assuming you already have a AA charger and some eneloops, and aren't going to turn into a flashaholic.

Even if you dont already have a charger and stuff, your more likely to pick up AA items in the future, so i would stick with AA.

If your going to turn into a flashaholic, lots of very nice lights only come in CR123/18650 form, so your going to end up with rechargeables/charger for them anyway. If you think you may turn into one in the future, i prefer the size/shape of my 2xCR123 lights than 2xAA lights for pocketing.

wiiawiwb

Newly Enlightened
Update......

I just order the HDS Tactical 120. I figured I would get a primary flashlight that would be bombproof and would stand up to the elements if I were alone, in the woods, in a survival situation. I was not concerned about getting the 170-lumen version.

My thought was to use the difference in price, $80, toward a backup flashlight in the very unlikely event of failure or I simply lost the HDS.

I'll probably look for something that is also rugged, can throw out some decent light (>200 lumen) and has multiple/adjustable settings. I'll be looking to spend ~ $100+.

So, step one is completed and now my hunt for the backup light begins. Who would have thought that the search for a flashlight could be this much fun!

Kindly know that it would have been a nightmare without everyone's informed and thoughtful help.

Thank you all.

JTElectric

Newly Enlightened
Surefire G2X Pro! 200/15 lumens, 45 hours on low, 2.5 hours on high, easy to hold in the cold/wet. $65 bucks. Then spend $35 on CR123s and live happily ever after!:thumbsup:

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Update......

I just order the HDS Tactical 120. I figured I would get a primary flashlight that would be bombproof and would stand up to the elements if I were alone, in the woods, in a survival situation. I was not concerned about getting the 170-lumen version.

My thought was to use the difference in price, $80, toward a backup flashlight in the very unlikely event of failure or I simply lost the HDS.

I'll probably look for something that is also rugged, can throw out some decent light (>200 lumen) and has multiple/adjustable settings. I'll be looking to spend ~ $100+.

So, step one is completed and now my hunt for the backup light begins. Who would have thought that the search for a flashlight could be this much fun!

Kindly know that it would have been a nightmare without everyone's informed and thoughtful help.

Thank you all.

Great choice for a primary light. For your backup I'm assuming that you will want a headlamp.There are several >200 lumen headlamps around the 80~100 mark. Fenix have the HP20 and HP10, Spark has the ST6-220CW, and Zebralight has the H31 and H30. I would rule out the Fenix lamps because they use 4xAA. Not only is it not compatible with your primary but you will need to carry at least 4 x AA batteries as spares. Similarly, the Spark uses a 18650 cell. I don't know if you're already setup for 18650's but if you're not, expect to shell out $60 for a charger and 2 x 18650 cells. Plus rechargeables are not as reliable as primaries. That leaves the Zebralight H31. It uses a single CR123 cell so it's compatible with your primary. It can be handheld and used as a standard flashlight if required. As mentioned by Davidt1, it's extremely light and therefore comfortable to wear for long stretches. It has multi-modes and great runtimes. It has 220 lumens plus decent throw because it uses a standard reflector. It's cheap - $59 delivered. There is however a question mark about the reliability of Zebralights but I haven't heard of any reported issues with this particular model. It's a newer model and I believe some of the issues may have been addressed. In any case, I think durability is less of an issue with headlamps because they are less likely to be bumped and dropped. This is even more so with the H31 because it is so small and has such a low profile that it would be near impossible to bump it whilst it's on your forehead.

There are probably more candidates that I haven't mentioned, but for your requirements and budget, I think the Zebralight H31 is the ideal choice.

Last edited:

wiiawiwb

Newly Enlightened
I think I will get a backup flashlight next then wrap everything up with a headlight.

The backup flashlights that I'm thinking about are:

1) Fenix TK-15 (soon to be released)
2) EagleTac T20C2 MKII
3) Quark 123^2 Turbo
4) Jet III-M R5
5) Maelstrom GR

Any thoughts about these?

Last edited: