Recommendations on a good throw flashlight

BigJoeXXL

Newly Enlightened
Looking to surprise my father with a good thrower flashlight. He wouldn't want me to spend more than 50 bucks. Basically he likes to go out walking at like 4 a.m for his exercise and play with his dinky flashlight he has now. I really want to impress my father with this flashlight so please help me find a good choice. Has anyone ever heard of the flashlight in the link below?

YEZL Y3 Type A CREE XM-L2 T6 1100LM 4-Mode Memory White LED Flashlight-Black(1x26650)

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

ven

Flashaholic
Would recommend some good flood too for walking,not heard of that light and its a 26650 cell.

Maybe 18650 will give you better choice,also it does not look pocketable either,maybe a consideration:thumbsup:

UnderPar

Enlightened
Me too. Haven't heard about the flashlight on the link that you provided but you may also check out other brands to further improve your choices then narrow it down to your preference. Brands like Nitecore, FourSevens, SupBeam. Xtar, etc. have value for money models that could give you make your father happy. Not necessarily less than $ 50.

BigJoeXXL

Newly Enlightened
Oh believe me I understand $50 is not a lot. What would be some model numbers I could look up?

ven

Flashaholic
xtar b20
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?367200-XTAR-B20-Pilot-1x18650-Review

Good value light,1000lm

Just one example.
Look at the fenix range,nitecore and sunwayman,some offer great performance on AA cells without the issues of li-ion,maybe easier for your dad as you would need to invest in a charger if not already.....again just options too.

The ea8 for example is a larger 8x AA light,with use of eneloops will offer great performance too,nice floody useful beam with good throw too.

A good pocket friendly or more pocket friendly light would be the sunwayman d40a............

Maybe easier overall

MBentz

Enlightened
A standard Armytek Predator 2.5 (non Pro version) is within reach at that price. The Predator is the best throwing single 18650 light that can still fit in your pocket.

BigJoeXXL

Newly Enlightened
Armytek flashlight looks interesting. I just watched a couple YouTube videos on them.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
My thrower is a Fenix e40, it is a good light for everyday use, basic, simple, aa batteries, 35 dollars, fits in a pocket.

ven

Flashaholic
If it is mainly a thrower for use then another vote for the armytek predator:thumbsup:

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
If it is mainly a thrower for use then another vote for the armytek predator:thumbsup:

YUP, armeytek for throw!

I would not get the B20, its a flooder, with some slight throw, I would class it as a multi use sport light, wich is what it is sold as, not floody enugh for bikeing, but not a thrower, a good all rounder though.

Poppy

Flashaholic
xtar b20
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?367200-XTAR-B20-Pilot-1x18650-Review

Good value light,1000lm

Just one example.
Look at the fenix range,nitecore and sunwayman,some offer great performance on AA cells without the issues of li-ion,maybe easier for your dad as you would need to invest in a charger if not already.....again just options too.

The ea8 for example is a larger 8x AA light,with use of eneloops will offer great performance too,nice floody useful beam with good throw too.

A good pocket friendly or more pocket friendly light would be the sunwayman d40a............

Maybe easier overall

Depending upon your dad's mechanical ability, and per-chant for tinkering, you should decide on battery format. If your dad has a work-bench, and likes to fix things, then I would get an 18650 based light. Otherwise, I'd get a multi-cell AA based light. Personally *I* prefer 18650 lights. If your dad will run the batteries dead before he even thinks about getting replacement batteries, or charging them, then get an AA based light.

ven's recommedation of the B20 is IMO a solid recommendation is it's ease of charging for a person who may not keep an eye on battery charge level. Otherwise his other recommendations of multicell aa lights are the direction I might go for my dad. Walmart sells coleman and Ozark Trail multicell AA lights for less than $30 that would leave some room in your budget for some rechargeable duracells and a charger.

BTW... I would definitely get a charger that I could plug into the car cigar lighter, or USB port so that the batteries could be recharged in the event of a power failure.

ven

Flashaholic
Looking to surprise my father with a good thrower flashlight. He wouldn't want me to spend more than 50 bucks. Basically he likes to go out walking at like 4 a.m for his exercise and play with his dinky flashlight he has now. I really want to impress my father with this flashlight so please help me find a good choice. Has anyone ever heard of the flashlight in the link below?
.....................................................................................................................................................

As poppy has mentioned,from that tell us a little more about your dad,dont mean inside leg measurements :laughing:

Now for me walking i would want some flood,yes great to see 200yds ahead but tripping over a log right in front of you is not a good thing(just an example)

You mention playing,so i presume he is like many men/dads and likes his gadgets,so maybe good UI with modes and memory so he does not have to cycle through 3 modes to get to high every time...

He might want simplicity,he may just want high,full whack and WOW without strobe and SOS .........as everyone does have different preferences,personally a strobe could be useful under the right circumstances...........

So we have upped to $75 which tbh is substantial for a very nice light,as mentioned check the convoy brand out as come in well under budget,offer some great tints but run on 18650 which will require you showing/learning your dad on the safety aspect(protected cells,decent charger and not left over night for example).

The sunwayman d40a has a strong following,that is a 4X AA light,small but kicks out a WOW amount of light,nicely made.
Have a read through the reviews section on here,just so many to choose..........

What area,is it wooded/open/built up he walks as 4000lm may not make neighbours too happy :laughing:

If me i would compromise,nice amount of useful flood,but throws well too,this way best of both worlds and from his "dinky" light it will be worlds apart anyway.

So any more help in the regards mentioned will help us help you to get the ideal light:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
As poppy has mentioned,from that tell us a little more about your dad,dont mean inside leg measurements :laughing:

<SNIP>

So we have upped to $75 which tbh is substantial for a very nice light,as mentioned check the convoy brand out as come in well under budget,offer some great tints but run on 18650 which will require you showing/learning your dad on the safety aspect(protected cells,decent charger and not left over night for example).

The sunwayman d40a has a strong following,that is a 4X AA light,small but kicks out a WOW amount of light,nicely made.

<SNIP>

LOL... Hey there fellow Convoy lover friend!
What's really funny is that *I* WAS going to mention Convoy lights, but didn't because I wanted to see if he wanted to go the 18650 or the multicell AA light route first.

See... I don't mention Convoy in every post :cool: :thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
LOL... Hey there fellow Convoy lover friend!
What's really funny is that *I* WAS going to mention Convoy lights, but didn't because I wanted to see if he wanted to go the 18650 or the multicell AA light route first.

See... I don't mention Convoy in every post :cool: :thumbsup:

:laughing:

well its only fair we take it in turns :laughing:

:twothumbs

Thing is you could have 2 or even 3 convoy lights for $75 :cool:
iirc i paid around £12-£16 on mine,still my m2 is my fav with 4c at present,cracking light for the money.........and some:thumbsup:

makapuu

Enlightened
Check out Mountain Electronics and look for Super XinTD C8 V4 18650 Flashlight. You can chose your modes, power level, and tint (as well as de-dome). If you want your father to go "WOW" get the highest amperage and de-dome option. Over 100k in throw from a pocket size customized XM-L2 light that will set you back about $55.00. Keep in mind that you need to run high output batteries like the SamSung 20r's they are recommending and also sell, flat top as well as button top (the only dealer I know of that sells button top SamSung 20r's). They are out of stock of the light right now, but if you email Richard (owner, modder) he'll contact you when he's made more. I would like to add that Richard is one the best vendor's you will ever deal with.

Edit: He now has the new SamSung 25r's flat and button top.

Last edited: