Rev 3 Maratac AAA CU (copper) available soon

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the copper Rev 1 was LMH. I suppose it just depends on when they did the ordering. I had a Rev 2 stainless that had the glow oring, so there could be some transition pieces out there.

EsthetiX

Enlightened
does anyone recall what modes rev 1 was? L --> M --> H?

I had a v2 copper and it barely patinaed which made me think it was lower quality copper than the v1/original because those would patina like crazy

Stick it in a closed container suspended over amonia. It will patina before your very eyes in just a few hours. Looks awesome.

Last edited:

gaiageek

Newly Enlightened
Nope. Someones already tested the rev3s here, a few-couple times. There are graphs. I think on medium it was 5 hours to 50% light. Maratacs claims are to the dying of the light, to dark, to the last little bit it can eak out (they didn't espouse how useful the last 10 mins of light is), that's what they got on a duracell alkaline. YMMV.
Got a link? I've been looking all over for runtime graphs of the rev 3, and haven't found squat. I'm surprised there aren't more posts about the rev 3 on CPF, because spec-wise it really does stand out from the other popular AAA lights out there at the moment.

gaiageek

Newly Enlightened
http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/ITPA3.htm
does not say, but I think this is the Rev 3 by the interface description and the posted date, pretty sure reviewer is CPF member and posted link (which is how I think found it).
Nope, I think that's the original Maratac AAA that was released about the same time as the original iTP EOS A3 Upgraded. From what I can gather, the Maratac AAA rev 3 was released in the 2nd half of 2013, and includes GITD o-ring and diffuser, neither of which are mentioned or visible in that review (which does list the contents of the package).

I'll start a new thread asking if anyone knows of a runtime graph.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting.... it's always interesting to see what they produce. One thing is almost certain... this Rev 3, will not match any previous Rev 3 :) but I'll wait to see what is actually be delivered, I'm likely to be surprised either way.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting.... it's always interesting to see what they produce. One thing is almost certain... this Rev 3, will not match any previous Rev 3 :) but I'll wait to see what is actually be delivered, I'm likely to be surprised either way.

Copper available now in Rev. 3
http://www.countycomm.com/aaacopper.html

And I realize too late... (snif) that I believe the Rev. 2 with the Cree R3 and 2 modes and even only 115 lumen is far superior to the Rev. 3, for its lack of PCM, and the beautiful light it casts.

So I ask... please... reply to me or PM me with any single aaa light that uses a Cree R3 from any manufacturer, because I think I like it better than the R5, and now no longer available from Maratac... my life is pretty much over (hope hyperbole is appreciated).

mobilerd

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered one. Never dealt with these guys, any idea how long it will be to deliver?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is trouble! Whenever i go o that site i spend a lot of money. M-L-H ... Interesting. Apparently by popular demand... Of course the detailed description says l/m/h so as usual one has to take the description with a large grain of salt until some one actually gets one. I think we can be assured though that it is copper and takes an AAA cell. Everything else we better wait to verify. :) The quoted levels sound really nice too.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Copper available now in Rev. 3
http://www.countycomm.com/aaacopper.html

And I realize too late... (snif) that I believe the Rev. 2 with the Cree R3 and 2 modes and even only 115 lumen is far superior to the Rev. 3, for its lack of PCM, and the beautiful light it casts.

So I ask... please... reply to me or PM me with any single aaa light that uses a Cree R3 from any manufacturer, because I think I like it better than the R5, and now no longer available from Maratac... my life is pretty much over (hope hyperbole is appreciated).

PCM? did you by chance mean PWM?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
PCM? did you by chance mean PWM?

>< yes, thanks... PCM is used in digital audio, PWM is used in led flashlights... I got them briefly mixed up, and I thank you for catching that and taking the time to point at me and laugh (if you have not done that, plz feel free to do that now).

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
138 lumens for 70 minutes? That's actually the same as the real output and runtime of an L3 Illuminations L10 with the Cree emitter with an Eneloop 2000. Yet the best AAA has only half the capacity of an Eneloop 2000. The L3 Illuminations L10 is well-known for it's very flat, well regulated output. This makes me wonder what kind of stepdown this light has. They certainly don't say on the website.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
138 lumens for 70 minutes? That's actually the same as the real output and runtime of an L3 Illuminations L10 with the Cree emitter with an Eneloop 2000. Yet the best AAA has only half the capacity of an Eneloop 2000. The L3 Illuminations L10 is well-known for it's very flat, well regulated output. This makes me wonder what kind of stepdown this light has. They certainly don't say on the website.
I'm guessing the stated runtimes are not really how a sensible person would measure them. I don't remember them being accurate in the past. I'd even be a bit surprised if it actually met the 138 (note they didn't say 140 but 138) lumens in independent measurements, but I think adjusting for typical error I'm going to like the levels on this light so I'm hoping the beam is nice and smooth.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yet the best AAA has only half the capacity of an Eneloop 2000.

I think this statement is wrong headed, not untrue per se, just wrong headed. An Eneloop 2000 is a AA size battery, not AAA size. If I am mistaken, please correct me and provide a link to this magical AAA eneloop with 2000mAh capacity, because if it exists, I want it. The AAA size eneloop, AFAIK, only has a capacity of 900mAh and a max voltage of 1.25-1.35v, and it outperforms a Duracell alkaline AAA only slightly, providing a smoother voltage depleation curve before both drop below 1v (the eneloop will stay above 1v longer under the same load).

Last edited: