Rival MaxaBlaster

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
RA posted in one of the threads regarding his reflector for the maxablaster his short arc xbo 103 light

RA
The reflectors at the link Greg posted really are a bargain: In Maxablaster I use almost the same type: 02 RPM 018.. Which only has a smaller central hole.
Indeed these normally are expensive ($600-700..ish..)

And: Rhodium has lower reflection in visible light compared to Aluminium: Rh=76% Al=>85%

Rhodium has some qualities I needed for Maxablaster: Its high durabillity, and abillity to cope with the very high UV-radiation comming from the mercury-arc lamp

The reflector is a rhodium coated, nickel-based high precision parabolic: 02-RPM-018 by Melles Griot..

http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/pm1074.html

this matches what you've been saying all along get-lit.

if i were to one up on his reflector, and possibly get an aluminium coating, along with rhodium on a nickel substrate, would this improve my chances?

also, the thor host uses a 9.5" reflector from what i can gather, and one dude edgar managing to use a reflector from a phoenix for his thor...

Last edited:

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened

hmmm protected aluminium sounds good. I wonder what costs are we looking at and what kind of timeframe are we looking at before it starts to oxidize.

By reading what theyre stating, that aluminium has more reflectance than rhodium...

Ok so the 280w 0.9 p-vip is UV emitting and Mercury based.

Also get-lit you mentioned previously about a retro reflector on a long FL reflector, are we talking about 2 reflectors in the THor here? A retro reflector is like a small parabolic reflector that captures light at the base/middle of the reflector where the hole is for the lamp, that reflects the light into the long FL reflector where it doesnt receive as much light?

HAHA sorry for the newbie questions! just need to get my head around it.

so to keep it simple, optiforms, 9.5inch parabolic reflector, with protected aluminium coating is what i'll be looking at for the Thor build with the p-vip 280w overdriven to 300w. Optiforms have a protected aluminium for UV aswell..

Last edited:

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened

So bright even the sun gets jealous.
Take advantage of our ever-expanding range of P-VIP projection lamps and profit from one of the highest luminance levels in the universe.

hehe such a bold statement, i love it

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
Technology Discharge lamps with Mercury-halogen gas
Lamp power 100 – 250 W AC
Lumen yield > 60 lm / W
Pressure cold lamp: 100 mbar
hot lamp: up to 250 bar
Burner temperature operating: up to 1200 °C
typical cool down < 5 min.
Pre-materials
Burner Glass: ultra pure quartz glass
Electrodes: Tungsten
Reflector Glass, coated with dichroic mirror

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
This P-VIP lamp
operates at high pressure and at high temperature and may
unexpectedly shatter.
generates ultraviolet radiation which may cause skin and
eye irritation with prolonged exposure.
must be operated only in suitably designed, enclosed fixtures which
prevent direct observation of the arc and will prevent lamp fragments
from exiting, in the unlikely event of a lamp rupture.

Caution
This lamp emits ultra violet (UV) radiation and operates at high pressure.
This lamp may only be used in enclosed fixtures that comply with
UL1572. Due to the high luminous efficacy, the UV radiation which the
lamp emits and the high pressure within the lamp, P-VIP lamps may
only be operated within enclosed, purpose-built housings.

Last edited:

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
Did you have a good method of breaking the reflector without hurting the lamp? Was it very difficult?

I drilled out the cement around the base of the bulb and pulled the glass off the top of the reflector and pulled the lamp out, but like I said that lead wire came undone.

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
Did you have a good method of breaking the reflector without hurting the lamp? Was it very difficult?

I drilled out the cement around the base of the bulb and pulled the glass off the top of the reflector and pulled the lamp out, but like I said that lead wire came undone.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protected aluminum would be fine as long as you have adequate cooling and don't operate the light in wet conditions.

All these manufacturers produce the same top optical grade reflectors. Optiforms costs more but has the most selection, so they are good to go with if the other companies don't have what you need in stock for just a one off. First check with the others, notably NiPro Optics and Phoenix Electroformed to see if they have the size you need in stock.

Not so easy trying a unique and complex configuration like the long FL with retro-reflector in a Thor host. If you really wanted to give it a shot, you could go with a 2.35" focal length reflector with 9.5" aperture for the primary reflector. Obtaining a retro-reflector and devising a mounting means to the lamp takes much more time and cost than the primary reflector because you'll need a mandrel made for a retro-reflector, and need two precision alignment methods. Your best bet is to go with just a short focal length reflector without retro-reflector, especially for your first go at it. This could potentially produce slightly more candlepower in the beam center but less beam power (less visible beam overall). First thing you need to do is determine the reflector diameter your Thor host can fit, and also the depth. Then you can figure out the largest reflector you can use.

Still, I'm wondering how you would achieve cooling with a Thor host. A 100W can go without cooling under good conditions, but 300W requires forced-air cooling. Maybe forced-air cooling could be done with the Thor host, but I think at some point it may be easier to dump the Thor and make your own housing. That way you're not limited to the limitations of the Thor host in accommodating optimal needs across the board.

It really depends on how much you want to put into this, if it's a fleeting interest or something you want to dedicate your time and resources to. If your objective is to just one up Ra's Maxablaster, it should at least sustain reliable operation in order to actually count as a hand held searchlight. i.e. not over driving the lamp beyond 10% and having forced-air cooling for lamps much beyond 100W.

Gotta say though, aside from being a fun project don't count on it having the merit of rivaling the Maxablaster when getting the research handed to you. The Maxablaster will always be king because Ra created it only with what he learned on his own before any of this information was available. It takes more than a decade to learn everything on your own, or it could be done with the information shared here in the forums by spending probably less than a year to take it in, but the trend lately is to just jump in without taking either of these routes. Repeating here what's already been posted makes the forum redundant and trying to help in that manner is actually helping others to not realize all the fun and appreciation of doing the research to develop a solid understanding and using creativity to spur something new and inventive.

EDIT- By the way, I was very naive and overly optimistic back when I suggested doubling the power to the Osram XBO 500W/RC OFR. That's ridiculously funny.

Last edited:

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
Protected aluminum would be fine as long as you have adequate cooling and don't operate the light in wet conditions.

All these manufacturers produce the same top optical grade reflectors. Optiforms costs more but has the most selection, so they are good to go with if the other companies don't have what you need in stock for just a one off. First check with the others, notably NiPro Optics and Phoenix Electroformed to see if they have the size you need in stock.

Not so easy trying a unique and complex configuration like the long FL with retro-reflector in a Thor host. If you really wanted to give it a shot, you could go with a 2.35" focal length reflector with 9.5" aperture for the primary reflector. Obtaining a retro-reflector and devising a mounting means to the lamp takes much more time and cost than the primary reflector because you'll need a mandrel made for a retro-reflector, and need two precision alignment methods. Your best bet is to go with just a short focal length reflector without retro-reflector, especially for your first go at it. This could potentially produce slightly more candlepower in the beam center but less beam power (less visible beam overall). First thing you need to do is determine the reflector diameter your Thor host can fit, and also the depth. Then you can figure out the largest reflector you can use.

Still, I'm wondering how you would achieve cooling with a Thor host. A 100W can go without cooling under good conditions, but 300W requires forced-air cooling. Maybe forced-air cooling could be done with the Thor host, but I think at some point it may be easier to dump the Thor and make your own housing. That way you're not limited to the limitations of the Thor host in accommodating optimal needs across the board.

It really depends on how much you want to put into this, if it's a fleeting interest or something you want to dedicate your time and resources to. If your objective is to just one up Ra's Maxablaster, it should at least sustain reliable operation in order to actually count as a hand held searchlight. i.e. not over driving the lamp beyond 10% and having forced-air cooling for lamps much beyond 100W.

Gotta say though, aside from being a fun project don't count on it having the merit of rivaling the Maxablaster when getting the research handed to you. The Maxablaster will always be king because Ra created it only with what he learned on his own before any of this information was available. It takes more than a decade to learn everything on your own, or it could be done with the information shared here in the forums by spending probably less than a year to take it in, but the trend lately is to just jump in without taking either of these routes. Repeating here what's already been posted makes the forum redundant and trying to help in that manner is actually helping others to not realize all the fun and appreciation of doing the research to develop a solid understanding and using creativity to spur something new and inventive.

EDIT- By the way, I was very naive and overly optimistic back when I suggested doubling the power to the Osram XBO 500W/RC OFR. That's ridiculously funny.

I dont usually take time off work to reply in candlepowerforums as i usually do so at night before i hit the sack.

But in saying so, you are absolutely correct get-lit.

I may have got a bit heavy handed going into this project wanting to build a powerhouse thrower, BUT never did i think that i was in anyway trying to take the spotlight (get it spotlight lol) off RA. Without guys like yourself and RA sharing their experiences on forums like this great one we are on, people like myself, who love powerful lights (since i was a little kid) but don't have the know how or stepping stone to get into the sport.

I wish i could pay you guys back for all the hard work and effort that goes into these projects, not to mention the passion and enthusiasm and knowledge that was taught to you.

Sometimes i'm afraid to ask for help because i think help usually doesnt come free, but since i've been here, the front page of this website, where it says welcome to the largest and friendliest community on the internet, its definitley living up to that statement.

Yes, i've jumped right into the custom spot light genre, and i feel very privilidged for having the chance to do so, thank God, the internet and guys like yourself for ultimately giving me that chance.

Its a fun past time to jump into definitely, although i have a busy schedule in my day to day life, i still can find some time in taking up this passion and love for high powered torches. Look i dont hang around the LED sections, i'm only in this section as i love the things that are happening in here.

Once again, hats off to you, RA, BVH, the moderators and MA SHA and everyone for being involved and sharing their experiences. Like i said before, i've got life experience in a variety of subjects, i'm a real estate agent in south western sydney, thats my true passion, i work day and night servicing my community and helping them buy/sell/rent property, but i feel like i dont want to just limit myself to the one subject, i need a bit of variety that way, keeps the mind and soul active and fresh.

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
so in saying all that!

just go with the parabolic reflector with the protected aluminium coating.

forced air shouldnt be a problem, i'll just make it work. if i have to i'll placed fans on the outside of the THor.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that having such different interests helps round out the edges when things get tough, like complimentary colors on the color wheel. This would be a good compliment for your real estate ventures and I look forward to seeing what you come up with. One thing that makes this all the more enjoyable is there's so many ways to go about it. For instance, I'd like to see someone make their own lens based searchlight, with a parabolic or ellipsiodal P-VIP behind a large aspheric. Heck that would actually be less work because P-VIP come with embedded and aligned parabolic or ellipsiodal reflectors which wouldn't need removed. There is info about these methods here. Enjoy reading, learning, and exploring what you find most interesting.

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
Forgot to mention the driver and mr tone for their help!!

I've got a spare 120w ballast maybe I can try the aspheric option..

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
I find that having such different interests helps round out the edges when things get tough, like complimentary colors on the color wheel. This would be a good compliment for your real estate ventures and I look forward to seeing what you come up with. One thing that makes this all the more enjoyable is there's so many ways to go about it. For instance, I'd like to see someone make their own lens based searchlight, with a parabolic or ellipsiodal P-VIP behind a large aspheric. Heck that would actually be less work because P-VIP come with embedded and aligned parabolic or ellipsiodal reflectors which wouldn't need removed. There is info about these methods here. Enjoy reading, learning, and exploring what you find most interesting.

cheers get-lit

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
Please take lots of pictures along the way and post them here! :thumbsup: :popcorn::popcorn:

IMG_5172.jpg

haha messing around with the settings on my camera.

IMG_5175.jpg

it's not get-lit's torche cloud bounce but its a cloud bounce! :naughty:

Last edited: