Roar Of Pelican VS Quad LuxIII (pics)

Turbo_E

Enlightened
Well, not real scientific, but i recently built both of these badboys...well cuz i wanted to.
Camera: Casio Exilim Z57 factory settings, no flash
cloudy night, pretty much no image seen on camera witout any external light

Specs:
Quad Lux
M@g 2D host
4 Luxeon III emitters (SX1K bin)
Fatman Regulator @ 1 amp w/dimmer set on max output
Modamag 6AA holder and Powerizer 2300 mAh AA's - 7.2V
UCL lens

R.O.P.
M@g 3D Host
Modamag 8AA holder 7AA Sanyo 2300 mAh AA's + 1 dummy cell + 1 Dummy D cell - 8.4V
mag switch fix
Pelican Big D "High" bulb 24W
Borafloat lens
FiveMega Heavy Orange Peel aluminum reflector

Quad VS ROP
LUX%20and%20ROP.JPG

QUAD LUX VS ROP on a tree 20 ft up
lux%20tree.JPG
ROP%20tree.JPG

Quad Lux VS ROP on my house
lux%20on%20house.JPG
ROP%20on%20house.JPG

in the side of the house again lux VS ROP
lux%20alley.JPG
ROP%20alley.JPG

and finally both on the ground
lux%20on%20ground.JPG
ROP%20on%20ground.JPG

yeah the ROP pretty much p3ned the Quad Lux in every way but runtime

Last edited:

Delvance

Enlightened
Nice pics Turbo_E! Glad to see you are enjoying your ROP :grin2: . Wow, 7 Sanyo's on the ROP, that thing should be pretty bright! Usually people use 7 lower quality cells. Sanyos tend to hold their V better than most other consumer grade rechargeables.

When you said factory settings for the camera ? Did you mean you let the camera automatically determine the settings or did you set the exposure etc ? Because if it was indeed automatic settings, the camera will actually adjust it's exposure rate according to how much light was on the photo area, in effect...making two different powered lights seem similar output. Just curious because the ROP should be absolutely obliterating the LED M@g hehe.

I might just have to try 7 AA's on my 2D ROP hrmmm.

Delvance

Enlightened
eebowler,

I'm also seeing one light in each photo. I'm pretty sure we're seeing correct. I think Turbo_E took individual photos of the beams but on the same target.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked the EXIF data in the images he provided, they are directly comparable since the settings seem to be locked for all shots - f/2.6 and 1/8 sec.

We did this test one night too, with a 3xLux3 (my Mag3X) vs my ROP high. The Mag3X provides a very nice even flood, but the hotspot is not as concentrated because of the 3 smaller reflectors. The ROP collimates a little better being a single point source.

The 24W high bulb, especially when overdriven, is known to deliver quite a huge amount of light.. still outclasses the LEDs. The LEDs would win against the 11W low output, though.

wtraymond

Enlightened
I think you guys just need to scroll over to the right. The ROP images are on the right. If your screen is only set to 800x600 then you need to scroll over.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
yes^^^ it just looks blended together cuz its dark, i'll fix it

not the pics are actually darker than they seem. the ROP puts out monster light

Last edited:

Turbo_E

Enlightened
just a note to whoere is considering building a ROP:

don't expect super runtimes. this light makes a massive amount of heat and light.

for excellent white light and long runtimes, go for a Luxeon mod instead.

to burn the flesh off an attacker, build a ROP :D

Delvance

Enlightened
91101 said:
Try it, you'll like it...:grin2: That's the way I run mine....

Just started my uni mid session recess today and i've got nothing to do today. Think i will give it ago :D i'll compare it to my ROP LE large and see how the 7AA one fares mhm.