Scenario: UFOs are landing, what do you do?

LED BriCK

Enlightened
TTL- Why would they want our poop, when the Niblonians excrete starship fuel, live a very long time, and are celebrated poopers? Plus, their home world is more centrally located.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already live in an area with such low population density that coming here to gather up humans would make zero sense. By the time alien ships get down on the surface I'll be MUCH farther away from any kind of population density and therefor it'd be even less likely aliens would go there.

I'll be armed too, for what little(none, nada, zip) good it will do. When compared to the technology of another civilization that is not only capable of landing en-mass and removing large amounts of population, but has cheap enough energy and spacecraft to make this worthwhile vs. just growing their own labor/food, even the military is hopelessly outclassed. Savages bravely waving spears at the incoming nuclear bomber.

:buddies:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED B. good point.

I think it's our farting that delights ET, sounds like Orioles singing in the summer to them.. them Niblonians, they chew their food, hence their name, and poop in complete silence.. bor--ring.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like I have about an hour and a half. Enough time for me to set several booby traps up in my house with the items I have at disposal. (Been watching Home Alone over and over again the last three days) Quote: "This is my house, I have to defend it."

Possible items:

Can of 3 in One household oil
6 foot Chain
Propane Torch
Soldering Iron
Deep Cycle Batteries
Hotwheels Toy Cars
Glass Christmas Ornaments
Clothes Iron
Roofing Nails
MagLite
D Cell Batteries
500 foot roll of string
20# propane tank
Cast Iron Wok/Frying Pan
Epoxy

z96Cobra

Enlightened
When they get out of the ship, I bet the first thing they say is... ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!!! (if you don't know what that means, search youtube!)....

Anyway...
You said "light weapons", do you mean light as in laser? Or light as in small caliber arms? I'm assuming laser.

As mentioned by many others, I'd defend my home and wouldn't be taken alive. If they are able to be shot and killed/wounded by our firearms, I'd take as many of them with me as possible! I live in a fairly rural area, and we do have some livestock, and a creek and river on the property, so we would be OK in that respect for a long while.

We have enough canned goods on hand to last a month or more, but we might be living on green beans and peas! lol We also have plenty of ammo and tools. We don't hoard stuff, we just don't like to go shopping very often.

Are we all considered "loony" for responding to this?!?! :D

Roger

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already live in an area with such low population density that coming here to gather up humans would make zero sense.
But since they came tens or even hundreds of trillions of kilometers to get here, why would a few thousand extra to somewhere remote make a difference? When considering the scale, I'd have to say any additional human bod would be worthwhile, even if it meant several extra trips around the planet. And finding us wouldn't be a problem - we're warm blooded after all.

tygger

Enlightened
It's Thursday morning, 2:30 when the alien craft land. EBEs in enviro suits emerge from the ships, armed with light weapons, and they are rounding up humans for capture. The EBE's intentions, strengths, weaknesses and capabilities are completely unknown to all on Earth... they could be rounding people up to dust their feet with honey dust, or they could have a copy of Homer Simpson's "How To Cook A Human" on the shelf. ;-)

Who's to say the aliens wouldn't be a colony of attractive women looking for a few volunteers to take back and help re-populate their planet? :D

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would put aluminum foil on all my window, make a hat of it and hope the men in the black helicopters save me.

The only sensible answer.
Note however that for earth born rays, MIT showed that the foil hat actually acts as an antenna.
The MIB and the EAC both have known this but continue to spread the false rumor because it allows lower power transmitters.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lot of people here think that tossing little lead pebbles at them at a few thousand feet per second will make a difference. If they came here through normal space at some respectable fraction of C they will have lots of experience at dealing with objects coming at them at speeds measured in kilometers per second. It's hard to imagine an M-16 will trouble them.

>KingGlamis
>Shooting one of them will be my last resort,

Sensible, it might annoy them. You wouldn't like them when they're annoyed.

>but I'm not going to be "rounded up."

Hmm, didn't the Cherokee say that? They even had a fair understanding of the enemy and relatively similar weapons.

>jtr1962
>Probably nothing anyone can do so

Agreed.

>I somehow doubt any species would come trillions of miles just to
>wipe us out, or to take our resources.

Picture two giant beavers (Castoroides ohioensis) sharing a friendly chew by the side of the pond. It is a pleasant night in the late Pleistocene, and the one beaver says to the other~

"So you're saying there could be some kind of weird non-beavoid creatures living thousands and thousands of days away from here that no one has ever seen before, and they might come here and kill us all? Why would any intelligent creature go that far just to kill somebody they never even met? Nah, it wouldn't make sense, it'll never happen."

>There's probably billions of planets out there with similar resources.

Since when has that detered any developer?

>would we travel to Alpha Centauri just to take over
>whatever sentient species happened to be there?

As long as we were there anyhow? In a heartbeat. We've done it to each other through all of recorded history. Doesn't everybody wants a dog that will not just fetch a beer, but open it for you too?

> any species advanced enough for intersteller travel has likely long
>since overcame any tendencies towards violence.

What if they like violence and manage it just fine?

>Even here on Earth,war is slowly but surely going
>out of style as a means of solving problems.

Could someone check if the White House got that memo ?

>And on another note, any alien invaders would be taking a huge
>chance assuming man is the only intelligent life.
>Suppose the Earth had much more advanced beings capable of
>hiding their existence from the invaders until it was too late?

Maybe they won't care if something wants to hide and watch. Maybe they'll use us for warmup and hope a varsity team comes around to give them a good show. If it doesn't, maybe they'll put on tentacle suits and go looking for the sentient kraken

>fieldops
>Head for the mountains, put on the gilly suit and wait.

No particular reason something from far away has to use our suite of senses. How's that Ghilly suit work on things that see in visual and thermal infrared ? Or that see in sonar, or use a magnetic sense? There are critters right here on Earth that use these things.

>tygger
>Who's to say the aliens wouldn't be a colony of attractive
>women looking for a few volunteers to take back and help
>re-populate their planet? :D

What if it's 'cause they've pretty much hunted out all the local populations and want to restock a few preserves?

>senecaripple
>they've taken some of your family members and your boss.
>what do you do now?

Makes no difference what they did, your abilities are still the same.

>z96Cobra
>Are we all considered "loony" for responding to this?!?! :D

Nah, it's just a thought experiment. It's allowed to be loopy.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some great questions, Ken. One of the best posts yet. (It appeals to my cynical nature, I s'pose.)

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been only 13.7 billion years since the big bang. Since then it has taken at least two supernova cycles to create the more complex elements we have here on Earth. In addition to that, the formation of our current solar system to the immergence of intelligent life on Earth took another 4.5 billion years. Assuming the conditions for life have occurred elsewhere in the universe, they would be very fortunate to reach our level of scientific understanding, which is that interstellar travel takes a long long long long long long long time. Assuming again that alien life managed to reach out from their nest; it would first be in the form of radio waves long before any near the speed of light spacecrafts. Even if aliens had such spacecraft, it would take them an extremely long time to reach Earth, and that's assuming they could find us by blindly navigating a course. If we on Earth and very lucky we may intercept an alien radio broadcast before we are struck with another miles wide asteroid wiping out the top layers of our food chain, and I mean us.

To have ET's landing on Earth is just about as improbable as it gets. Besides, if aliens did somehow have a speedy evolution, manage to overcome the laws of physics, and also figure out where Earth is, do you think they would be chasing us around with ray guns?

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
fascinating exchange there. You are probably right. We assume too often that there are so many earth type planets, but forget that the chances of advanced life are often a matter of chance luck and survival. Since most of our stars are densely packed near the center next to the super massive black hole, most of those do not have systems that could support life. There remaining possibilities are mostly out here on the outer rim. That makes things a bit more lonely than TV would have us believe.

It's been only 13.7 billion years since the big bang. Since then it has taken at least two supernova cycles to create the more complex elements we have here on Earth. In addition to that, the formation of our current solar system to the immergence of intelligent life on Earth took another 4.5 billion years. Assuming the conditions for life have occurred elsewhere in the universe, they would be very fortunate to reach our level of scientific understanding, which is that interstellar travel takes a long long long long long long long time. Assuming again that alien life managed to reach out from their nest; it would first be in the form of radio waves long before any near the speed of light spacecrafts. Even if aliens had such spacecraft, it would take them an extremely long time to reach Earth, and that's assuming they could find us by blindly navigating a course. If we on Earth and very lucky we may intercept an alien radio broadcast before we are struck with another miles wide asteroid wiping out the top layers of our food chain, and I mean us.

To have ET's landing on Earth is just about as improbable as it gets. Besides, if aliens did somehow have a speedy evolution, manage to overcome the laws of physics, and also figure out where Earth is, do you think they would be chasing us around with ray guns?