Scenario: UFOs are landing, what do you do?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Besides, if aliens did somehow have a speedy evolution, manage to overcome the laws of physics, and also figure out where Earth is, do you think they would be chasing us around with ray guns?
That's the point I was making earlier. By definition violence is counterproductive to long term advancement. My guess is any other sentient species with violent tendencies will destroy themselves long before they're capable of intersteller travel. This includes man. If we don't learn to overcome our violent tendencies, we'll be gone long before the next asteroid hits. If we do, then we'll hopefully meet with other (peaceful) species on some sort of galactic council.

On another note, I can't imagine that any star-hopping aliens would find us interesting enough to interact with us as equals. At best, we would probably appeal to alien archeologists or naturalists. They would study us the same way we study ants. And would probably have as little in common with us. Sorry folks, compared to what's probably out there, our little corner of the universe is barely worth a mention. It's also a little humbling how insignificant we are in the scheme of things. If you use a 1mm grain of sand to represent the sun, then the next star(another grain of sand) is something like 18 miles away. And the spaces between galaxies are probably 1000 times more sparse.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
But since they came tens or even hundreds of trillions of kilometers to get here, why would a few thousand extra to somewhere remote make a difference? When considering the scale, I'd have to say any additional human bod would be worthwhile, even if it meant several extra trips around the planet. And finding us wouldn't be a problem - we're warm blooded after all.

I suppose if it's a "Beam me up, Mr. Scott" type of deal then you're absolutely right. I was thinking of the aliens having to physically sweep up anyone they want, which means even landing one more time just for two people is unlikely. When those two people happen to be too far away to make sweeping them up with the masses in the city practical, the odds of being swept up go down considerably.

:buddies:

LED BriCK

Enlightened
Maybe it wouldn't have to be a "sweeping up" kind of thing. They might just leave a Mobile Oppression Palace here to keep us under their thumbs. I just hope we get to hold on to our lower horns.
(I apologise if these references are getting old, I just can't help myself!)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would be such a great thing if UFO's visited us within our lifetime. As other's have pointed out, just think of how advanced their technology would have to be for this to happen. In order for them to reach that level, I doubt they would be a violent species. With what's going on earth today, I question whether we will begin to reach that level of technology before killing ourselves off, one way or another.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would be such a great thing if UFO's visited us within our lifetime. As other's have pointed out, just think of how advanced their technology would have to be for this to happen. In order for them to reach that level, I doubt they would be a violent species. With what's going on earth today, I question whether we will begin to reach that level of technology before killing ourselves off, one way or another.

I suspect that even if such travel is possible, advanced civilizations would be unlikely to visit here in the open for fear of impact on our society. They would know from radio and TV monitoring how volatile an outside arrival could be here.
I still have optimism that we will survive to see better days. I think all races go through a moment of truth in their quest to live on. Just as turtles must survive to reach the sea, our young race will face many challenges along our path as well. As long as the dream of a better future remains in most of us, we may yet stand the test of time. Let's hope so.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
Lot of people here think that tossing little lead pebbles at them at a few thousand feet per second will make a difference. If they came here through normal space at some respectable fraction of C they will have lots of experience at dealing with objects coming at them at speeds measured in kilometers per second. It's hard to imagine an M-16 will trouble them.

Don't you watch "Stargate SG1"??? Lead is the only thing that can stop the "Replicators", and those things make Transformers look like teddy bears... :D

Roger

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
so, what would YOU do?

Lot of people here think that tossing little lead pebbles at them at a few thousand feet per second will make a difference. If they came here through normal space at some respectable fraction of C they will have lots of experience at dealing with objects coming at them at speeds measured in kilometers per second. It's hard to imagine an M-16 will trouble them.

>KingGlamis
>Shooting one of them will be my last resort,

Sensible, it might annoy them. You wouldn't like them when they're annoyed.

>but I'm not going to be "rounded up."

Hmm, didn't the Cherokee say that? They even had a fair understanding of the enemy and relatively similar weapons.

>jtr1962
>Probably nothing anyone can do so

Agreed.

>I somehow doubt any species would come trillions of miles just to
>wipe us out, or to take our resources.

Picture two giant beavers (Castoroides ohioensis) sharing a friendly chew by the side of the pond. It is a pleasant night in the late Pleistocene, and the one beaver says to the other~

"So you're saying there could be some kind of weird non-beavoid creatures living thousands and thousands of days away from here that no one has ever seen before, and they might come here and kill us all? Why would any intelligent creature go that far just to kill somebody they never even met? Nah, it wouldn't make sense, it'll never happen."

>There's probably billions of planets out there with similar resources.

Since when has that detered any developer?

>would we travel to Alpha Centauri just to take over
>whatever sentient species happened to be there?

As long as we were there anyhow? In a heartbeat. We've done it to each other through all of recorded history. Doesn't everybody wants a dog that will not just fetch a beer, but open it for you too?

> any species advanced enough for intersteller travel has likely long
>since overcame any tendencies towards violence.

What if they like violence and manage it just fine?

>Even here on Earth,war is slowly but surely going
>out of style as a means of solving problems.

Could someone check if the White House got that memo ?

>And on another note, any alien invaders would be taking a huge
>chance assuming man is the only intelligent life.
>Suppose the Earth had much more advanced beings capable of
>hiding their existence from the invaders until it was too late?

Maybe they won't care if something wants to hide and watch. Maybe they'll use us for warmup and hope a varsity team comes around to give them a good show. If it doesn't, maybe they'll put on tentacle suits and go looking for the sentient kraken

>fieldops
>Head for the mountains, put on the gilly suit and wait.

No particular reason something from far away has to use our suite of senses. How's that Ghilly suit work on things that see in visual and thermal infrared ? Or that see in sonar, or use a magnetic sense? There are critters right here on Earth that use these things.

>tygger
>Who's to say the aliens wouldn't be a colony of attractive
>women looking for a few volunteers to take back and help
>re-populate their planet? :D

What if it's 'cause they've pretty much hunted out all the local populations and want to restock a few preserves?

>senecaripple
>they've taken some of your family members and your boss.
>what do you do now?

Makes no difference what they did, your abilities are still the same.

>z96Cobra
>Are we all considered "loony" for responding to this?!?! :D

Nah, it's just a thought experiment. It's allowed to be loopy.

Ken1022

Newly Enlightened
Probably just go to work like always. Unless it was clear they were bent on trouble. I doubt if they would have evolved far enough to travel the distance required and have a taste for humans...as a food. Maybe might want to use us as slaves...to build thier style of cities and such...but I doubt that to. More likely they would be very tired of their trip and interested in seeing if there is anyway we would let them hang out here peacfully :kiss: Maybe exchange info for for material goods.

If they wanted to wipe us out I`m sure they would find some way to do it...maybe spread a nano-virus...one targeted to kill only humans. Leave animals and cities in perfect condition to gain a head start on their new world. Give it 6 months to reduce our population down to near zero. Just leave those hanging out in caves underground alone...let them starve in time. No reason to confront them and risk injury.

In fact...do this with out us even knowing they exist...we just start getting sick without any idea why. And this way they don`t run the risk of us destoying our cities to spite them. :poof:

But I have to say...outside of si-fi movies...the chances of meeting aleins...seems very, very unlikely. Perhaps communicting by radio...that might happen...but it would be one slow conversation :green:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
hopefully their religious beliefs or lack thereof won't conflict as badly as the ones down here do..

what if in some other part of the universe where interstellar travel is commonplace, the jobs are divided among planets; one planet for industry, one to grow food, etc..
hopefully we won't be visited by the lawyer planet..