Sea Monster sighting? - Ever wish your flashlight wasn't so bright

C4LED

Enlightened
Have a look at this thing - the Northern Snakehead from Asia that's made it's way in to the US. It's big, has sharp teeth, eats anything and travels across land (picture can be found at the link):

http://www.csa.com/hottopics/snakehead/overview.php

"During the summer of 2002, several individuals of an exotic fish species called the Northern Snakehead were found in a pond in Crofton, Maryland, about 20 miles north east of Washington, D.C. The potential impact of this introduced species was considered so damaging that the event made national headlines. Officials posted signs encouraging anglers to kill any snakeheads that they caught."

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
Mike Painter said:
The Oarfish has been well known for a very long time. There is a stuffed one in eithr the aquarium or museum of Natural history and has been there since I was a kid in the 40's.

Actually, the first one of these oarfishes was found around 1860 in the bermudas. This might be the one you saw in the museum. How big is the one you saw there?

That's all quite interesting. We still don't know everything about the sea, not even close!

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm, He's Canadian, they are afraid of their own tails.

Maybe just an otter or beaver?

And where was your gun?

4 a.m. in the middle of the woods with nothing but a flashlight!?!?!

Shame on you!!

If it were me, my buddies would be waking up to that thing hanging upsidedown and being skinned for breakfast!!

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Naah it was only 2am... breakfast was too far away at that stage ;)

Wasn't the sighting in an enclosed lake?

Unless there was some pretty serious flooding there wouldn't be a way to move around to different areas...like the sea... would there? :shrug:

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened
Most of us Canadians don't have guns. The only loaded weapon I had that night was my mug which made its way through some Iceberg Vodka mixes and a bottle of red that night. Again I was in full control.

I was on a canoeing trip in Algonquin Park in Ontario, Canada. http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/index.html

More specifically, the sighting took plac on Tom Thomson Lake (about 19km north and 18 east of the southwest corner of the park)... who himself died mysteriously one night on a lake but that was thought to be foul play initiated by humans or a simple drunken drowning incident.

It's a pretty big provincial park (765000 ha; looks to be about the size of Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming) and can be seen from the main default view of the http://maps.google.com/ website.

Interesting thoughts about the seal but they aren't exactly nocturnal and they don't swim with their heads above water but should be capable of eclipsing the speeds this thing was travelling at.

Moose, well I was just talking to a friend who does backwoods camping as well and (before telling him my story) he told me that his friend got chased by a moose in the water and that it moved so slowly that they got away from it just by paddling a canoe. As we all know, that's not fast at all... like a fast walking pace on the ambitious side.

Now I just did some math and now I almost don't believe myself.

With an average of about 350 Meters away from me when I saw it and when I lost track of it... it subtended an angle of 90 degrees across my field of vision in about the span of 40 seconds. Doing the math, that is roughly equal to this thing travelling 500 Meters in 40 seconds (went over the scenario a few times in my head)... in other words, it was going faster than I originally thought.

The math tells me that if it had been travelling consistently at the same speed in a straight line, its constant speed would have been approximately 45kph or about 28mph! Do keep in mind that it changed directions and came at me for about 12-15 seconds so it was moving much faster than that... assuming my sighting distance of 350 Meters was not totally butchered!

Before I made the sighting, I took a look from one campsite to the other one my friends were at one the opposite side of the lake and I thought it was about 1000Meters give or take 10%... now, after I got back from the trip, I just took a look at the canoe trail map again and it is exactly 1000 Meters from the two campsites. This thing was between 1/3 to 1/2 of the distance between the two campsites when I first sighted it. So looks like my measurements are sound and if my timing is correct, it actually was moving at about 45kph.

So the only freshwater creature I know that moves that fast is a seal but they always swim with their heads and bodies in the water do they not? It is not a species I'm too familiar with. Don't believe they have ever been spotted there in the daytime either. They do have big reflective eyes though as this page describes...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3788459&dopt=Abstract

Oarfish and giant eels would swim with their heads in the water and I don't think I'd see a back on the surface.

Spent like two hours at work today on google doing some research on and off reading up on sea serpents... sigh, I really really really wish I didn't see this thing. Not feeling too special now as I know a part of my future life disappeared that night and is now forfeit.

Last edited:

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh I love stuff like this. I'm glad you're okay mudmojo, but I can't help wishing that it did get closer to you so you could get a better description. Certainly a thrilling story!

Maybe if you had Tweak's master Husky mod you coulda fried the thing and capture it (16,000 lumens will do that kinda thing after all ;) )

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened
Also forgot to mention that I also had a Princeton Tec EOS headlamp on high watching this thing. Didn't do much to spot it through the SN II's omniscient power that night. When it disappeared I also brought out my Nuwai QIII and scanned land seconds at a time to make sure he, it whatever, wasn't trying to flank me. I used to be an ice hockey goalie so I have well trained life-preserving peripheral vision. :)

Felt like Antonio Banderas in Desperado, knees bent in an athletic stance, flashlights in each hand ready for action but hoping it woudn't come.

And yes, my viewing vantage point was about 10 feet above lake level so that enabled me to nail down the sighting distance easier too.

I was going to take my Costco HID lamp there but the fog/mist wouldn't have made it a very useful tool on that night... plus she'd be a real beotch to carry around on a canoe trip with portages and neighbouring campsites only a km or two apart. Yikes!

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what has been bothering me. The silence. I don't think it is possible for anything to move through the water at the speed you estimate and not make a sound. You should have heard something, even a kayak makes some noise and it's about the most effecient boat you can have.
Coming rapidly to a dead stop is not easy at the speed you estimate, especially without making noise.
It may not help with a solution but I'd say it was not something in the water.

Curious.

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I was wrong about the rapid stop... it was coming right at me when it did stop but because of that, maybe it took like 2 seconds to decelerate to a stop instead of like 0.2 seconds. If the parts that I saw was only a small part of its whole, then it might make sense that whatever can propel it to those breakneck speeds (ie. wings, fins, tails. webbed feet), should also be able to steer it and decelerate it just as efficiently. But to have something that long and heavy moving at those speeds requires so much power... like staring at a Scarab in awe.

If it was a low flying object at that size (6-12 ft long maybe?) that could hold its breath underwater, then that would scare me even more!

Bears don't move that fast in water I don't think. We're talking motorboat speeds here, I mean that's what I thought it was at first but it wasn't quite big enough and it was totally silent when booking along.

Yeah I know hiding out in my tent wouldn't have done much but that's the whole concept of hiding! Apparently I woke up a whole bunch of other campers when I was running around because making so much noise.

sniper

Enlightened
mudmojo said:
Yeah I know hiding out in my tent wouldn't have done much but that's the whole concept of hiding! Apparently I woke up a whole bunch of other campers when I was running around because making so much noise.

Soooo...wast thou hiding from the Monster, or thy fellow campers? They can be a nasty lot, if awakened suddenly, I hear. :)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
mudmojo said:
Most of us Canadians don't have guns. The only loaded weapon I had that night was my mug which made its way through some Iceberg Vodka mixes and a bottle of red that night. Again I was in full control.

Tell you what you should have been holding in that case... a camera ;)

Then you'd see the sea monster sailing AWAY from you at full throttle thinking "Damn paparazzi, I come all this way here and they're STILL waiting for me!!" :crackup:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Yeah I know hiding out in my tent wouldn't have done much..."
I responded when a missle exploded at the site near Chico, CA.
It was operational but we were told no warheads were on *that* one.
They couldn't bleed the LOX off and it was a big boom with parts flying.
One guy said he crouched down by the chain link fence for protection.
His mind told him that this was useless but the rest of him ignored the advice.

Two low flying objects scared up by your light, then landing and turning away from you might explain it, except for the lights. I've seen birds fly like this. The body problem remains as does the reflective power of a birds eyes.

However many years ago there was a "ghost woman" who appeared on a bend and traveled across a road when it was raining or foggy. It turned out one of the reflectors marking the bend had a flaw in it.

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened
Here's a picture from our campsite towards the other campsite the morning after the sighting.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/mudmojo/misc/21MondayMorningMistonTomThompsonLak.jpg

I didn't bring my digicam nor would it or myself be able to take night time pictures anyway.

Birds with grapefruit sized eyes huh? Hmm... well I did see a stork paddling up there or down from there and those are pretty big but not quite the size of a canoe. Not sure if I would be able to hear wings flapping from where I was.

Anyway, there was definitely a body extending from the water so I don't think it was a bird as I know it.

Moe

Newly Enlightened
I love stories like that!
(And I really envy you for the place where you live.)

I have been canoeing in algonquin park some years ago. Season was almost over, so there were almost no other people except me and my girlfriend.
If i had seen "something" on the lake at 4 am i would have become "a little nervous" too, i guess.

I will have to check my canoe map, i am not sure, if we also stayed at lake Tom Thomson.
Anyway its on my "places to visit"-list when i will go there next time.

Let us know, when you find out more.

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
@mudmojo:

According to a map from a german geographic magazine ("GEO", similar to the "National Geographic Magazine") from May 1997, you're not the first one who saw a "Nessie" kind of creature in a canadian lake.
The details you described here about what you saw and how you saw it, all make sense to me. It is necessary to think about the other possibilities (flying things, bear, moose...), but IMHO all these explanations are even "crazier" than the obvious one.

C4LED

Enlightened
Article:

Investigators Search for Canadian Lake Monster

Joe Nickell
from the Skeptical Inquirer
LiveScience.com
Mon Oct 17,12:00 PM ET

Canada's Lake Simcoe, some forty miles north of Toronto, supposedly holds a monster known as Igopogo (after its more famous relative Ogopogo, in Lake Okanagan, British Columbia) as well as other appellations. Residents of Beaverton, on the eastern shore, call it Beaverton Bessie, while others refer to it as Kempenfelt Kelly, after Kempenfelt Bay, which has the lake's deepest water and claims the most sightings.

Sources refer vaguely to early "Indian legends" of the monster and sporadic reports of a "sea serpent" in the lake during the nineteenth century. Important sightings occurred in 1952 and 1963, and a "sonar sounding of a large animal" in 1983 was followed by a videotape in 1991 of "a large, seal-like animal."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20051017/sc_space/investigatorssearchforcanadianlakemonster