Sick of website commercials

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Out of 15 years of internet use, I could probably count the number of times I've clicked on a banner ad on one hand, which is why my use of an ad blocker doesn't really make any difference for the advertisers.

The advertising that's been most effective with me are the small-text Google AdSense ads, which my ad blocker doesn't block and I'm comfortable with.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of 15 years of internet use, I could probably count the number of times I've clicked on a banner ad on one hand, which is why my use of an ad blocker doesn't really make any difference for the advertisers.

The advertising that's been most effective with me are the small-text Google AdSense ads, which my ad blocker doesn't block and I'm comfortable with.

Advertising doesn't require you to click on the ads... It works even if you only see them.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
TwinBlade, I understand your point about the streaming video ads, but that's the price you pay for using online video. Tivo/DVR's resolves the issue on TV's where I watch most of my video. The only movie theater I have gone to in the last 3-5 years was to watch repeated episodes of Avatar 3D. I skip all the ad/movie promotional crap when I watch DVD/BR discs.

My question was specific to what Greta said above: "Somehow I have to make up for those who block the ads and don't donate anything to the site for its upkeep..." wondering if she or the advertisers know how many, or if anyone is blocking their ads, and if not, how that connected to needing to make up for it with new/different revenues. It was an informational curiosity.

I have a number of other win-win good ideas like the one I suggested of allowing people to buy features like more PM's, but there wasn't the slightest response/appreciation after mentioning it, so no point in suggesting others. :ironic:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ads on YouTube are annoying. I just skip them entirely by hitting the back button, then clicking on the vid I want to see a second time. Tends to work 9 times out of 10. I skip the ad.

Even more annoying are commercials when you go out to catch a movie. At the theatre, unlike helping to off-set the costs on some websites that provide a free service, nothing gets off-set. No reduced price for the movie. No reduced prices on popcorn or drinks. Not even a free crappy promotional item of any kind. It wasn't too long ago that, other than the film itself, the only thing you saw at the theatre were previews of upcoming films. While technically commercials, no one thought of them as such.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even more annoying are commercials when you go out to catch a movie. At the theatre, unlike helping to off-set the costs on some websites that provide a free service, nothing gets off-set. No reduced price for the movie. No reduced prices on popcorn or drinks. Not even a free crappy promotional item of any kind. It wasn't too long ago that, other than the film itself, the only thing you saw at the theatre were previews of upcoming films. While technically commercials, no one thought of them as such.

It's worth noting that the commercials are the choice of the theater, not the movie company. Where I used to live there were no commercials of any kind, and now that I've moved here there are all kinds of crappy phone company commercials... :shrug:

Tally-ho

Banned
AdBlock is very usefull to block signatures that look like ads :devil:

stanads.jpg

It is better like this:

starhalo.jpg

(Sorry StarHalo, the bulb's photo is great, but the stanley logo "bugs" me)

Last edited:

LotusDarkrose

Newly Enlightened
StarHalo, you are a king among men with signature pictures. That pic is effing hilarious! :thumbsup:

1. Ads on TV are fine. Very used to it by now.

2. Ads get blocked by adblock plus. If every banner was a non moving jpeg, or a very simple gif, I wouldn't even need adblock. I haven't seen any batteryjunction or 4sevens banners, but I've bought from both of them. It was people talking highly of them in a more personal way on these forums that backed my purchases anyways.

3. Ads before videos on sites that pay to use copyrighted material: Perfectly fine if the ad is 15 seconds or less. (Hulu has been pissing me off with their 30 second ads, 2 videos in a row crap though)

And StarHalo, I have the Stanley HID also. But if I disliked the Stanley company, I could look past it cause the bulb pic was hot :naughty:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get why a lot of sites do it. They have to cover their costs of providing YOU with a FREE service. Admittedly, none of you would actually PAY to use their site or watch their videos. Well... sadly... that is the mentality of most on the internet. And while it is completely FREE for you to use their site, it is not the least bit FREE for them to maintain the site for you to use. So while I don't particularly care to watch a Kotex commercial in between my bubble popping on Pogo Games, it is a very small "price" to pay if I want to continue to use their site for FREE. It's kinda like CPF... none of you HAVE to pay anything at all to use what I provide for you. If I were independantly wealthy and didn't have to worry for the rest of my life about money, I would gladly provide it all to you without subjecting you to advertising. But alas... I'm just a geeky little housewife living on my cop husband's salary.
Agreed.
Of course... instead of advertisements, I could simply charge you all a fee to use what I provide for you... but then I suspect a good number of you would simply go away... cuz it wouldn't be FREE anymore... :ironic:
Emphasis added by me.......
And that would be a bad thing? :whistle::p Should we tell people about the "pay for service super secret CPF" :crackup::stupid:

Tally-ho

Banned
It's a picture I took of the Stanley's bulb cooling down, then made into a sig in Photoshop.
Last time you took a photo of your flashlight's HID bulb to make an Ad for Stanley, so this time i presume you used a photo of your sister (or wife) to make a "cliché" about France. :devil:

francewq.jpg

I like it. :naughty:

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I know this thread is about commercials at the beginning of videos on the internet.

But what I hate, hate , hate is the tiny little ads in the bottom corner of the TV during the show. And it gets worse. Then, still during the actual program, they have a dancing advertisement go from one end of the screen to the other.

:hairpull:
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif
:hairpull:

Connor

Enlightened
I use Opera with this free adblock list: http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/
I hardly see any commercials at all.

This is a constantly updated list for FireFox, Opera and Chrome and the guy managing it is very responsive, if you find a site with ads that aren't blocked properly, he usually fixes it within a few hours, if possible.