Small Portable Radio's?

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was checking out radios last night on eBay and noticed there is a batch of new unopened Grundig G3s selling for $79.99.

I sent Thomas a link last night and he posted the details and his thoughts on his site. I have enjoyed mine and feel the price is very reasonable for what you get but there were quality issues with the G3 especially with the sync lock. With that said if you get one that works properly you should be very satisfied. I prefer the body style and build of the G3 and the G5/E5 which basically has the same body style as the G3 over the newer Eton Satellit.

I'm not sure if I ever posted this video on the CPF but the video will give you at least an idea of the sound differences between the models.

SWLing post

New old stock (NOS) Grundig G3s available on eBay

And Jay Allen's review.

Jay Allen's review of the Grundig G3

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all. I'm looking for a small handheld NOAA radio, and having trouble finding something that fits the bill and also gets good reviews.

At the moment I'm down to a choice between the Cobra CWR 200 and Midland HH54VP. Both have a lot of negative reviews for various reasons, but I get the impression they're from people who can't figure out how to program them.

My requirements:

Handheld
DC or USB powered, with USB strongly preferred
AA battery backup
SAME alert capable
Easy to silence all but the most critical/tornado alerts

AM/FM capability would be a plus, but it's not at all necessary

Under $50 would be good, but if the right thing is out there, I'm willing to spring for it.

I'm leaning towards the Cobra model solely because it has built-in NiMH charging off of USB. I have really bad AC outlet layout - old house - and adding yet another wall-wart to the mix is not appealing.

Thanks in advance.

C Crane Skywave. It does AM/FM, weatherband with SAME Alert and even a few shortwave bands. Runs on AAs or Mini (not micro, the mini connector which is larger) USB. It can also charge rechargeable AAs through the unit itself, but only when it's powered off, not while playing. Mine was over 100, they've dropped to around 85-89 now.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received an Eton Field 550. Used to have an S350DL but sold to a friend. Got to missing that form factor and the larger size for better sound and AM/shortwave reception compared to the few handheld/pocketable radios I have around. The separation of bass and treble seems more pronounced on this than what I remember from the S350DL. The amber display is a nice touch too. Liking it so far.

Last edited:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received an Eton Field 550. Used to have an S350DL but sold to a friend. Got to missing that form factor and the larger size for better sound and AM/shortwave reception compared to the few handheld/pocketable radios I have around. The separation of bass and treble seems more pronounced on this than what I remember from the S350DL. The amber display is a nice touch too. Liking it so far.

Congratulations on your new Eton Field Lit Up.

I know it could be several months before you really know but I would appreciate it if you could report back on the battery consumption. I would expect it to be pretty good.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering when this was going to happen but Anna is now selling an English version of the Tecsun ICR-110. Gene if you could have only waited for another month.

Yeah Steve, I figured they would come out with an English labled version sooner or later. I'm always late to the party. :) At least our friend here, member 5S8Zh5, provided me with an English manual.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A new member of Sangean's DT series which you all were so fond of months ago; the DT-160. 2xAA this time for 100+ hours of headphone play, jog dial, signal strength meter, clock, 10 memories, bass boost, sleep timer. Looks like a very nice combo of features and runtime for the I-don't-need-a-speaker set.

AFRUFNy.jpg

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sangean DT-160 looks nice. Perfect size for a shirt pocket but I personally would like it more if it had a speaker.

DIMENSIONS
Width (mm/inch) 63 / 2.48
Height (mm/inch) 101.2 / 3.98
Depth (mm/inch) 19.7 / 0.78
Weight (g & lb. oz) 72 / 2.5oz

StarHalo

Did you ever get your hands on the Amazon Tap? If so what do you think?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
StarHalo

Did you ever get your hands on the Amazon Tap? If so what do you think?

No, I'm waiting to see if Siri gets the same functionality since I'm mostly Apple over here. Reviews say the Tap has "good for its size" sound but is not on par with the Boom, so it'll be more for talk and background listening than casual enjoyment. I still like the idea though..

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've noticed the price at Amazon is rising fast on that Sony. I wonder if they will be coming out with a new model? Hope so.

Geoff

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I wonder if they will be coming out with a new model? Hope so.

Odds are essentially zero; since 1978, Sony has introduced a new 7600 model every 2-4 years, right up until this 7600GR model in 2001, which remained as-is until today. Sony's been out of shortwave in the US for a long time now, the GR was just a remnant of a former age..

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Odds are essentially zero; since 1978, Sony has introduced a new 7600 model every 2-4 years, right up until this 7600GR model in 2001, which remained as-is until today. Sony's been out of shortwave in the US for a long time now, the GR was just a remnant of a former age..

I doubt if Sony will come out with anything new to, if they do I don't think the receiver will be in the same class. I've been working on a review on the ICF-2010 that covers a little of the history of Sony and how Sony products compared to the competition back in the early eighties, maybe it would be a good time to post it.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
dc246b54-a34a-4fa4-a6e1-141416f32c67_zpsznqg2ooz.jpg

A few months ago I bought what appeared to be a very nice well preserved Sony ICF-2010 from a seller on eBay. In the world of small potable shortwave receivers the ICF-2010 was king for many years and may be the most legendary consumer class receiver of all time. After years of reading countless reviews and forum posts I just had to see for myself if the legend of the ICF-2010 really lived up to the hype. Part of my interest in the ICF-2010 stems from curiosity, I bought the Sony ICF SW-77 sometime around 1995 which is the successor to the ICF-2010 and over the years I have read many contradictory reviews and comments comparing the two. Both receivers were Sony flagships for their time but the SW-77 while being a great receiver never really achieved the same legendary status of the ICF-2010. One of the reason is the ICF-2010 is PLL synthesized (digital tuned) and at the time of introduction there were only a few other consumer class portable receivers on the market that were PLL synthesized making the ICF-2010 relatively unique. The ICF-2010 is a high performance full featured portable and completely out classed all of the other consumer class PLL synthesized receivers offering a degree of refinement the competition could not or would not match. In the nineteen eighties fierce competition among electronic manufactures across the world but mainly in Japan brought an explosion of new devices and rapid development of existing products already on the market. Products such as the personal computers, the Sony Walkman, CD players, VCRs, cell phones, video game consoles and camcorders all were introduced during the decade of the eighties or in their infancy. Small radios benefited from this accelerated atmosphere, in 1980 Sony introduced the first portable consumer class PLL synthesized receiver in history the Sony ICF-2001 making the early eighties the dawn of the transition from analog to digital for consumer class portables. PLL synthesized receivers were already available in professional class receivers but due to cost were out of the reach for most people. PLL synthesized receivers are microprocessor controlled and offer a whole new set of features analog receivers are not capable of providing. Direct keypad frequency entry, station memory, automatic scanning, exact digital frequency display and easy clock functions are common digital features. With the exception of digital frequency displays all other features are not possible with analog receivers. Analog receivers in the early eighties were well refined and could easily outperform the first generation of digital receivers but as digital receivers matured so did performance ultimately leaving the buyer a choice based on features which analog receivers were at a disadvantage.

a-icf2001_zpskww21vu7.jpg

Sony ICF-2001 (1980)
Photos courtesy of Universal Radio Inc.

You almost have to go back in time and take a look at the other portable digital receivers in the early eighties to understand why the ICF-2010 was so successful. In 1980 Sony introduced the first consumer class PLL synthesized receiver in history, the Sony ICF-2001. For those wanting a digital receiver with all of the additional features but not willing to pay the relatively steep price for a professional class receiver the ICF-2001 was a major breakthrough. The ICF-2001 was well received and was a huge success for Sony. The receiver was well built and had all of the digital features we have come to expect from an all-digital receiver today but the ICF-2010 was not perfect. The internal design of the ICF-2001 was relatively new and unrefined resulting in the receiver having an incredibly short battery life, the ICF-2001 could eat three D cell batteries in just 8 to 10 hours giving the receiver the nick name the battery eater. The battery draw was so high some reviewers reported the batteries actually warmed when using the receiver for just a short time. By today's standards the receiver was large measuring 12.8x6.8x2.2 and weighing in at four Lbs. The receiver offered continues AM coverage 150 - 29999 kHz accessed by either scanning, accessing six stored memories or direct key entry but unfortunately the receiver did not offer a traditional tuning knob. The receiver features a row of 5 LED diodes for a signal meter and supports SSB with BFO thumb wheel. Reviews are mixed on sensitivity and of course the battery consumption rate was unacceptable but overall reviews received high marks. The ICF-2001 stood for two years as the only consumer class portable PLL synthesized shortwave receiver available.

At a glance – Japan, 1980–1983, Double conversion, 12.8x6.8x2.2 " 4 Lbs, Continuous 150 to 29995 kHz, 6 memories, 3D 2AA, SSB support. New Price: $250-400

panr0799_zps4sbmoy94.jpg

Panasonic RF-799LBS (1982)

Panasonic was first to respond to the Sony ICF-2001 by introducing there first consumer class digital receiver the RF-799LBS in 1982. Compared to the Sony ICF-2001 the receiver was a step backwards leaving some wondering why Panasonic brought the receiver to market. The receiver was about the same price as the Sony ICF-2001 but was single conversion, did not support SSB, did not off a signal meter and was not continuous in SW coverage. Due to the differences between the ICF-2001 and the RF-799LBS sales were very low making the receiver a rarity today for collectors. Interestingly Panasonic clearly had the capabilities to produce a better consumer class digital receiver at the time, the RF-9000 and RF-6300 fared much better against the ICF-2001. Both the RF-9000 and RF-6300 were also introduced in 1982 and would easily compete against the ICF-2001, both receivers were digital, had an excellent build quality and offered more memory but both were also priced out of what most would consider consumer class. The RF-6300 sold for around $600.00 in 1982 which would equate to about $1500.00 in day's dollars and the RF-9000 was even more expensive selling for about $3000.00. The RF-9000 is an absolutely beautiful receiver and is now a very rare collectable today but from what few reviews I've read the RF-9000 was no more sensitive than the Sony ICF-2010 and the Sony provided double the memory plus a synchronous detector.

At a glance - Japan 1982-1985, Single conversion, 11.4 x 6.6 x 3.5 " 3.6 Lbs, Not continuous 150 to 29995 kHz, 10 memories, 4 C 2AA, No SSB support. New price $240-300

satellit_300a_1530795_zpsdt7vlfje.jpg

Grundig Satellit 300 (1883)
Photo credit Radiomuseum

Grundig introduced there first digital receiver in 1983, the Satellit 300 and like the Panasonic RF-799LBS some questioned Grundig for releasing a receiver that was subpar to the ICF-2001 especially given that the ICF-2001 had already been on the market for three years. Compared to the Sony ICF-2001 the Satellit 300 simply didn't measure up and many Grundig fans across the globe were taken back by the decision to give the 300 the Satellit name normally reserved for the top of the line receivers. The receiver was single conversion, didn't support SSB, and programed to use the numeric keys as memory first keys meaning you had to first press the set key to directly enter a frequency and did not have RF gain control. The shortwave bands were not continuous but divided in to two groups (3.9 - 10.5 MHz) and (10.5 - 22 MHz) requiring you to press a key to change groups. The receiver was slightly smaller than the ICF-2001 12 x 7 x 3" but was heavy weighting in six pounds without batteries. If the Satellit 300 couldn't measure up the ICF-2001 then of course there was no real comparison between the ICF-2010. On the positive side the receiver did offer 35 memories and was the first consumer class PLL synthesized receiver to offer a traditional tuning knob. MSRP: $300

At a glance – Made in Germany, 1983-1985, Single conversion, 12 x 7 x 3" 6 Lbs, Not continuous (3.9 - 10.5 MHz) and (10.5 - 22 MHz), 35 memories, 6 C & 3 AA, no SSB support.

a-Uniden%20CR2021_zps9japw3f4.jpg
a-Realistic%20DX-400_zpsgppubulk.jpg

Uniden CR-2021 (1983) and Realistic DX-400

We normally don't associate Uniden today with shortwave receivers but in 1983 Uniden briefly entered the market by introducing the CR-2021 which was a triple conversion PLL synthesized receiver. The CR-2021 was the first non-Sony PLL synthesized receiver to compare well against the ICF-2001 but still fell short in comparing to the ICF-2010 in many ways. What is interesting is Uniden had not previously manufactured a shortwave receiver yet the internals were very similar to the ICF-2001 leaving some to believe Uniden basically copied of the ICF-2001 and added some minor enhancements such as more memory to better compete. There may have been relationship between Uniden and Sony but if there was one then I have not been able to find any information to support it. Even though the receiver was triple conversion reviewers mentioned the receiver still had some imaging issues. When you take a quick glance at the radio it appears to have a tuning knob but that is not the case, the large knob located at the upper right corner is a SSB/CW fine tuning knob. Reviews suggest tuning was a little cumbersome using the up and down tuning keys but if you knew the frequency you also have the ability to directly input the frequency using the keypad. The CR-2021 was slightly larger than the ICF-2001 measuring 13 x 6.5 x 3.5 inches and heaver is weighing in at five pounds. Uniden clearly had their eyes on the CR-2021 when designing the receiver and to better compete with the ICF-2001 Uniden increased the receivers memory to 14 versus 6 on the ICF-2001 and used a set of 8 LED diodes verse 6 for the signal meter. The receiver offers continuous coverage between 150-30000 kHz and has ability to scan between two customizable frequencies ranges. The receiver operates using six C cells and two AA cells for the microprocessor and had a much better battery life then the ICF-2001. To cut cost the receiver was manufactured in Taiwan and had a street price of $150-170 which gave the CR-2021 a price advantage over the 2001. Within about a year Uniden struck a deal with Radio Shack and manufacturing the Realistic DX-400 which was basically the same as the CR-2021 with the exception the DX-400 had a traditional signal meter versus a row of LED diodes. MSRP: $249.95

At a glance - Made In: Taiwan 1983-1984, Triple conversion, 13 x 6.5 x 3.5 " 5 Lbs, Continuous 150 to 29995 kHz, 14 memories, 6 C 2AA, SSB support.

Sony%20ICF-2002_zpsia0y6qvu.jpg

Sony ICF-2002 (1983)

Sony introduced a second PLL synthesized receive in 1983, the highly regarded ICF-2002. The international model number for the ICF-2002 is the ICF-7600D. The receiver is a member of the Sony 7600 family started in 1978 and the series still continues today with the current model being the ICF-SW7600GR. The 7600 family is known for being small and compact and is designed for travel and portability. The ICF-2002 was introduced with great fanfare, people were absolutely amazed with all of the features compacted down to such a small receiver. The ICF-2002 performance was considered excellent with good sensitivity, quality sound and rugged build. The receiver is much smaller than the ICF-2001 and to accommodate the size the receiver is powered by four AA batteries for the radio and two AA batteries for the microprocessor. The ICF-2002 tunes from 150 to 29995 kHz, offered ten memories and a row of 10 LEDs for the signal meter. SSB with a fine tuning knob is supported. The ICF-2002 came close to comparing with the ICF-2010 but the receiver did not have a display light, back kickstand, battery indicator, and traditional tuning knob and did not have a synchronous detector. MSRP: $295.00
At a glance – Made in Japan, 1983–1987, Double conversion, 7.25x4.75x1.25" 1.5 Lbs, Continuous 150 to 29995 kHz, ten memories, 6 AA, SSB support.

The Sony 7600 family of small portable radios
1978 ICF-7600 Analog
1982 ICF-7600A Analog
1983 ICF-7600D/ICF-2002 PLL synthesized 10 memories
1987 ICF-7600DS/ICF-2003 PLL synthesized, 10 memories, stand on the back
1988 ICF-7601 Analog
1990 ICF-SW7600 PLL synthesized, 10 memories, stand on the back
1994 ICF-SW7600G PLL synthesized, 20 memories, Synchronous detection, stand on the back
2001 ICF-SW7600GR PLL synthesized, 100 memories, Synchronous detection, stand on the back

In 1984 Sony introduced the now legendary Sony ICF-2010. For Sony the ICF-2010 was only their third PLL synthesized receiver. In many people's eyes there was just no comparison between the ICF-2010 and the other consumer class PLL synthesized receivers available. The ICF-2010 was a huge success for Sony and regardless of what benchmark you use to measure success whether it is length of production, number of sales, innovations, or complete package the ICF-2010 measured up. Even by today's standards ICF-2010 is rock sold in terms of performance. The ICF-2010 was introduced in 1984 and stayed in productions until 2003 making the ICF-2010 one of the longest produced portable shortwave receiver in history. According to the Medium Wave Circle website the ICF-2010 also holds the record for highest sales for a portable shortwave receiver, the information could be a little dated now but it is clear from a sales perspective the receiver was tremendously successful for Sony. The ICF- ICF-2010 may best be known for the first consumer class receiver to include a synchronous detector. A synchronous detector is a circuit which enables the receiver to generate an internal carrier signal that matches and replaces the carrier signal being received. The resulting effect is a more stable signal with less fading and provides the ability to listen to either the upper or lower sideband which can help eliminate interference from adjacent stations. ICF-2010 was also the first Sony PLL synthesized receiver to offer a traditional tuning knob, a feature many consider a must have when selecting a receiver. Interestingly there were very little differences between the first receivers to roll off the line in 1984 verse the last one produced in 2003. With the exception of adding diodes to protect the frontend from static damage around 1990 and some other very minor changes, Sony clearly got this receiver right from the start. There were several variants of the ICF-2010, different countries have different laws as to which frequency ranges are legally receivable so Sony customized the receiver to accommodate various laws across the globe. To help combat grey marketing which in this case is the act of dealers importing Sony receivers meant for other countries into the United States Sony designated the model number ICF-2010 as the US version and the ICF-2001D as the model number used for all other countries. Authorized Sony repairs centers in the US could only provide warranty services for the ICF-2010 model.

Purchasing the ICF-2010 on eBay was relatively uneventful but if you ever decide to buy one you should know the lower serial number models lack the protective diodes to protect the frontend from static damage. Static from walking across the carpet as well as nearby lighting strikes have been known to take out the frontend dramatically lowering the sensitivity of the receiver. Generally speaking units manufactured after 1989 have the protective diodes but dating the receiver can be a little tricky because there is not always continuity with the date of manufacture and serial number. When I received the receiver and opened the box I was very impressed with the physical condition. The radio looked brand new with very little sign of usage and one would be hard pressed to believe the radio is 27 years old. You can tell from the photo there are no scratches and only after close examination did I find a very small scratch just below the tuning knob on the side. The photo of the receiver was taken so you can identify keys and as you can tell the layout is well thought out. What you cannot see from the photo are the sides, on the left you have the external antenna inputs, DX/Local, tape output, earphones, DC Power input, main power switch and on the left you have a slider gain control and three position tone control. The keys on the front are soft to the touch and the tuning knob is a non-step counter and is silky smooth. I am not a big fan of the volume and gain slider controls mainly because I have ready many reviews stating over time they become dirty and require cleaning but now they are both are smooth. All of the switches feel solid with little or no play and require little effort to operate but firm enough to prevent accidental tripping. The cabinet has a slot along the top towards the back for the antenna to lie flush with the top and has a clip to hold the antenna town when not upright. The base of the antenna also pulls out a bit so if the receiver is lying back on the backrest the antenna is still capable of pointing straight up. I would consider the overall build as solid and typical of a high-end consumer class receiver.

Turning the receiver on almost immediately revealed some problems. The power system using the 2 AA batteries feeding the CPU had an intermittent short causing the receiver to generate ERROR 3 messages, the slightest movement or even touching the radio could trigger the short. In addition there is a significant sensitivity differences when running the receiver on batteries versus using the AC adapter. When running the receiver on AC the receiver performed as expected but if you unplugged the AC adapter the meter bar would drop significantly. The differences on the meter could be as high as seven or eight bars as the meter fluctuated and at the lowest levels the receiver would lose sync even on strong signals. The LED backlight in the display was super dim but at least light had power. Given the issues I was a little disappointed and was tempted to return the receiver. I thought more discloser could have been given on the eBay listing but considering the excellent physical condition and the frontend seemed undamaged I decided I would send the receiver to Rod who is a member of several of the same yahoo users groups I am and I knew could address the issues.

Rod has worked on over 400 ICF-2010 over the past 10 years and basically has seen it all. When you send Rod an ICF-2010 he essentially has a list of mods he performs. For about seventy dollars Rod will replace the LED backlight with a much brighter LED and a color of your choice, install the diodes for static protection, build-up all the voltage contacts, add a super capacitor for memory back-up so you won't lose your stored stations when changing batteries, adjust the sync, clean the controls and pots, add a wood support post for the AA battery terminal which is a known weak point in the design and add a ground wire for the CPU. The mods pretty much address all the known ageing issues for the ICF-2010 and these mods also cured the issues with my ICF-2010. Rod's impression of the physical appearance was the same as mine in that the receiver appeared new and seemed to be rarely used. Rod notice some of the components were stamped with a manufacture date of 1988 which would roughly match the serial number database on the ICF-2010 yahoo users group dating my receiver as being manufacture sometime in late 1989.

Using the ICF-2010 is pretty straight forward and if you have any knowledge of shortwave receivers you will not need to refer to the manual just to listen to stations. One common problem for a first time user is you just need to keep in mind there are two power switches, the main power switch located on the side meant to be used when traveling to keep from accidently turning the receiver on and the second switch located at the top left of on the front. Learning how to store stations into memory and setting frequency ranges for scanning require a quick read but overall the radio is simple to use. You may have noticed from the picture but the ICF-2010 has several keys on the front with many having a second function activated by pressing the shift key. If the shift key is not pressed then all of the colored keys in the center of the receiver are used to access the 32 memories with each key representing a stored location.

Sony ICF-2010 Basic Operations Video

I recorded several YouTube videos and tried to catch the sound and performance differences between different receivers using a Samsung Galaxy SIII but it would have been nice if I had a nice camcorder. Still you should be able to get a good idea of some differences. I should point out especially for AM and SW that while recordings can help differentiate between receivers a few sample recordings doesn't tell the whole story and conditions can dramatically change performance in different ways with different receivers.

Sound quality on FM and is good for a portable and the speaker has no problem pumping the volume but compared to the larger receivers the base is slightly lighter.

FM Sound Sample

AM presents some tuning challenges mainly because the wide bandwidth mode is just too wide. I normally have to select the narrow bandwidth mode even on a strong AM station to achieve a clean sound. Kiwa Electronics sells a popular filter upgrades which can narrow the bandwidth as well as other upgrade to enhance the sound.

AM Sound samples

Strong signal sample

Weak AM signal Sample

Very weak

SW has the same wide filter as on AM but given the SW bands are less crowded it is not always necessary to select the narrow bandwidth. It would be helpful to have a finer tuning option for SSB.

Strong SW Sample

Weak SW Sample

Special thanks to Fred Osterman, President of Universal Radio Inc. who gave permission to use photos from the Universal Radio website for this review. Universal Radio Inc. also maintains the website http://www.dxing.com for the enthusiast community which is an excellent resource for information regarding legacy receivers. Fred Osterman is also the author of Shortwave Receivers Past & Present Communications Receivers 1942-2013, I bought the book and am very impressed with the volume of information the book provides.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review. Sort of makes me want to find one. I have an ICF-SW7600G, a fine little radio.

Bill

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A few months ago I bought what appeared to be a very nice well preserved Sony ICF-2010

Great article-post. I miss that button-for-everything golden era of Sony, back when the remote for your Sony TV or VCR was the size of a full graham cracker and was just a field of buttons; I wish the current crop of Chinese manufacturers would give that a try, instead of pressing multiple buttons to enter codes.

Strange to think that the consumer portable digital radio peaked four years after it was introduced, but there it is..

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Great review of the Sony radios. Now I feel like I need to get my old 7600D fixed. It served my well for many years. Enjoy your 2010. I'm jealous.

Geoff

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Guys! I appreciate your kind comments.

Flying Turtle if you decide you want to repair your radio and would like a referral for someone to do the work then send me a PM and I will send you Rod's contact information. Rod is hobbyist so he works on radios in addition to his regular job so turnaround time might be a little slow but he dose good work and is well respected in the Sony 2010 users groups.

I would also recommend Vladimir Karamitrov, he goes by Vlado. Thomas from SWLing recommended Vlado when I asked him who he would use to recap a couple of Panasonic RF-2200s. I was very pleased with his work and he is easy to do business with. His website is http://hamradio.repair/.

It's not easy to find people who can work on the older radios but these guys a very reasonable.