Solarforce L2 impressions (Cree R2 5-mode)

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
How tan is "sand"? Is the black gloss or flat? Other colors?

I have the black and sand colours. The black is glossy, a bit like Maglites. The 'sand' is matt and looks pretty much sand coloured to me. I prefer the sand finish.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
Danm you guys!

with weary eyes last night at 3.30am i just surfed thru the cpf, and thought to finally read the few threads of this solarforce light. big mistake.

as i ended up buying one. L2 r2 18650

sheesh. i dont need it per se. i do have the tk11 for that size.

i am not sure if i even want it that bad.. had been eyeing other lights. (warm tinted and flood lights and such)

but it was cheap and you guys made it sound like a good deal.

-hmm i guess i must test it as is, and then order a warm tint drop-in for it, if its worthy of one.

-dropin options were the main reasoning i gave to myself for buying it

-second reason: cheap.
-third reason: i have no lights coming. the ones i have ordered have arrived already. need a cheap fast fix. hahahhaha.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
but it was cheap and you guys made it sound like a good deal.

It really is a good deal. :D And, I think they're quite worthy of a nice drop-in, but you'll see when it arrives. I just hope they maintain their standards which have earned them popularity.

Slash5

Newly Enlightened
If you are looking to play with drop ins, you can get a complete Solarforce light less dropin module for under $15 on Ebay.
I've got a black and a Gunmetal on their way.
And MCE and R2 ramping modules shipped and XR-E Q2 warm module backordered.

TallNHairyDave

Newly Enlightened
I've got two L2s with R2 single-mode dropins in them, and I have to say that I'm completely blown away with them. Got one on a "what's this light like then?" whim and went and ordered a second one to keep in the car.

For the money, you can't beat it.

UK CPF'ers - I've found a UK Solarforce official dealer, and their prices BEAT eBay most of the time for L2s and Solarforce dropins. Apparently they'll be getting the L1 torches in soon as well.

Service I've had from them is top rate too. You can find them at: http://www.kmnw.co.uk/solarforce.htm (I AM NOT AFFFILIATED WITH THEM. Just a happy customer).

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
UK CPF'ers - I've found a UK Solarforce official dealer, and their prices BEAT eBay most of the time for L2s and Solarforce dropins.

Mine are from the same place. Excellent service and fast UK delivery. Got my Surefire's from him too.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been saying for years the Solarforce L2 is an awesome flashlight for it's versatility, modular configuration and overall quality of construction with the low price in mind--definitely a bang for the buck flashlight! Flashlight Express has the best deals and has a kit that comes with 1 head, 1 P60LED Cree XR-E R2 WC module, 1 L2 18650 body, 1 L2M body, Tailcap and Lanyard Ring for $29.90 shipped. If you don't mind the shipping time it takes (like all Asian dealers using standard air mail), they seem to offer the best deals on Solarforce products.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course if I put 2 16340 cells in it and it goes :poof: then I'll know I didn't get the module I was supposed to get (3.7 - 8.4).
I received my pair of TrustFire protected 16340s today.

Put them in the L2 and it worked fine...no :poof: :thumbsup:

Didn't seem to be any brighter than when using the unprotected 18650 that came with the light or an AW protected 17670.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Black Rose... I think you'll find that an 18650 will serve you better than two 16340s in most circumstances. I've come to the point of using a single cell (18650 if possible, if not, a 17670) in all of my "6P-size" (2*16340 size) lights and using my 16340s only in my single cell lights. 18650s simply ROCK! :twothumbs

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried using 2 16340s to see if my drop-in was what was advertised since I got a Super Bright R2 with no voltage ranges shown.

I plan on using only 18650 or 17670 cells in all my 2xCR123A lights - much safer and better runtime.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried using 2 16340s to see if my drop-in was what was advertised since I got a Super Bright R2 with no voltage ranges shown.

I plan on using only 18650 or 17670 cells in all my 2xCR123A lights - much safer and better runtime.

Right on, brother! I'm there with ya. Enjoy the light, my friend!

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 5-mode L2 module also says "Super Bright R2" on the label. Tried it with 2x 16340 - no problems. As far as I can tell, no difference in brightness compared with 18650.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it was a bit odd but I still have a 5-mode R2 module - that's the main thing.

My grey L2 R2M 18650 shipped today, so I'll see what it has in it sometime next week.

I should send a note to Solarforce store and ask why I have a "Super Bright R2" module in my Solarforce light and see what they say.
My grey L2 R2M arrived today :thumbsup: What a gorgeous colour....looks almost like dark titanium.

This one has a red banded Solarforce R2-M 4.2V-8.4V LED module in it.

The Solarforce module seems brighter than the Super Bright R2 module that came in my black L2.
I think the Solarforce module has a cooler tint, which might be why it seems brighter.
The Solarforce module is a little bit shorter and has what looks like an all brass pill, whereas the Super Bright module has an aluminum/brass combo pill.

EDIT: The Solarforce module also has mode memory, which the Super Bright R2 5-mode does not.

It also came with a different battery than my black L2 R2M.
This one is a 3.7V 2800 mAh ICR 18650 cell. It has TX21G033111 printed on it. No other markings on it to indicate who the manufacturer might be.

EDIT 2: After letting the battery come up to room temperature for a few hours, it only registers 2.8V

Last edited:

supasizefries

Enlightened
Hey guys I just got my L2 R2-M today and it seems to have mode memory. :confused: I ordered mine from the solarforce store. Man, for the money, this light is really hard to beat. Build quality is excellent IMHO. Size and ergonomics are really to my liking. I ordered it with an extension tube in case I want to run with 2 18650's. I'm happy with this light all around. Since building my M@g P7, I'm a little spoiled with output though. Modding this light is in my future. :candle:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
Grey one arrived today (or yesterday) ordered it on 15th and it is 23rd now. one week delivery time!

and it is pretty light! real puurdy lookin one! :faint:

the ano is good.. didnt see any mistakes in it. and the color, it is fantastic..no, seriously, i REALLY like the color! :drool: :grin2:

the general feel and gribbability is nice.. knurlings and shape is fine.. at the same time its smooth enuff and easy to hold and still gritty enough.. and the bezel has the lugnut shape so it wont roll of the table. also the indentations inside the bezel covering the lense are nice touch. me like it.

memory mode too! and that is great feature for me as i do like them start low!

reverse clicky is one i dont like. ( i like momentary action in my lights) but i knew this before i ordered it. so cant complain.

but for 25$ it cost.. its a GREAT value. i am happy with it. :D

i am afraid i must order more of these at some point. because, it is just too pretty to go into my toolbox in the car. i thought to chuck it in there originally but now, umm just cant .. not until i have scratched or dented it.. i just should of bought the black one instead to avoid this dilemma. HAHAH :shakehead

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grey one arrived today (or yesterday) ordered it on 15th and it is 23rd now. one week delivery time!
Ordered 03-29, shipped 04-03, 3 weeks later nothing... I've never lost a package and I hope it's not my first time:crazy:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered 03-29, shipped 04-03, 3 weeks later nothing... I've never lost a package and I hope it's not my first time:crazy:
You are in the UK aren't you?

My L2G-R2M-18650 shipped on 04-14 and I received it 04-21.
The customs entry point for these packages gets several inbound flights from Hong Kong daily, so packages arrive from Hong Kong very quick....faster than from the US actually :thinking:

Not that this helps now, but I asked SolarforceStore about tracking options and they will add tracking for you if you ask for it. They said it would add an extra day onto the shipping time.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grey one arrived today (or yesterday) and it is pretty light! real puurdy lookin one! :faint:

the ano is good.. didnt see any mistakes in it. and the color, it is fantastic..no, seriously, i REALLY like the color! :drool: :grin2:

me like it.

i am afraid i must order more of these at some point. because, it is just too pretty to go into my toolbox in the car. i thought to chuck it in there originally but now, umm just cant .. not until i have scratched or dented it.. i just should of bought the black one instead to avoid this dilemma. HAHAH :shakehead

Yeah! I've got two grey 18650 L2's and a grey L2m and they are so beautiful I can't treat them like beaters, dang it! :crackup: The only thing I'm not happy about the grey ones is Surefire doesn't make a Z59 tail cap in grey to match the L2!

Here's a seriously great set-up: a black 18650 L2 with R2 lamp assembly ($25 for complete light, R2 5-mode lamp, holster, and 18650 cell including shipping from solarforce store) mated with a Surefire Z59 tail cap ($42) would be superior 6P (at $67). You get a 5-mode R2 lamp in a high quality 6P host with Surefire's great Z59 tailcap! Sweet. And the lens retaining ring on the Solarforce bezel is stainless steel vs. the cheesy black plastic ring on the Surefire 6P bezel. That's a real hot ticket for a moderate price in my view.

Last edited: