Some of Hogo's Evil Plans for 2020

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I figured that.

Is Stainless Steel still on the table?

A lot will depend upon the success of the BeCu run. If that doesn't go well, Henry and I will scrap the other runs and then just focus on other stuff... like finally building our own titanium, bronze, and brass lights! LOL!

nbp

Flashaholic
Well we have already had four special runs that were successful so I don't know why the BeCu would be different and it would suck if only the high dollar special runs came to fruition and the relatively basic and hopefully more attainable but certainly desirable NAT run got the shaft. In any case I will wait patiently for more news.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the reason for this additional "test" is to find out how it works with a 2nd run than is quite similar like the Ti run. I do bot expecte that 70 units will ne sold that fast. The Ti preorder rate was quite high only ~20-30 units went into the normal official sale.
Also surprising for me was that the Bare Al run last for almost 3 days with only 18 available units. It least I got #18 since I had the feeling that the poor #18, that no one wanted to buy, also deserves a a nice and warm home with some other HDS friends...
I really expected that the Bare Al Lights last only for a few hours. The price with ~$400 was also in a lower range, no $700 or $1000.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
My take on the demand for special runs is that there is a limited market of people that will spend over $300 on a high quality, high functional, proprietary technology, general purpose flashlight.

The majority of that market likely already has one or more HDS flashlights. So the question is how different is the special run from the previously available HDS lights. Bare aluminum is a color not a special metal run. Copper will be very successful, NAT not so much unless it looks really cool compared to the last aluminum run because it is a color choice, not a special metal. (If I understand the NAT offering - it is aluminum, right?)

I do not think price is much of an issue with this market and may only bring very few new HDS customers into the fold.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me this special run lights give people, who wants not the "normal Version" of a HDS, the possibility getting something special, but still a HDS. The demand for this special run Lights is quite low since the base price is high.
But I was surprised that the Bara Al run took that long to be gone. But anyway I am hoping for the BeCu run. I only have a BeCu LF2XT that looks more yellow than red. Therefore I definately want a HDS in copper look :)

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
And then there's the HDS fans like me who own several but believe that anodized aluminum is the best material for an HDS and thus are not interested in exotic metals.

flashlight nut

Enlightened
Just my 2 cents. I love the heft of my brass HDS. I've been carrying it ever since I received it. I'm used to carrying relatively pricey gear compared to most people but once you get out of the $500 to $600 range I would worry about losing it and probably wouldn't carry it. I buy things with the intent of using it and not keeping it under lock and key. Copper is enticing but I was disappointed and surprised to hear it would be as expensive as the Ti. If it was in the range of the brass and bronze I would be in. Right now I would be only interested in stainless steel or another run of bronze. I was soooo close but missed out on the bronze by seconds. I got one of those "Dear Flashaholic" emails from Dan.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Standard copper would be cheaper... but soft.
Figured BeCu as it is extremely strong... strong enough they make tools out of it for "if it sparks, I die" environments.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the reason for this additional "test" is to find out how it works with a 2nd run than is quite similar like the Ti run. I do bot expecte that 70 units will ne sold that fast. The Ti preorder rate was quite high only ~20-30 units went into the normal official sale.
Also surprising for me was that the Bare Al run last for almost 3 days with only 18 available units. It least I got #18 since I had the feeling that the poor #18, that no one wanted to buy, also deserves a a nice and warm home with some other HDS friends...
I really expected that the Bare Al Lights last only for a few hours. The price with ~$400 was also in a lower range, no $700 or $1000.

My take on the demand for special runs is that there is a limited market of people that will spend over $300 on a high quality, high functional, proprietary technology, general purpose flashlight.

The majority of that market likely already has one or more HDS flashlights. So the question is how different is the special run from the previously available HDS lights. Bare aluminum is a color not a special metal run. Copper will be very successful, NAT not so much unless it looks really cool compared to the last aluminum run because it is a color choice, not a special metal. (If I understand the NAT offering - it is aluminum, right?)

I do not think price is much of an issue with this market and may only bring very few new HDS customers into the fold.

I imagine the bare naked lady run took longer to sell out because of different reasons. It has been slower lately and times might be tight for some.

I also agree that there is a target market for the special metals runs. The majority want to stay around current pricing. I also agree that the premiums for special metals makes people second guess if they should carry them with the thought of losing the light or adding character to them.

I've been down for nat ha matched or mismatched since the first talk of it. I'm also down for different colors of HA. I love the idea of the special metals but it's hard to bite on the premiums required.

I do think it's great they have been offered though as well as all the different emitter choices we have had a chance to experience.

If i used my lights on a daily basis, i could see paying more for the special lights. Just not currently the case for me.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also agree that there is a target market for the special metals runs. The majority want to stay around current pricing. I also agree that the premiums for special metals makes people second guess if they should carry them with the thought of losing the light or adding character to them.
I use my special run lights. Currently my Bare Al is with me. It is a light weight, and that is cool. My Bronze or Bras is more the opposite of the Bare Al.

I've been down for nat ha matched or mismatched since the first talk of it. I'm also down for different colors of HA. I love the idea of the special metals but it's hard to bite on the premiums required.
The Nat HA is also interesting for me, since I love it to have a flashlight that is not black. In the past surefire had a lot Nat HA lights. The part colors were not matching at all, but for me it was looking great. But today all lights are black. Even Surefire went to black, and the last interesting SF light was the Aviator!

I do think it's great they have been offered though as well as all the different emitter choices we have had a chance to experience.
The limited LEDs were the best idea that HDS (that means Hogo) had. At first with the groupbuys and later with the limited LED selections directly @HDS. I think HDS has the largest LED selection of all LED manufacturers. I did not count them but there were ~8 different 219C, 3 219B, XPL 4000K 325 Lumens, XP-L 4000K 300Lumens, XP-G3 4000K, SST-20 4000K, Amber LED as groupbuy option / Limited LED. That is great. Everyone has the possibility to find out the perfect light... I hope this Limited LED option will stay forever with different LEDs. I really love this option.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel black is getting old and everyone has it but it's a good color that everyone can use without issue. I'm still in for something different.

Yes, i think that's Dans plan for emitters as he has mentioned it. It's easier/better for them to do smaller runs on emitters rather than buying a bulk reel. Maybe not easier but better. It gives people more chances to possibly find their grail emitter. However, sometimes less is more.

You just like having every option;)... except you're still missing NB4:poke:...one of the best imo

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You just like having every option;)... except you're still missing NB4:poke:...one of the best imo
No I do not need every option :) I also would like to have a 568nm yellow-green HDS. The HDS is more 520nm, it is a pure green. But I was checking for some 3535 LEDs with 568nm... does not looks good :(

I would be more interested getting a NB30 (3000K 219B 9080 - even if it is below 200 lumens) instead of a NB4. I have too much 4000K lights and too less low K lights.

My best 4000K lights: The SST-20 is a little bit on the yellow side, the NB40 is on the rosy side. Both have a perfect (or almost perfect) beam - what means color in the center and outer is the same. All my NB40 are perfect in this. The SST-20 is not exactly the same in the center and outer, but the difference in color is extremely low.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear sw30 r9080 is nice. However i don't use warm lights as often. Sw35 r9080 is very nice as well. Not too warm. Sw35 is the emitter I've been using at night around the house and to find my way to bed in the dark.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the chances of there being a HiCRI LED with the die size of XPL. It seems that most of the HiCRI LED's are small die and I really like the bigger hotspot of the XPL.