SST-90 (Super Sonic Transmitter) Maglite Build *Up To 7.3A Now*

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SST-90 (Super Sonic Transmitter) Maglite Build *Beamshots*

Awesome! I think your need to change you name to LEDbender. :) Looking forward to some beamshots.:popcorn:
:D:D
It is strictly a show off light like an ostar on steroids burst only or should it be burst always. Five minutes and you can't hold it. It is still cool to see it light up the night. Need to figure out how to get it in a FM 3" or one of those all ribbed lights he was going to make. I was just glad the solder did not melt:devil:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

George replaced the FET with a 10A one so if you specify that when ordering im sure he would send that version, and you would be ok.

Man that is great news I will order a few on monday. I know Mac was having some trouble with them and I had one that did not behave right on higher voltage.

Thanks for the news

Dave

kz1000s1

Enlightened

I did another test with the 26650. Ran it for 6 min., starting amps 4.06, 4.2V. At the end, 3.6A 4.06V.
It got hot, but not uncomfortable. About the same as a DD P7 in a Mag C. It's definitely putting out more than a P7.
I can't wait until we get some good bins!

That triple sounds cool Dave! I saw PSM's EllieII Quad P7 in action at the SHOT party and if it's anything like that...WOW!

What amperage are you getting now with a single SST-90?
I want to try a D2Flex with mine too.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did another test with the 26650. Ran it for 6 min., starting amps 4.06, 4.2V. At the end, 3.6A 4.06V.
It got hot, but not uncomfortable. About the same as a DD P7 in a Mag C. It's definitely putting out more than a P7.
I can't wait until we get some good bins!

That triple sounds cool Dave! I saw PSM's EllieII Quad P7 in action at the SHOT party and if it's anything like that...WOW!

What amperage are you getting now with a single SST-90?
I want to try a D2Flex with mine too.

I had the single mounted on a different board that I don't know if I got good solder up under or probably since it was small just did not do the job of these and the solder melted :Dbefore I could test.

I think I am getting a little higher here because we are working off of three of them. If you watch the meter it starts around 4.5 and steady climbs to its max and then levels off and stays there. That is what is amazing with the leds is they are very stable on high, the lumens don't drop much at all when the heat up. I think that is because they still have much head room left.

You probably would not hold this one after five minutes, but then its X3.

Dave

The one on left is the triple and a single 90 on the right

whitesst90X3.jpg
sstbeam.jpg

Last edited:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't got to test one, you are already got a tripple! :mecry:

Nice work Dave! Let's see some pics.

kz1000s1

Enlightened

George replaced the FET with a 10A one so if you specify that when ordering im sure he would send that version, and you would be ok.

This is the new D2Flex V2.0 Driver that George is now shipping.

Mine arrived today and is happily running at 4.25A behind the SST-90.
I'm only running one wire per side to the emitter now. It didn't make any difference and it was difficult to do. I love multi-levels on a light like this. It makes a great bedside light. On low you can look around the house without blinding yourself, then if you need to blind someone else or light up your entire yard..no problem.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Re: SST-90 (Super Sonic Transmitter) Maglite Build *Up To 6 Amps Now*

Tonight, after reading Electrolumens thoughts on the SST-90, I decided it was time to PUMP UP THE VOLUME!!!!

I took the heatsink and switch assembly out of the 2D and put it in a 3D.
Next, a C cell adapter tube and 4 C NiMh. 5.6V off the charger.

Now we're getting some amperage. 6A peak and settling to 5.6A after a few minutes. And the only C's I have are some cheap Energizers.
Heat? Not that much different than at 4.25A.
Output? :wow::wow::wow:
The hotspot looks like it could be twice as bright as my P7 light. And so far nothing melted or burned up. The D2Flex is still working good too.

moviles

Enlightened

Tonight, after reading Electrolumens thoughts on the SST-90, I decided it was time to PUMP UP THE VOLUME!!!!

Now we're getting some amperage. 6A peak and settling to 5.6A after a few minutes. And the only C's I have are some cheap Energizers.
The hotspot looks like it could be twice as bright as my P7 light. And so far nothing melted or burned up. The D2Flex is still working good too.

it is very good idea to utilize 4c batteries (4.8v ni-mh/6valcalines)for the sst-90 :thumbsup:

but why you only obtain 6 amp? maybe that those batteries have very high internal resistance..... or there be not good contacts electric contacts

pictures?

kz1000s1

Enlightened

The C cells I have are only 2500 Mah and they probably do have high resistance. Plus I have no idea what the actual forward voltage is for this led.

shdwkeeper

Newly Enlightened

Dave -

Do you even need the D2Flex driver board with these LEDs? Or can you just Direct Drive them with the 4 C NiMhs? Or without the board will it go :poof:?

kz1000s1

Enlightened

No, you don't need the D2Flex which is just a PWM dimmer board. I don't think it has any effect on output or amperage draw (on high level). The D2Flex was installed before I tried the C's, so I can't say for sure though. YMMV
With the IMR26650 draw and output were the same with and without the driver. That's been my observation with P7 lights also.

Also keep in mind that the C cells I have are only 2500 Mah Energizers. A better quality battery may push the LED harder and have different results.

There is one other thing I haven't mentioned yet. With the C cells the driver has a whining sound on levels 2-4 only.

dan1million

Newly Enlightened
Re: SST-90 (Super Sonic Transmitter) Maglite Build *Up To 6A Now*

Just to throw my hat in the ring here,

(I realise this is obvious to alot of people but......)

If you have a low voltage device like an led which runs a relatively high current, in order to be able to achieve high current you will need a relatively low series resistance.

The (main) links in the chain are:

Led itself, connections inherent resistance.
Wiring in general, to led, switch, driver etc etc
Driver board switching mosfet Rds typically this is in the order of >20 milli Ohm
Body of torch/light if it is in circuit
Battery terminals/ terminals in general
Cell or Battery internal resistance
Heatsink resistance if it is in the electrical path....

List goes on depending on the light.

any how the point i wanted toget across is at this current and quite low voltage The DMM and leads you use will also have quite a large effect on the current drawn. Typical DMM leads are in the order of 0.1 - 0.3 Ohm Each which is 0.2 - 0.6 Ohm total - Plus the DMM internal shunt resistance
which can range from 0.001 Ohm to even 1 Ohm so there will be a relatively large reduction in current due to this.

In in order to achieve 9A (if that is eveyones goal) and perhaps secretly i wanna see an sst-90 driven to max in a mag or something like that.. seeing as they are unobtainium at the mo. you need 3.7(nom)/9 ~ 0.4 Ohm total.

Sorry for the rant. I might just be upset going to work soon on saturday :p

-Dan

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Re: SST-90 (Super Sonic Transmitter) Maglite Build *Up To 6A Now*

I had thought the C cells were fully charged when I tried them before but they weren't.

Now, at full charge, the amperage draw is:

7.3A!! :twothumbs

The sad thing is my beloved P7 Mag now seems wimpy in comparison.
Now that it's working harder this thing is really putting out some light.
If you go by the SST-90 spec sheet and make the assumption that this is
a lower WL flux bin emitter, then at 7A it should have 1360 lumens.
It looks like it could be close to that. For a top bin WN you would get
1920 lumens at 7A.

No angry blue, melted solder or other sign of problems so far. It gets hot
a lot faster then it did at 6A. I haven't run it more than 30 sec. at a time
on high. My new multi-meter has a temperature probe. I'll try to get some readings later. Temperature protection in the driver is set to 70°C (158° F) .

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
For that high amperage, don't you need a Amp-Clamp type meter? I thought most multimeters only went to 10A or so, and are not very percise at the higher levels. That's some serious power~!

No, :stupid:, the amp clamp I have here is 400A AC, not DC, just won't work! disreguard.... :ohgeez:

Last edited:

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
A Clampmeter is needed to get accurate readings.
Usual DMM have an internal resistance of about 0.1 to 0.2Ohms. I have also seen higher resistances in cheaper multimeters.
Voltage drops from 0.5V to 1V is the result. In "semiconductor world" that much increase of voltage will result in a much much higher increase of current.

So therefore if you are getting readings of 5A with a standard multimeter it is possible that the current will jump to much higher levels when the meter is removed, even 9A is possible.