SST-90 (Super Sonic Transmitter) Maglite Build *Up To 7.3A Now*

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Re: SST-90 (Super Sonic Transmitter) Maglite Build

Just curious, what's the wattage of your iron? I have a SST-90 as well but haven't attempted anything with it yet other than hooking up an IMR 18650 to it direct drive for about a second. This thing is bright! :D

I was using a 15W iron. It didn't really have a problem getting the LED hot, it's that the LED conducted it away so fast.

I chamfered the inside edge of the heatsink and shortened the the reflector a little around the hole to get full focus with the mag reflector.
It seems to have worked.

Last edited:

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Re: SST-90 (Super Sonic Transmitter) Maglite Build

I did some testing with the now focused Mag reflector. The beam still has some artifacts around the hotspot.
Compared to a P7 the hotspot is the same size, just a little smoother and of course, brighter.

Next, I ran it for 6 minutes straight to see how hot it got.
The answer, although it got warm, the light never got hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold. No problems with the light. Nothing went :poof:
At this point the battery (AW IMR18650) was only able to supply 2.4A and the standing voltage was 3.72V, down from 4.2V fully charged.

I ordered a Battery space IMR 26650 today to give this thing a little harder push.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SST-90 (Super Sonic Transmitter) Maglite Build *Beamshots*

I fired up my build with the IMR 26650, but it's only slightly brighter than P7,
not what I was hoping for. These SST-90 samples seem to have high Vf,
not pulling high currents under direct drive.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

I fired up my build with the IMR 26650, but it's only slightly brighter than P7,
not what I was hoping for. These SST-90 samples seem to have high Vf,
not pulling high currents under direct drive.

And your current to the LED was???

Mac

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, Mac, I don't have an AMP meter,
buy the brightness I don't think it could have been more than 4A.

dan1million

Newly Enlightened

Nice work kz1000s1,

Looks like the SST-90 could be a real contender... led tech is moving so quickly....

you dont happen to have a beam shot with it focused yet do you ?

-Dan

kz1000s1

Enlightened

you dont happen to have a beam shot with it focused yet do you ?

-Dan

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I didn't retake the beamshots because the difference is so small they would still look the same. At the time I didn't know how close the light was to being at full focus. It turns out that it was very close, closer than I thought it would be.

If you have a P7 maglite, just imagine if you could increase the brightness of both the hotspot and spill just enough so that you could easily notice the difference, that's what this SST-90 light looks like. Everything else looks the same except that the hotspot is somewhat smoother, perhaps because this is a single die versus the four die P7.

easilyled

Flashaholic

Can anyone recommend a charger for the batteryspace 26650 cell please?

kd5ahl

Newly Enlightened

Batteryspace sells them.

What I did was to order the one referenced on the description of the cell itself.

is this the cell you have?

if so, its the same one I have. I ordered this charger for it.

Last edited:

kz1000s1

Enlightened

Batteryspace might have a charger for it. For now I'm just going to make an adapter to use with my 18650 size charger.

kz1000s1

Enlightened

I tried a few more changes to reduce overall resistance including a second set of wires to the emitter, but it still couldn't get over 4.6 amps with the IMR 18650.

Tommorow I'll have my batteryspace 26650 and some 10000MaH NiMhs to try out.

kz1000s1

Enlightened

I charged up the batteryspace 26650 (4.2V) and only got 4.2 amps. However, I think it may have been able to sustain the amperage better because it got a little warmer and stayed that way longer than with the 18650. It was also at least as bright. The 26650 battery was still at 4.04V after running awhile.

I don't know how anyone is getting 9-10A unless my emitter is an underachiever, extremely efficient, or my light has some huge resistance loss in it.
For reference, I'm getting 3.4A from several Mag C P7's and 2.5A from a Surefire M2 P91 LA 2xIMR16340.

Last edited:

kd5ahl

Newly Enlightened

use the largest gauge of wire you can solder onto the emitter, and the shortest possible length. Avoid connectors or multiple joints in each wire to minimize resistance.

Switch resistance can also play a role, as can the resistance of the wires to your multimeter.

basically shorten everything up and use the fattest wires you can.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

I checked the SST-90 I have here and I got the same. Right around 4 amps connected to a 26650.

Mac

kz1000s1

Enlightened

Thanks Mac!
Was that in a light or just an emitter?

My emitter is connected with 2 22g silver coated mil-spec
wires per side. About 3.5" long because I like to be able to
pull the heatsink out with unsoldering the emitter. The double
wires are overkill though. it made no difference at this level.
The positive contact spring was stretched to reach the flat top battery, then the coils were bridged with solder.
The tailcap spring has double ground wires.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi All

I dont know if I got some lower VF or if running three of the battery space made the difference. I put a tri SST-90 together and direct driving it in a 3 D maglite with three battery space batteries and I was getting 6.5 amps at the tail with regular leads and the meter and the led was wired with 26 gauge silver coated teflon wire.
I blew the sphere mind when it went over limit at 3000 lumen and it was well above that. I got almost five minutes until I could not hold onto the head. I took it outside and it was a hog. It did have throw but it is hard to tell because it just lit up the whole area, easily 200 yards by 200 yard just like daylight.

I will try to get some pictures. I left the 90's on there stars and used a tri sink. Their stars are very hefty and I am sure they help the leds. I did not have any of the leds shift tint towards blue and they ran close to a full five minutes.

Now if I could find a way to keep the amps up and get some levels, I don't think the D2flex can stand the six amps.

Dave

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi All

I dont know if I got some lower VF or if running three of the battery space made the difference. I put a tri SST-90 together and direct driving it in a 3 D maglite with three battery space batteries and I was getting 6.5 amps at the tail with regular leads and the meter and the led was wired with 26 gauge silver coated teflon wire.
I blew the sphere mind when it went over limit at 3000 lumen and it was well above that. I got almost five minutes until I could not hold onto the head. I took it outside and it was a hog. It did have throw but it is hard to tell because it just lit up the whole area, easily 200 yards by 200 yard just like daylight.

Dave

Awesome! I think your need to change you name to LEDbender. :) Looking forward to some beamshots.:popcorn:

Mettee

Enlightened

George replaced the FET with a 10A one so if you specify that when ordering im sure he would send that version, and you would be ok.