Standard Transmission?

SolarFlare

Enlightened
winny said:
What do you call the point where your clutch just begins to pull (you forward)?

In England most people I know refer to it as "the bite". Most driving instructors will say "wait until you feel the bite" when they are describing how to perform a hill start.

So of course I had to try your link

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris201W,

Of course you can if you are macho, but it won't help you pass your drivers test and the cops won't be too happy about it when you slip and crash into someone. :)

bfg9000,

Of course! Then we would have movie stars for presidents too... :grin2:
But seriously, I get your point. Your average Joe is most often wrong but when it comes to finding if it's spelled "buisness" or "business", googlefight proved an excellent but slow tool before Firefox implemented spellchecking. I have to move to an English speaking country at some point in my life to learn more words. No dictionaries ever have words like that...

SolarFlare,

Thanks! I'll try to remember that one too.
So it's mandatory over at your island too. That's nice.

Chris201W

Enlightened
winny said:
Chris201W,

Of course you can if you are macho, but it won't help you pass your drivers test and the cops won't be too happy about it when you slip and crash into someone. :)
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use that technique on a driver's test or on a hill with a car right behind me. When it really counts, the smart, responsible thing to do is to use the surefire method of engaging the handbrake. The method I suggested was only meant to be something you can mess around with when the consequences of failing are negligible.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Winny,
Just wanted to point out that "grab point" may also be used to mean "hand hold area" and "friction point" is a common physics term so the sheer number of mentions in Google is clearly not well correlated with the specific usage you are looking for.

And when someone is riding my tail on a hill I tend to slip the tires rather than the clutch. Since they were so inconsiderate... let 'em eat gravel! Of course not on the driving exam
rolleye11.gif

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Biker Bear said:
IMO, people should be required to learn to drive a standard to get their license... but that's me.

Thats actually the case here in the Netherlands... You can get your license driving only an automatic, but you'll only be allowed to drive an automatic. But as most cars here are manual anyway, usually the only people who get the 'automatic' license, are those with physical disabilities that don't allow for continuous shifting.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
KingSmono said:
I live in Orlando, and drive in stop-n-go every day of my life on the parking lot known as the 408...

I've driven on 408 - that's not Stop and go traffic - that's a nice mornings drive...

Try midtown Manhattan heading for one of the tunnels, on a bad day - you know, where 200 yards takes 45 minutes. 6 inches at a time. THAT's stop and go traffic - and will drive you NUTS with a standard (heck, makes you nuts with a slush box too)

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, manual is no bother at all, even in the worst NYC traffic. I love manual shift!

Wouldn't mind trying paddles once though. Cool stuff.

Since the initial grab point came up, that's perhaps the biggest factor in how I teach people how to drive stick. I have them use no gas pedal at all, and people tend to learn the essence of good clutch control within a couple minutes. A couple more minutes practicing with the tiniest amount of gas pedal and clutch slip, gets them going in no time.

Last edited:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
MayCooper said:
Thats actually the case here in the Netherlands... You can get your license driving only an automatic, but you'll only be allowed to drive an automatic. But as most cars here are manual anyway, usually the only people who get the 'automatic' license, are those with physical disabilities that don't allow for continuous shifting.

I think that goes for the majority of Europe.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your rigth diesel bomber. I try to drive it like my dad did, which was right off of idle. Unlike my mom who would rev the engine up to 1500-2000rpm before releasing the clutch. He seemed to have it down to a science, where as I seem to stall it dead or just stall it where on a grade it will not move and reclutch it at a higher rpm. I still recall the day my dad drove it up a set of ramps at idle and the engine did not change in speed, he just moved it forward, up the ramps and turned it back off.

Incase anyone is like me, here is what I can do at idle.

1st gear, less than 10mph
2nd geat around 10 mph
3rd gear, 16mph
4th gear 20mph

When I enter a parking lot or the complex where I live, I will upshift to 3rd gear, brake to turn into the drive way and let it idle in 3rd gear. Use brake and clutch to slow down, release clutch to speed up. When leaving, I idle around in 2nd and give it a bit of gas to 15mph and take off in 2nd down the grade out from the complex and go about my way shifting to 3rd and 4th.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your rigth diesel bomber. I try to drive it like my dad did, which was right off of idle. Unlike my mom who would rev the engine up to 1500-2000rpm before releasing the clutch.

Good point. Trying hard as I can, I cannot take off without revving it to 1500-2000 rpms. Not unless I want to take off reasonably fast, as fast as automatic tranny vehicles next to me.

I will try some more. Learning that "bite" point well is important.

He seemed to have it down to a science, where as I seem to stall it dead or just stall it where on a grade it will not move and reclutch it at a higher rpm. I still recall the day my dad drove it up a set of ramps at idle and the engine did not change in speed, he just moved it forward, up the ramps and turned it back off

I wonder something. If this depends on the vehicle.

Anybody care to rate 5 speed transmissions?

My favorite was in a Nissan Maxima. Smooth like glass and short strokes. I almost bought one but didn't want a 6-cyl.

Also OK with BMW manuals, they are hydrolic. I drove 2, one late 80's and the other late 90's and the latter was actually pretty difficult to stall at low speeds, it was sweet shifting tranny.

Honda Civic seemed sweet.

My least favorite is in Toyota Camry. It works, but lacks the smoothness, I think, in the first 2 gears (N-1 and 1-2 shifts).

So, I think with some vehicles, you can go by just letting out the clutch, bmw for instance, while with others, you do need to rev them.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on the engine and gearing. My Mr2 doesn't like to take off at anything less than 2k rpms and LOVES to be launched at 6k rpms. My Cummins-powered Dodge can take off at idle..........in fourth gear.

:buddies:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a total of 4 cars the first 3 were standard tranny's.

My last car I decided on an automatic because I was tired of shifting up and down through stop and go traffic. I live in California.

When I used to Mountain Bike ride a lot it would take me 30 minutes on the freeway to get there. On the way back I would hit traffic and it would take me 45 minutes to go home. When you are tired from doing 25 miles on dirt trails shifting gears start to become a chore. Sometimes my shin would start to cramp up.

So I decided on an automatic transmission on my present car. I also got it fully loaded, power windows, power door locks, sun roof, and cruise control which I like to use on long trips.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Only one of the 4 vehicles I've owned had an automatic transmission, and regrettably, it was the zippiest. I can only imagine how much more fun that car would have been with a stick shift. It had some unusual transmission problems that would have have left me thousand dollars lighter after a trip to the transmission shop had its other problems not caught up with it before it got to that point.

A manual transmission requires that you be more aware of your speed and situation most of the time and seems to keep the driver a bit more connected to the task at hand. I've found only a handful of stop-and-go situations where a manual was frustrating - most of the time it makes my otherwise boring vehicle (a Ranger with a 2.3L 4-banger) that much more tolerable to drive.

I've never had any transmission difficulties with my 5-speed vehicles - and I used to drive the two cars hard with constant power-shifts and revving the engine a bit high at times.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Manual transmission for me, please...

so far, *ALL* of my vehicles have been manuals, i *HATE* sludgeboxes, can't understand how they ever got so popular, slushy, imprecise, boggy pieces of crap, when i get behind the wheel of a vehicle, i want to *DRIVE* it, not just *steer* it...

a few weeks ago, we moved our offices from Dover, NH to Portsmouth, NH, i rented a 26 foot U-Haul, International 1600 chassis, big, honkin' Diesel engine, air brakes, and....

a *MANUAL* transmission, i had a *BLAST* driving that monster around, the diesel put out so much torque that i had to start off in second gear, first was only for ultra-low speed parking lot crawling

good thing i knew how to drive a manual, as the U-Haul place had no sludgebox 26 footers

death to automatics, pathetic, useless transmissions, sadly, here in the States, sludgeboxes outnumber manuals, i guess it's due to the American love of mediocrity (fast food, convenience stores, microsoft, and sludgebox transmissions)

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
MacTech said:
..death to automatics, pathetic, useless transmissions, sadly, here in the States, sludgeboxes outnumber manuals, i guess it's due to the American love of mediocrity (fast food, convenience stores, microsoft, and sludgebox transmissions)...
Whooh...I..uh..appreciate passion in one's beliefs and all that, but maybe you ought to set back, have a beer and take the edge off it a little....:laughing:.

Between my wife and I, we've owned, bought, and/or driven 15 cars, 8 of which have been sticks and 7 autos. They're both OK and can be good values, depending on how much you paid for the car and what else the car did for you (lasted a long time, didn't last a long time, got totaled in a freeway pileup, and so on).

Best auto: 86 Chevy Caprice cop car, 5.7 liter L05 HO V8, just bulletproof. Best stick: 1972 Mazda RX-2 RWD with a Wankel.

blahblahblah

Enlightened
robinhood4x4 said:
You simply cannot match the slowness of dual transfer cases.
j

That's why I run a 23 spline Marlin Dual Ultimate behind a R151f. :rock::rock::rock:

But, for daily driving, I do prefer a strong automatic transmission. My daily driver has an Allison automatic built to take more ft/lbs of torque than I have or know what to do with.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drove a nissan morrano for a few days as a rental car when the center support and driveshaft came out of my benz on the interstate and a yaris with automatic. It was rather strange, however both seemed to shift correctly listening to the engine and load vs petal position. The only down side is, I find I use the gear selection to brake, where as the automatics let you coast when not gassing it. I was unable to find a toyota sedan or hatch back at the local dealer that had a standard tranny.

I may go the automatic route with my next car. The folks tell me they may need to switch cars at some point and would let me have their 4x4 manual tranny suzuki swift with 25 thousand miles on it. Believe its a 96 model.

Sounds like a good trade for a carolla scion xa or something.

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Manual for me,
1. most auto's are anoyingly slow to respond. This second or 2 delay is down right dangerous.
2. Gearing ratios in most auto's are to far apart meaning your engine runs at either to higher or low a rev. Also means small changes in accelerator position result in unwanted gear changes, slow response .... see above. Sure economy this economy that.... better economies are available with more gears

thats my 2c