HD/bluray is obsolete and is being replaced by 4K UHD standard

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the technique I've used in buying TVs in the past, but every 60"+ 4K TV I've seen thus far has no visible pixels even when you're standing so close to it you have to move your head to see the whole screen; I'm not sure downsizing for dpi applies with this many pixels, at least not with any TV you could fit into your house..

Pixels don't have to be visible to make a difference.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That doesn't surprise me as I buy a lot of movies used and the Blu-Ray version of Band of Brothers showed up before the DVD version used and I was looking for the DVD version it was hard to get used while the Blu-Ray was everywhere at that time. As I started buying music CDs and DVD movies My plan was to keep with technology such that I'm able to enjoy what I have. As long as Blu-Ray players can play DVDs and they have at least half of the movies in stores in that format and are cheaper than Blu-Rays then DVDs won't go anywhere. I'm almost thinking that before DVDs vanish we could have both DVD and Blu-Rays get replaced with online streaming or perhaps even memory type chips with movies on them similar to game cartridges. To be honest I wish that they would rethink copyrights and extend that notion to the title of something once you own a title in any format you can upgrade to a better format for a very reasonable fee that doesn't involve similar costs to buying it outright. Too many people have too many titles of movies and music to want to have to rebuy it over and over again.

Long as there's a Goodwill nearby we'll be ok.
Great source for VHS if you still use those.

At some point I'll buy a new blu-ray player and stash it.
I'm not connected to networks other than my cel-phone. When a certain sattelite company advertised "see what your friends are watching" I unplugged from the grid.
Aint nobody business wth I'm watching...and if you can see "what your friends are watching"...who-the-h3ll else is looking at what I'm watching?
Know what I mean?

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
DVDs and CDs are technologically obsolete too, but they continue to exist, because the purposes they serve have not become obsolete.

I wouldn't say CDs are technologically obsolete, as it is the only way to legally own a hard copy of a music title I don't think it is totally legal to download a digital copy and burn it on a disc. You cannot sell or transfer ownership of digital copies of music but you can sell a music CD. In other words once you buy a digital music title you are stuck with it like it or not you can't even give it away. I recall Bruce Willis got upset when he found out that he couldn't "will" his Amazon digital music collection to his family after he died, had he instead bought CDs he would have had no problem at all.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
For myself, I really don't like the new TVs or TV in general. The HD screens are too contrastive for my taste and sometimes make me dizzy as most are not set up correct. I like the soft look of the CRT, kind of like film has that look.

I admit love watching things on my tablets, without that cheap all look alike ugly, wide flat screen in the house. And I can take it anywhere in the house. I don't need stereo sound, and all the gimmicks, not all are but, some are.

We we have a beautiful home and it looks so much nicer with no TV, I guess you can hide them, however we go to other people's nice houses and that TV ruins the looks, and it is always on! Sometimes I just turn it off if it is a party or something. It becomes the centerpiece of the home. TVs are for dens not living rooms.

The day cable TV with 1000 channels that you have no interest in, yet pay for, and you watch just a few, dies, is when I pop open a bottle of champagne. I'm mean really who here watches the knitting channel? If there is one but, I would not bet against It. Not to mention the awful cable news programs. I hope the switch to an internet system will push the poorly produced no talent shows so far back in the sweeps, no one will watch.

Here is what we have a TV for, to crank it up loud to make crooks think we are home and go next door, when we come home it is shut off fourth with. Netflix business model is changing how all this works,and I can watch all the things I like, like old movies. Plus you can watch them several times to catch the details. Without paying for another service for that.

Over the years I have covered over 20 Oscars and Emmy award shows, and most of us who do that, never watch TV, we read the trades, and there are so many stars of these dumb reality shows, none of us even know who they are, the editors deal with that. I am going to retire from this work, as is it very hard on you, however, it is a hell of a lot of fun. Plus the fashion is fantastic!

Maybe that is why at home we do other things. There was a time when TV was great, I will admit that.

It will all be on the internet, no cable, no Sat dishes, and this wil be sooner than you think. Weather the production values are better, don't count on that, but you can take the dish down soon, and clip the cable wire, as things will go wireless. No more searching thru endless shows you must. Go thru to find something, or the satellite list which goes on and on.

Even worse, and I speak for myself, I never liked going to the movie theater, the last movie I went to was Titanic. Although on Oscar night at an after party James Cameron, let me hold his Oscar, that was nice.

Today, there are so many more things to do television is becoming a relic of what it used to be.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
I wouldn't say CDs are technologically obsolete, as it is the only way to legally own a hard copy of a music title I don't think it is totally legal to download a digital copy and burn it on a disc. You cannot sell or transfer ownership of digital copies of music but you can sell a music CD. In other words once you buy a digital music title you are stuck with it like it or not you can't even give it away. I recall Bruce Willis got upset when he found out that he couldn't "will" his Amazon digital music collection to his family after he died, had he instead bought CDs he would have had no problem at all.
They are technologically obsolete. Super Audio CD and DVD can both store hard copies of music. However, CD is good enough and as you pointed out, the purpose they were created for is not obsolete, hence the CD format is still used.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
They are technologically obsolete. Super Audio CD and DVD can both store hard copies of music. However, CD is good enough and as you pointed out, the purpose they were created for is not obsolete, hence the CD format is still used.
I think that CD will only be replaced by some sort of memory chip because for many music shopping is still in the stores even though digital downloads is its main competition and streaming service subscription. When a 1GB chip gets down in cost to about 50 cents we may see them in a sort of memory chip reader that is USB compatible.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
for many music shopping is still in the stores even though digital downloads is its main competition and streaming service subscription.

Online music sales surpassed CD sales in 2014. CD sales peaked in 2000.

I did buy a CD last year; I heard Morrissey's World Peace is None of Your Business on Spotify and enjoyed it immensely, it was definitely my album of the year (alongside Annie Lennox's album of covers) and I played it often. Then one day it disappeared from every online service simultaneously - turns out Mr. Morrissey was not happy with the amount of advertising his record company gave him, so they decided to un-advertise it by eliminating its digital existence. So even today if you search the online services it's nowhere to be found, but the CD is six bucks on Amazon.

Prior to that, the last CDs I bought were in 2006.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Online music sales surpassed CD sales in 2014. CD sales peaked in 2000.

I did buy a CD last year; I heard Morrissey's World Peace is None of Your Business on Spotify and enjoyed it immensely, it was definitely my album of the year (alongside Annie Lennox's album of covers) and I played it often. Then one day it disappeared from every online service simultaneously - turns out Mr. Morrissey was not happy with the amount of advertising his record company gave him, so they decided to un-advertise it by eliminating its digital existence. So even today if you search the online services it's nowhere to be found, but the CD is six bucks on Amazon.

Prior to that, the last CDs I bought were in 2006.
I'm not surprised digital download is more popular as I've come across more and more people who don't have a clue how to rip music and have no desire to do it even if it saves them money doing so they like the convenience of "instant" music and with most having a smart phone or tablet that is actually even harder to get stuff from a CD into it that bodes even worse for hard copies. I think in time it is not the devices (CD and DVD) themselves that go obsolete but that people more and more rely on connecting everything to the internet such that it makes it easier for them to not own anything but have rights to it through accounts and it may be that one day you won't be able to download anything but rather everything will have to be streamed from online so the studios can make more people buy their stuff and nobody can buy or sell their stuff used or inherit them from another. Imagine if there is no more used music or movies out there at all in the world how the price of movies and music will change I predict that if CDs are banished digital download prices will rise slowly as people who buy an album and decide they don't like it cannot sell it used they are stuck with it for life.

MrJino

Enlightened
Yeah I tend to buy my electronics slowly.

Bought my led tv about 5 years ago, they said it wouldn't last 2 years. PFFFT, it has another few years easy.

I did want to buy a 4k tv this year, but what's the point? Not much 4k content, and it'll drop price every month anyways, I'll wait til 4k is more available.

And from what I hear, since I don't know much about resolution anyways, 4k only has more resolution if you're standing in front of it.

If a 4k tv and a 1080p tv were both 60 in but 12 feet away, your eye couldn't tell the difference between the 2.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I'm not surprised digital download is more popular as I've come across more and more people who don't have a clue how to rip music and have no desire to do it even if it saves them money doing so they like the convenience of "instant" music and with most having a smart phone or tablet that is actually even harder to get stuff from a CD into it that bodes even worse for hard copies. I think in time it is not the devices (CD and DVD) themselves that go obsolete but that people more and more rely on connecting everything to the internet such that it makes it easier for them to not own anything but have rights to it through accounts and it may be that one day you won't be able to download anything but rather everything will have to be streamed from online so the studios can make more people buy their stuff and nobody can buy or sell their stuff used or inherit them from another. Imagine if there is no more used music or movies out there at all in the world how the price of movies and music will change I predict that if CDs are banished digital download prices will rise slowly as people who buy an album and decide they don't like it cannot sell it used they are stuck with it for life.
This is why I miss the 80's. Radio and TV was free, with some ads. These guys will want you to pay for you to stream and then overnight--bingo, oh, at first it will be slow, PSA's and such, then they will incert ad,s just like cable TV did, that original cable TV concept was no commercials. You paid for no commercials, then they just popped up. and even when there are no commercials you flip thru and see some fool, like Bill O'Reilly, selling all his books, mugs and junk. I remember as a child in the 60's, thinking TV is free, who would pay for it.

And for someone who never, ever watches team sports, I have a far less need for cable service, in fact, I cut the cable at the house, climbed the pole and got rid of it for good, see our HOA. Provides free cable, and I still don't want it even then. Verizon is better anyway, never had a problem. Cable is an out of date 1960's era system that needs millions of miles cable replaced.

I just use Netflix, they get it, you pay, and are exempt from ads from things you never want.

But at Verizon a or CEO board ruined that too...even Verizon has ad's, on the TV shows the worst from big Pharm.

Netflix will be Good too until they get the MBA who will ruin it, too.

One of my theories is my daughters generation, millennial's, are starting to resist advertising a lot of the time. Some research I read shows even now the <25 year olds are tired of being trying to be sold on something.

What finally got me were the car dealer ads, I counted 95 in prime time, pre recession. That's 95 screaming salesmen trying to sell you a car you don't want, in cheap slacks and a golf shirt, they could at least go Italian and make it just a little better.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
This is why I miss the 80's. Radio and TV was free, with some ads.

Radio and TV are still free; tune around the AM band at night, hear stations from many states away. TV is a lot more difficult since it went digital, but it's there for folks in metro areas.

I also haven't had cable for many years, Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Video is a killer combo, especially at ~$30/mo for all
three.