HD/bluray is obsolete and is being replaced by 4K UHD standard

markr6

Flashaholic
You guys have some seriously awful internet, that's a shame, you're missing out..

Even with my 100mbps downstream, you're still going to get all the "loading/initializing" crap. Obviously I don't have to deal with low quality or buffering issues.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

This summer we had a massive squall line roar thru,, 50K without power
we lost power for about 12 hrs, no big deal.

But my cable/internet lines were also cut & very slow to get restrung :shakehead

Wasn't in the mood to read, so I watched some super rare racing stuff on disk
& caught up on Sarah Connor Chronicles,, which I bought dirt cheap on disk off ebay.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Even with my 100mbps downstream, you're still going to get all the "loading/initializing" crap. Obviously I don't have to deal with low quality or buffering issues.

Depends on the device; the Amazon Fire TV can often load apps almost instantly, though there's still a few seconds of loading when you start a program.

For those with buffering issues, should also mention: Use a device that connects to your router via Ethernet cable. I had a cheap Roku that couldn't get through a program via wifi, but ran seamlessly once tethered.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I've got rock solid 50M/50M service and can't be bothered with streaming because of all the moving parts I mentioned.

Fair 'nuff, but I'm on the other end; I've been watching a movie or two on my phone for the last few weekends, just hit up Amazon, click rent, and enjoy. No physical movement involved unless I stop and pick it up later on some other device or a TV elsewhere. I can't imagine going through the process of trying to find the best price on a disc, then driving or waiting on the mail, hoping the disc didn't fall off the spindle in the package and end up scratched, etc.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

" who forgot the popcorn?!..."

Hangover-Watching-Phone.jpg

lunas

Enlightened
Fair 'nuff, but I'm on the other end; I've been watching a movie or two on my phone for the last few weekends, just hit up Amazon, click rent, and enjoy. No physical movement involved unless I stop and pick it up later on some other device or a TV elsewhere. I can't imagine going through the process of trying to find the best price on a disc, then driving or waiting on the mail, hoping the disc didn't fall off the spindle in the package and end up scratched, etc.
And that is all fine and dandy if your like me and has one of the few isp who still offer true unlimited data can you even imagine. Forgetting speed at this point a verizon fios line with 130 gig of data per month and after that every 1 gig is like 8 bucks so watching 4k movies we will say they are at the low end at 9 gig in size that is 14.5 movies you can watch in 1 month before you hit cap and if you average 2-3 movies per day you hit cap in 4-7 days with no warning you continue to watch 2-3 per day that is 62-93 movies you can watch for 558-837 GIG of data used -130 for 428-707 overage GB 428-707 by 8 is $3,424-5,656 on top of your bill

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
And that is all fine and dandy if your like me and has one of the few isp who still offer true unlimited data can you even imagine

My ISP is not unlimited, but Netflix is unmetered. Many ISPs offer this deal and it is just the way the market is going over here. Video rental stores are closing down with DVD kiosks being the alternative. Sadly I used to like milling about the video shops looking at the covers and snacks and toys, but thems the times.

braddy

Enlightened
At some point in the next 1 to 3 years, I intend to upgrade from my 1999, 13" color TV, I''ll be keeping up with this thread.

Stream

Enlightened
I can't imagine going through the process of trying to find the best price on a disc, then driving or waiting on the mail, hoping the disc didn't fall off the spindle in the package and end up scratched, etc.

I HATE it when that happens! lol These days I mostly only order discs if it's something that I really want to own, like all the Star Trek box sets or my all-time favorite movies, otherwise it's streaming or downloading.

Streaming a movie on Netflix or similar services doesn't take longer to get started than booting up the BluRay player. I have a 50" 1080p plasma tv that I bought about 6 years ago. It still works great, but it's not a smart tv so I just use my PlayStation to access streaming services like Netflix or ViaPlay. It's very rare that I get any interruptions at all, and I connect via WiFi. By the sound of it, many folks over in the US seem to be getting a pretty raw deal when it comes to internet speeds and ISPs with data limits. Over here, data limits are for mobile carriers. I would probably think twice about streaming and downloading if I had to worry about data limits, so I can understand those who still prefer the old fashioned way.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
A lot of people were saying DVD is obsolete when Blu-Ray was finalized over HD-DVD but we still see DVD for sale on the shelves as there is still a use for them in portable devices. The difference in pricing between a 1080P and 4K set is from 50% more to double and up depending on the size such that by the time 4K is as commonplace as Blu-Ray got to be over DVD if you were wanting a large enough size set you could just buy a 1080P set for now and later buy a 4K set the same size and pay the same overall price as a 4K set right now.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
There were few experiences I hated more than 20 minutes in a Blockbuster.

Well it was cool if you were going in for a specific movie and it was there. Otherwise it became a process where you'd not see anything you wanted so you'd lower your standards and then browse all over again, and again, like searching the fridge..

The nice thing about Amazon's rental section is that it's ordered by recent popularity, so it's like a rental store taking all the movies people actually watch and putting them in one section, makes for much more enjoyable browsing.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
There were few experiences I hated more than 20 minutes in a Blockbuster

That was probably because it was a blockbuster, not that they were around over here. I think they came in just as the rental market was declining. The independent ones were great, especially for having dedicated sections for b-grade, foreign and Sci fi. The one I used to go to even had the first remastered hammer horror series on DVD. Quality was nothing to boast about. A 4K version would not have improved much

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Regarding disk popping out of its spindle,,, that happens when some bozo puts a DVD in the bottom of a large'ish box & then puts a 48pack of AA battering in that same box (both left loose)
so they can perfectly smash around with each other in shipping...:fail:

This is a ridiculously consistent issue to one company

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
+

Regarding disk popping out of its spindle,,, that happens when some bozo puts a DVD in the bottom of a large'ish box & then puts a 48pack of AA battering in that same box (both left loose)
so they can perfectly smash around with each other in shipping...:fail:

One type of Amaray case is prone to discs popping out as it has two fingers that come together to hold the disc and one can squeeze the case hard enough to unlatch the disc. The cases I prefer are Viva Elites which require you to push your finger tip in the middle of the case and lift the disc past the hub to release it. There is probably over a dozen varieties of hubs on dvd cases but of the movies sold by major studios only about 3-4 varieties of hubs the rest are cheap cases that vary from pretty good to very crummy.

Well it was cool if you were going in for a specific movie and it was there. Otherwise it became a process where you'd not see anything you wanted so you'd lower your standards and then browse all over again, and again, like searching the fridge..

Shameless plug removed.
:laughing:

Yes, it was cool! I can still remember getting the endorphin rush from finding the new release I wanted. :party:

What made it even better was when you'd turn around and see the disappointment on some guy's face as he realized you'd just scored the last copy. :devil: Still, you'd give him a nod because you remember what it feels like to be in his place.

Alas, all too soon the rush was gone ......... as you took your place in line ......... behind 16 other losers. Standing there, ........ forever, ........ forced to listen to people trying to decide on which pop and candy to procure. ........... All the while ignoring their screaming and/or crying spawn.

Finally! It's your turn to deal with the automaton at the check out station. I'm pretty sure one of their job requirements was they actually had to hate working at Blockbuster.

Job interview
Boss: Why do you want to work at BB?

Loser: I don't. I hate BB. I just have to find a J O B.

Boss: You're hired.

Even the employees that didn't hate BB from the start, soon did. How could anyone not grow to hate working at BB. It was like Walmart, but with only two check-out lines.

One last insult before leaving, after you've walked through the TSA scanner we'll give you your movies.

Yes, just like searching the fridge. A 3,000sqf fridge.

Did we ever come up with a single word that describes a person that enjoys a business going Out Of Business due to their lack of customer service? I love Netflix and Red Box.

~ Chance

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Amazon's policy is "shake the case" - anyone in the warehouse/shipping process handling a DVD must shake the case; if you can hear the disc is off the spindle, it's automatically counted as damaged and returned to the vendor. A loose DVD doesn't even make it to inventory.

Packing follows a similar rule with packaging; a completed package is shaken to hear if anything shifts or moves in the box, it should be immovably solid. Someone checking packages down the line will actually return a loose box to a packer to pack it again.

Anything can always be returned for any reason, you don't have to provide one.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

The reason I want to see 4K media entering marketplace is for Blu-Ray disk prices to go way down,, not about to buy all the whole 4K line of stuff.

I like the spontaneity of popping in a movie, no downloading, no logging on, and the assumption everything is going to work perfectly w/ no bottlenecks in any way.
Lots of moving parts I'm not interested in xxxg with.

StarHalo, I see your point, I do,,, just not my cup of tea

I haven't used a physical bought DVD in a long time, but my biggest complaint I realized watching them is on a dvd player they often have forced ads ON THE DVD OR MEDIUM that you can't skip on a normal living room player. I don't know if that's changed recently, but holy hell... I totally understand bootlegging when you in essence have a better experience watching a digital copy than a physical copy. If somebody buys the product don't bombard them with non-skippable ads and warnings of "copyright infringement on the disc that is 100% LEGITIMATE! lol.