Streamlight Keymate

paulr

Flashaholic
Hmm, interesting. I've heard before that those ISP leds are way less efficient than Nichias, like 50% or so. I've been wondering if they're the "snow" leds that Peak is using, and if so, why they don't run them at higher current.

You can get 1/3N lithium cells singly in camera stores, though maybe it gets pretty expensive. All in all I'd still rather have a 1AAA light with a boost converter.

Oh, I remember seeing a Luxeon mod for the Keymate using (I think) an N cell. That's something else entirely, and was quite wonderful. But the stock Keymate or even the L544/ISP modded version doesn't excite me that much.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Hmm, interesting. I've heard before that those ISP leds are way less efficient than Nichias, like 50% or so.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you actually had any real, personal experience in using or measuring the LEDs i mentioned, -or are you just going by what you've heard?

I've had lots of personal use and real experience with this newer line (both 5 and 8mm) and do see some impressive performance increases. They do not show anything at all like a 50% efficiency loss, or it would show up in the amp draw as well as the actual output on the lightmeters I use. I would estimate their efficiency is more 25% less.

The Arc was a fine light in it's time, but to me, there are a lot of more interesting lights out there now.

BTW-I just received a Peak 3X5mm "snow-white high power" (1-AAA), and I like it a lot better my old Arc AAA.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm going by Gransee's measurements on the ISP leds a while back. I don't have instruments for doing my own measurements. Have you done any total-output measurements, preferably with some kind of integrating lightmeter but a ceiling bounce eyeball test is better than nothing? Hot spot meter measurements don't count since the radiation pattern may be different from the Nichia.

The main concern I have about the Peak 3x5mm is the narrow beam--I wonder if it's feasible to machine down the front of the head to unblock it. I'm also not that crazy about Peak's two-piece body design but they apparently will be offering the Arc-style lug design which I like better.

If the ISP led is really anywhere near as efficient as the Nichia, it's crazy that Peak or someone else doesn't put it in a 1aaa light running at the full 100 mA.

I agree that there's lots of interesting lights out there now, and that surpassing the Arc AAA is eminently doable even if nobody yet is really getting everything right. However, button cells just don't seem like that promising an approach toward beating the Arc.

I think I might order the Peak "Annameria Dallasandra" lug-body 1aaa 1-led light mentioned above. That sounds like about as close as it comes to an Arc AAA clone, and it uses the "snow" led. Maybe they'll also offer it with the 3-led head sometime. They no longer sell the heads separately through their normal ordering process.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr-the aforementioned I.S.P. LEDs are definitly not the same as the earlier ones that Peter Gransee had access to.

Funny you should mention that Peak! -I actually have the 3LEDx(5mm) Peak head right in front of me right now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I ordered it as a prototype-and it's the lug (1 piece model), that's only 5mm longer than my Arc-LE. Waay better performer than the Arc though.

BTW-I measure actual Lux (and footcandle) readings (like CharlieBulk) with the meterman LM631 and my version of Quickbeam's lightbox. (For total light output.
Yup-even for little lights like this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
So what measurements do you get--lightbox and battery current, for the Arc and the Peak?

I don't see a 3-led lug model on Peak's site now--did you have to special order it? I'm still not sure if I want the 1-led or the 3-led. I can live with lower output.

Flashlike

Enlightened
Where on earth did you find the L544s for $1.99 each??
That is a super low price!!
Also, how difficult of a job was it to change the LED, and where can I obtain the brighter LED at?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 544s were on a closeout/markdown rack at Savon/Osco drugs. They have dates stamped 2008, and I guess the manager said... -get rid of 'em...

The getting of I.S.P. LEDS is problematic because of quantity ordering requirements.
I would suggest you contact CPFer -djp- and maybe he can help get you a few to experiment with.

The installation of any 5mm LED is easy in the Keymate if you carefully remove the center black plastic LED module -to remove the stock LED. If you can replace the LED in a Photon, then you can do this one.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you remove the reflector and LED holder? I just gave mine a try and it won't budge - I don't want to break it.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kitelights said:
How do you remove the reflector and LED holder? I just gave mine a try and it won't budge - I don't want to break it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ken-just replied to your email.

For others, Don't worry about removing the reflector on most of the Keymates. There is a black plastic LED module that (with a little gentle wiggling back and forth) will loosen it and let it slide back out of the reflector. Once you get that out, the rest of the swap is intuitive.

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened
I got my Keymate from Bright Guy for free. It was a promotional deal where if I spent so many bucks I'd get the Keymate free. Its a cool light which I rarely use. A while ago I bought a bunch of LR44 cells for it from Bright Guy for cheap - I fergot what price, think it was 2 bucks a card of 4.
pixel.gif

<font color="blue">--Ðøug
rolleyes3.gif
</font> 2005.1.4.23.52.54 PT

Krit

Enlightened
My keymate is very bright too. I clip on my bag and It's very useful for narrow dark area.

Latest posts