Streamlight Survivor LED

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Streamlight SUrvivor LED rocks! I got it a while back and it's one of my favorite lights.

I even started a thread on easier to handle LED flashlights (formfactors w/ cr123a batteries) with throws that start to approximate the throw of the streamlight.

It's not that easy to do, actually, get a smaller formfactor flashlight with this strong throw. The lumapower D-mini, and M1, with the new cree LED's seem to favor throw. And they have a small formfactor.

If you were attracted to the 90 degree angle of the survivor, there was one neat looking Pentagon Lights light that was similar shown in the 2007 SHOT show that just concluded; but we don't have any specs or info on it yet.

There are many threads on this topic, including several over at the manufacturer's corner; just today (or yesterday) there was a new review of the M1. Check these out first.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it has strong safety ratings, like many of the streamlight line.

it is designed for firefighters, after all!

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight's web site says UL listing is applied for. I know the first ones are not marked approved for explosive atmospheres.

Functionally there is probably no issue. But if you have to have something appropriately marked, you can't use it.

I'm waiting for the mark, or I'd have one right now.

Scott

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
UL rating has not been approved for Division I, Division II per Streamlight website; they have applied. Sometimes website does not catch up to real world for awhile. UL ratings may have been approved by now.

Bill

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always been a bright incan guy. Spent Hundreds of dollars (at least) on 123 batts. Leds have always been a dissapointment to me.

Then I bought a Sl Survivor. I will be posting beamshots I hope tonight...I honestly believe it puts out more light at 50+ yards than my Sl tl3. This thing is great. I have the nicad batt pack and I do not believe there is a great difference over AA batteries in the light.

My advice is to get one. As a former incan guy...I can only say it changed my expectations about leds and the outdoors. I can't wait to see what comes out next!

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
check out the streamlight catalog:
http://www.safety-lux.nl/streamlight_Cat.pdf
page 27 (as the pdf file marks the pages)
shows UL listing, two types, Div I and Div II.
this is from 2005, may be that the LED version has to go through a separate process. But why would the LED be more dangerous/vulnerable than an incan? Cannot be. At most it's a bureaucratic issue that will be resolved soon.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
dsc03069smallbb0.jpg

More impressions of the Streamlight Survivor, https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/135169&highlight=streamlight+survivor

Gnufsh

Enlightened
flashy bazook said:
check out the streamlight catalog:
http://www.safety-lux.nl/streamlight_Cat.pdf
page 27 (as the pdf file marks the pages)
shows UL listing, two types, Div I and Div II.
this is from 2005, may be that the LED version has to go through a separate process. But why would the LED be more dangerous/vulnerable than an incan? Cannot be. At most it's a bureaucratic issue that will be resolved soon.
It contains new circuitry that needs to be tested to get approval. I think the latest ones may be shipping with the proper makings now.