Surefire’s 2009 New Lights Discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stage Tech

Newly Enlightened
What is this rumor / true about a Saint Minimus ? who saw this and where ? live or catalog ?
Any news and pics would be welcome....
Thanks

planex

Newly Enlightened
The LX2 has substituted a TIR for the micro-texture reflector. Is this going to do away with the L2's floodlight characteristic?

I was wondering the same thing. If the past is any indication, then the TIR will be more throw than flood. If that is the case, then I think I will stick to the A2L: low flood, and uses a reflector on high so should have decent spill.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! thanks for posting the catalog! I can admire that new A2 GREEN LED.

Moka

Enlightened
I'm thinking that A2L may just have to find its way into my collection... Maybe by the time its released I'll have saved up enough to afford it =P :laughing:

Tim B

Newly Enlightened
Speaking of putting away a dime a day, here's a suggestion for you married guys. Save all of your change. I mean the coins you get as change when you buy gas, coffee, food, etc. Roll it up in paper wrappers and cash it in at the bank. I have used this method with two different wives (not at the same time of course) and it worked with both. They don't mind me doing it this way. It doesn't take long to save up a lot and they don't see it as suddenly spending a lot out of the checking acct. Perception is the greater part of reality.

DLaird8201

Newly Enlightened
I don't really like the new clips. I'm hard on my lights (L1 and L2) and have had to replace the clips a few times. But the new ones just look to flimsy. I would like to see an LX1 that floods like an L2 and has the throw of an L1 on high. :rock:

litetube

Enlightened
except if you use a card to get gas/food and can't afford to buy coffee every morning at Dunkies.
Better off going to the mall and jumping into the wishing fountain and getting up as much as you can before mall security gets to you. Those 2 wheel gizmos they ride on are fast on the straights but dont corner very well . Not too hard to evade them and get lost in the crowd. Once the heat dies down return and repeat step one as needed. You should have enough to get a new SF and/or bail yourself out of jail in a very short time

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
except if you use a card to get gas/food and can't afford to buy coffee every morning at Dunkies.
Better off going to the mall and jumping into the wishing fountain and getting up as much as you can before mall security gets to you. Those 2 wheel gizmos they ride on are fast on the straights but dont corner very well . Not too hard to evade them and get lost in the crowd. Once the heat dies down return and repeat step one as needed. You should have enough to get a new SF and/or bail yourself out of jail in a very short time
Sounds about right to me.

Personally I can't wait to see the Red A2L. Is it going to be available in both Black and Olive or just one or the other?

Moka

Enlightened

LOL or send a child to do it... they're hands can often reach through the grills they put in place :crackup:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds about right to me.

Personally I can't wait to see the Red A2L. Is it going to be available in both Black and Olive or just one or the other?
Is it going to be available in both Black and Olive or just one or the other?

A2L Aviator = Natural HA
AZ2 Combat Light = Black HA

They are very similar lights with basically the same functions and U.I, except the AZ2 has a higher low mode. 10 lumens VS 25 lumens on low. They are equally bright on high, though.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I emailed opticshq about availability of these lights and they said the reply they got was April/May/June and they didn't even sound too sure about that. Ugh. I do, however think that the LX1 and LX2 will be out sooner than later since they dont seem to be that complicated.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feedback from operational users, especially in the Military gives clear messages that runtime and low-weight are more important than increased output.
Feedback from Law Enforcement and other groups using light in CQB / indoors environments state that too much light is an issue and that the ballpark for too much light is 'when it gets far greater than 100-150 lumens' depending on the beam and conditions etc.

Where the higher output is needed is for longer range applications. SureFire need to be comfortable setting and rating the likes of the M3L and TurboHead at 350 or 400 lumens or whatever - remember users want runtime. Also consider that it's a SureFire lumen rating, and they are using a TIR optic in the TurboHead so it's likely that such a beam will appear higher output compared to other products CPF members may be comparing it to.

I have been so happy with my E2DL that I was a little disapointed the new A2L, LX2, only have 120 lumens. I already have a 120 lumens optics light and was hoping for something with at least 20-30% more output. I never gave a thought about the fact that SureFires intended market may very well be happy with the output and wanted / needed updates and improvements in other areas. Thanks for this commentary Al, again it gave me something else to think about. Still I would have like to have seen a little more power from the LX1 and the LX2. I love the SureFire optics lights, have used them extensively outdoors, and in my opinion they are superior to reflector lights of comparable size and output.

Bill

Last edited:

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good stuff Size 15. So low weight and runtime for outside; and 100 to 150 lumens for inside. How about lumens outside? Does SF mentions anything about that? I pretty much have my lights along this lines, so I am courious as what lumens are practical outside from the feedback SF gets.

outersquare

Enlightened
Well I emailed opticshq about availability of these lights and they said the reply they got was April/May/June and they didn't even sound too sure about that. Ugh. I do, however think that the LX1 and LX2 will be out sooner than later since they dont seem to be that complicated.

lol seriously hope no one is holding their breath

Moka

Enlightened
I can't stop laughing:crackup::crackup::crackup: good one:thumbsup:

I have that effect :cool: LOL

I've been saving schrapnel for ages, its what got me my first flashlight and what put me over the $300 (Thats AU dollars) mark for my last flashlight the Clicky... So I'll definitely be doing it for my next one as well...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.