Surefire A2 Aviator Fan checking in

brianbridgeman

Newly Enlightened
I've never used mine. Looking for a led drop in so I can start using it.
9cb39b42d9388f28863a6b3cce047aa5.jpg

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

thermal guy

Flashaholic
An LED for your main beam? Lumens factory has one but then you don't really have an A2 anymore. The incandescent is really what made it stand out

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Can't say I fully understand the desire to take the one and only mass production light in existence that incorporates regulation and soft starting technology, which results in a beautifully white 100CRI beam, and bulbs that have extraordinary lifespans, and go on to replace it with an LED drop-in. when we live in a world of thousands of different models of LED lights to choose from. Any uniqueness the A2 has disappears once that LED drops in.

brianbridgeman

Newly Enlightened
I guess your right. I just feel like the machining is beautiful and the materials are top notch so I'd like to give it a little more use. I have a baton pro that does all the camping stuff but it just doesn't have the feel in your hand the a2 does.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't say I fully understand the desire to take the one and only mass production light in existence that incorporates regulation and soft starting technology, which results in a beautifully white 100CRI beam, and bulbs that have extraordinary lifespans, and go on to replace it with an LED drop-in. when we live in a world of thousands of different models of LED lights to choose from. Any uniqueness the A2 has disappears once that LED drops in.

I agree with this. Not 100% on the incan bulb though and you know why. We'll get there at some point DOR ;) (thread subplot)

I found a NIB A2-Yellow Green a few weeks ago. That might add some mystery to this. I haven't even seen one in forever. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong on your point so I plan on doing this subjectively. Recently I found out I was wrong about a certain fact on the Surefire M4 and I'll be posting about that as well. Some people will be surprised about what I found.

Last edited:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Ampdude, I found these beamshots that you might find interesting.

A2 with MA02 https://superfonarik.ru/beamshots4/p1-Surefire-Aviator-Xenon-(MA02).jpg
A2 with LF HO-A2 https://superfonarik.ru/beamshots4/p1-Surefire-Aviator-Xenon-(HO-A2).jpg
E2E with MN03 https://superfonarik.ru/beamshots4/p1-Surefire-E2E-(MN03).jpg
G2 with P60 https://superfonarik.ru/beamshots4/p1-Surefire-G2-(P60).jpg
G2 with P91https://superfonarik.ru/beamshots4/p1-Surefire-G2-(P91).jpg

These are a good tool for doing a comparison.

Bulb temp and CCT aside, I'm glad we agree that the A2 is better off without an LED dropin. Bulbs are still plentiful.

Lumen83

Enlightened
I have a few YG, always thought the GN were the rarest.

I have the Green and really like it. Compliments my red, blue, white Kroma very well. I also have the white A2 and have thought about trading it or selling it for a while. I just can't get used to the blue tint and have been holding out for the koala rings so long now to hopefully swap it with red.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just scored a square-side a2 with red leds. Are there any replacement led rings out there still? Would like to run some warm white 5mm leds... How would that affect the collect ability of the light?

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
See this thread. Unfortunately, all out of production and very hard to find. There are rumors of another koala run.

I bought a mint A2 with intentions of a similar LED ring upgrade and adding a Tad Custom bi-pin adapter. Neither are available.

So I sold the A2, ending my foray into the incan world. :shrug:

Hope you have better luck or more patience.

Last edited:

Xander Bolanos

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys long time fan and Lurker of the thread👀
I've been following google links to CPF for over 10 years🤓
I have had a variety of Streamlight, Maglite, and Surefire Torch's over the years.
All of them have come and gone except for my Surefire A2🥰
I even heavily upgraded and milled a 6P Defender, I carried that for years but never loved it like my A2.

The A2 function, design, revolutionary digital circuitry, and continuous steady powered incandescent bulb combined with low power LED's, has made it my favorite Flashlight/Torch for EDC.
Its not the brightest Torch out there, or the flashiest, but its never let me down.
I genuinely like the incandescent bulb design and have 0 interest in swapping the main bulb with a LF LED conversion.
Thats why while doing my research I have found I am not trying to change my A2 to be something else. I just want it to be the best version of itself.
That being said I know there are some rare mods that make the A2 a better version of itself.
I know I'm several years late to the party🥳👻🥳👻🥳👻
But Dear God I would love to find the below listed mod products in order from top to bottom. Yes I know the rarity(notice the Unicorn), and the time that has passed since they stopped being offered for sale from the original maker. But they say hope springs eternal😇.

Last edited:

325addict

Enlightened
Indeed, it's a rare beast, that original A2. Normally, we have got used to regulated LEDs, but.... regulated INCANS?? And that's what I really like about it. The stock LEDs are horrible indeed, that's why I changed them to warm white 5mm LEDs, these have nearly the same light color as the incan bulb. Now, I TRULY have a low and high with the same light.

I use it for the purpose it was intended for: pre-flight inspection of an aeroplane... every single time, everything just HAS to be checked before you even start the engine and taxi to the runway. That included all kinds of joints and hinges under the wings... where you can't see accurately without the help of a flashlight. Then, the A2 Aviator comes and shines!

The greatest incandescent flashlight ever conceived. A masterpiece of technological innovation. A thing of beauty and wonder. A flashlight so unique that no other exists like it.

As you can tell by my opening statement, I am a HUGE A2 Aviator fan. Maybe huge is an understatement. Either you get this flashlight, or you don't. I was enlightened to the miracle and wonder that the A2 is many moons ago. And there has yet to be a time when this little light has not put a smile on my face.

Despite LED technology advancing everyday, lumens getting brighter and brighter, into the thousands of lumens, nothing is as beautiful to me as the wonderful white, digitally regulated beam that the A2's little filament produces. I've seen the best hotwire beams there are, yet none brings me the joy that little "50 lumen" beam produces. And nothing matches the perfection and simplicity of its UI, the Surefire 2 Stage tailcap.

Surefire has attempted to make 2 successors to the Aviator, and in my humble opinion, neither has come close to matching the original A2. It's uniqueness and legacy is unsurpassed, and will stay that way.

If I was forced to give up every single flashlight I had, but only keep one, I would keep my A2. Long live the A2 Aviator, the greatest incandescent flashlight ever!

Xander Bolanos

Newly Enlightened
So at the risk of being hated.
I found one🤓
Aviatrix LED Ring 2 White/1 Red multimode
Fivemega Bi-pin adapter Strion bulb
Housed in a 4 flats A2 with only minutes of use.
So my hours of reading random online posts from pre 2010 has yielded me a Aviatrix owner kind enough, to make shattering my shoulder in July, having surgery, titanium replacements with 9 months of Physical Therapy worth it🙈🔥🙈🔥👏👏👏👏

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, we don't do pricing or appraisal here in the discussion forums, as you've guessed.

Congrats on your find, and in just days !

The 4-flats A2 are an earlier generation, and considered more collectible, although their switches and bulb fitment may be slightly less reliable than the later models.

Last edited:

Xander Bolanos

Newly Enlightened
I edited my post to follow rules👍
I know I got real lucky but I own a Team Associated RC8.2 Buggy, do you know how hard it is to find parts for a discontinued RC Buggy👻
I am simply a case of randomly reaching out to people till I found someone who could help. Persistence and dumb luck does sometimes pay off.

Is there anywhere I can post my previous questions and be within the rules?

Last edited: