surefire E2D LED Defender vrs Olight M20 Warrior PREMIUM

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should have real readings posted by 07:00 Monday morning if all goes well.

All Lux vs. lumens confusions should be clarified then...

No more 120lms>225lms threads! :twothumbs Can't wait for this.

Edit: Betting is wrong but hope you win.

Last edited:

N/Apower

Enlightened
All Lux vs. lumens confusions should be clarified then...

No more 120lms>225lms threads! :twothumbs Can't wait for this.

Edit: Betting is wrong but hope you win.

Betting is only wrong if you can't afford to lose.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now wait a minute..

I thought the KX2C was basically a non strike bezel, single mode E2DL.

It's 120 lumens and TIR.

Is it different.. simple yes or no, I don't want to side track the thread but it was stated in another thread it was the same. Why would y'all want to wait on this new head?

N/Apower

Enlightened
Now wait a minute..

I thought the KX2C was basically a non strike bezel, single mode E2DL.

It's 120 lumens and TIR.

Is it different.. simple yes or no, I don't want to side track the thread but it was stated in another thread it was the same. Why would y'all want to wait on this new head?

Your head is single-stage with less aggressive crenulations (sp*). That is the only diff. It has the same LED, same lense, same run-time as the E2DL on high. That is my interest in this thread is I have an M600 with a KX2C as well on my AR.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize my lightmeter doesn't give me 100% results using my bounce technique. It just seems that my E2DL is really bright for some reason. I fully understand how beam patterns affect how bright the light looks, but thats why I am here stating that my Surefire seems to be a freak. It's overall output is right on par with my other 200+ lumen lights.

I also know not every same model of light is made equal, and I'm willing to bet that I happened to get a good sample. I look forward to your readings, I know for sure that it is under-rated!

N/Apower

Enlightened
I realize my lightmeter doesn't give me 100% results using my bounce technique. It just seems that my E2DL is really bright for some reason. I fully understand how beam patterns affect how bright the light looks, but thats why I am here stating that my Surefire seems to be a freak. It's overall output is right on par with my other 200+ lumen lights.

I also know not every same model of light is made equal, and I'm willing to bet that I happened to get a good sample. I look forward to your readings, I know for sure that it is under-rated!

I have it on good authority that it is around 160-185 lumens. I am only awaiting the confirmation of my offer/bet/see what G has to put up, which expires at 0300hrs CST.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your head is single-stage with less aggressive crenulations (sp*). That is the only diff. It has the same LED, same lense, same run-time as the E2DL on high. That is my interest in this thread is I have an M600 with a KX2C as well on my AR.

10-4 on that. I was confused for a minute and didn't know why.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Some side-by-side comparison pics of the Surefire E2DL and Olight M20 Warrior Premium:

P1040732.jpg

P1040733.jpg

P1040734.jpg

P1040736.jpg

P1040737.jpg

P1040738.jpg

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you have an ammeter that is any good measure how much current your E2DL unit draws in high mode from 2 fresh primary batteries. Mine draws 0.80 amps and its main beam is brighter than the hot spot of my 266 lumens EagleTac T10C2 but that doesn't mean its more lumens.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has been disputed so many times its ridiculous. You cannot measure lumens or accurately estimate lumens off of a ceiling bounce test for different type of beam pattern lights. There is a reason that Integration Sphere systems cost $10K and need calibration to take accurate lumens measurements.

Your E2DL has a tight well focused beam, that doesn't make it 200 lumens because the hot spot looks brighter than known 200 plus lumens lights.

Nobody is saying that the E2DL is brighter than 120 lumens simply because it is tightly focused. That is a straw man argument.

I've done the ceiling bounce test with variable-focus lights, and the hotspot intensity is IRRELEVANT to how well the diffuse reflected light illuminates the room. That's the whole point of bouncing the beam off a diffuse white surface.

MarshallManiac

Newly Enlightened

I guess that I have a "good one" as well because my E2DL is brighter than both of my M60's ! :huh:

N/Apower

Enlightened
If you have an ammeter that is any good measure how much current your E2DL unit draws in high mode from 2 fresh primary batteries. Mine draws 0.80 amps and its main beam is brighter than the hot spot of my 266 lumens EagleTac T10C2 but that doesn't mean its more lumens.

Lets look at the facts.

E2DL/KX2C:

.80A draw
1.5 hour run-time
Cree XR-E binned LED
Very high-quality/efficiency optics (TIR).
Lumens:"Unverified" (for now)

Malkoff M60:

.86A draw
Minimum 90 minute run-time
Cree Q5 LED
Cree Optics
Lumens: Verified 220-240L

Now, why would you presume that the Surefire is only 1/2 as bright given those facts? Do you think that the XR-E powered in the Surefire light is managed 100% less effectively than the one in the Malkoff. I think the IS results will be suprising to some.

I am more than happy with a gentelman's wager and the right to say "TOLD YA!" going to whoever is correct :twothumbs

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nobody is saying that the E2DL is brighter than 120 lumens simply because it is tightly focused. That is a straw man argument.

I've done the ceiling bounce test with variable-focus lights, and the hotspot intensity is IRRELEVANT to how well the diffuse reflected light illuminates the room. That's the whole point of bouncing the beam off a diffuse white surface.

Well I guess I will be the first to know in the morning if there is any straw in the man. In the meantime would still like to know the current draw from this high power E2DL that is freakishly brighter than normal. G

N/Apower

Enlightened
Well I guess I will be the first to know in the morning if there is any straw in the man. In the meantime would still like to know the current draw from this high power E2DL that is freakishly brighter than normal. G

I think that the beam-pattern makes it look brighter than it really is, but the IS numbers Mr.Gman gets are going to suprise him. At least I hope they do, we just E-shook on a 1-dozen Surefire CR123A wager :)

Last edited:

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Getting back to the original topic, here are a few more photos.

Disclaimer: My camera is a basic point-and-shoot type with no way to lock settings so all of these are taken with the camera going ahead and automatically selecting aperture, shutter speed, white balance, etc. This is one sample of an Olight M20 Warrior Premium R2 and one sample of a Surefire E2D LED Defender so these beamshots are not necessarily be representative of the performance of other M20s and E2DLs.

P1040742.jpg

P1040743.jpg

P1040744.jpg

P1040745.jpg

P1040746.jpg

P1040747.jpg

P1040748.jpg

P1040749.jpg

P1040750.jpg

P1040751.jpg

P1040752.jpg

P1040753.jpg

N/Apower

Enlightened
Getting back to the original topic, here are a few more photos.

Disclaimer: My camera is a basic point-and-shoot type with no way to lock settings so all of these are taken with the camera going ahead and automatically selecting aperture, shutter speed, white balance, etc. This is one sample of an Olight M20 Warrior Premium R2 and one sample of a Surefire E2D LED Defender so these beamshots are not necessarily be representative of the performance of other M20s and E2DLs.

P1040742.jpg

P1040743.jpg

P1040744.jpg

P1040745.jpg

P1040746.jpg

P1040747.jpg

P1040748.jpg

P1040749.jpg

P1040750.jpg

P1040751.jpg

P1040752.jpg

P1040753.jpg

AWESOME! Is there any way we can get an out-door comparison at 100' or something?

Forgoten214

Enlightened
Does anyone pocket carry the E2DL? Do they have problems with the bezel creating holes or damaging products in there pockets?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone pocket carry the E2DL? Do they have problems with the bezel creating holes or damaging products in there pockets?

Do a quick search. There was a pretty big thread about this a couple of weeks ago.

I think the general idea was it isn't going to tear a hole.

I personally don't see how, they aren't exactly sharp.

jac2001

Newly Enlightened

I carry mine daily, usually in the lower right hand pocket of my jeans, for backup to my SF C2 /Malkoff M60 for EDC. But the crenalations do not cause issue for me or my clothing. Not even before I got the Malkoff when I carried it in the left front.