SureFire EB1 Backup 200 Lumen Flashlight

Kif

Enlightened
I recently get another EB1 and it is a EB1C-A-SL (clicky tail cap with shroud)
I think it is the earlier version. I can use this EB1C head on MDC body and still keep the high-low two levels with no problem
Same, the MDC 3-levels head works great with EB1C body/clicky tail cap

I guess the electrical components on EB1C & EB1T heads are kind of different

IsaacL

Enlightened
I was under the impression that

EB2 uses OSRAM Oslon Square
E2D uses OSRAM Oslon Square
EB1 used XP-E then [???]
E1D uses XP-G2

Thread bump.
With the newer XPG2 units,do we expect better runtime? Or are they supposed to have flatter regulation?

Last edited:

IsaacL

Enlightened
Thanks. Do you know why SF didn't use the Oslon Square on the single cell lights? Cost perhaps?

The Oslon Square can be driven at 1.8A and that's just the recommended current. It's pretty efficient too, if I'm not mistaken.

I truly loved the beam and slightly greenish tint *gasp* of my EB2.

Also wanted to say that your reviews are invaluable. Some of the best stuff out there on SF lights.

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt you'll ever get an official answer, but cost is unlikely. The E1DL's beam is similar to the EB2 and slightly cleaner (there are some artifacts in the EB2's beam, likely from the Oslon Square's bond wires).

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Do you know why SF didn't use the Oslon Square on the single cell lights? Cost perhaps?

The Oslon Square can be driven at 1.8A and that's just the recommended level. It's pretty efficient too, if I'm not mistaken.

I truly loved the beam and slightly greenish tint *gasp* of my EB2.

Also wanted to say that your reviews are invaluable. Some of the best stuff out there on SF lights.

Does this mean if we transplant an Osram Oslon Square into an EB1, we get even better performance? I mean it can easily put out 500 lumens,so it shouldn't take a lot to drive it for250 or so lumens, right?
I mean runtime and regulation wise.

IsaacL

Enlightened
I went back and read through this thread and others. Took a little while but I found some speculation that there might be an OSRAM in the new version of the EB1.

If someone has a new EB1 and would post some shots of the emitter, that would be great. Even better, send one to Robin24k for confirmation :)

I just wish the EB1 could hit 300 lumens like the E1DL...that and use a more efficient emitter. I would pick one up in a heartbeat.

IsaacL, please no more BOLD font unless used occasionally for emphasis. Thanks,

Bill

Yes sir.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The latest EB1 appears to use the same emitter as the first generation versions. I posted a crummy photo over in the EB1 Review thread but it at least shows the relative sizes of the emitters.

However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if SureFire switches the EB1 over to the same setup as the E1DL. It's unlike them to have such similar packages with completely different LEDs and/or drivers. But who knows? :shrug:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe marketing got ahead...200 lumens / 6,400 candela = 500 lumens / 16,000 candela, suggesting that the EB1 should/would use the same LED as the EB2.

IsaacL

Enlightened
Ahhh, I see what you guys are saying now. It guess we'll just have to wait and see whether a new version materializes.

And yes, the disparity between the EB1 and E1DL is a bit depressing. I mean...we know that the current optics work with OSRAM and XP-G2 emitters.

I don't give two hoots about maximum throw, but I would like more efficiency.

The latest EB1 appears to use the same emitter as the first generation versions. I posted a crummy photo over in the EB1 Review thread but it at least shows the relative sizes of the emitters.

However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if SureFire switches the EB1 over to the same setup as the E1DL. It's unlike them to have such similar packages with completely different LEDs and/or drivers. But who knows? :shrug:

Maybe marketing got ahead...200 lumens / 6,400 candela = 500 lumens / 16,000 candela, suggesting that the EB1 should/would use the same LED as the EB2.

vernSL

Newly Enlightened
I was just looking at purchasing a second EB1 in silver, but now I'm debating whether to wait to see if a new version is released soon.

Lodogg2221

Newly Enlightened
I was all set to buy one too, in tactical flavor, but now Im not sure. I want an older one if I get one, with the smaller hotspot....or do I? LOL!

Id get the E1D, but not a fan of the teeth on the head of that small a light. It looks pretty good, but carry would be something else Id think....my E1B used to get sort of tangled up in my pocket, but if it had teeth, it would have left marks. No such trouble with my LX2, and hopefully not with the just ordered E2D Ultra.

Anyway, I like the single cell light idea, and the flatter regulation (as it appears to have anyway) of the E1D looks great, as does the lower low, but Im still on the fence. Had it not come out, Id have a EB1 in tan, which is what I almost ordered last night. Oh well. Guess Ill wait and see whats next.

tongkang

Newly Enlightened
Both of my gen1 EB1 and EB1T still throw like a champ with cr123batt@ 2.89V..and it will outthrow any of my others SF TIR200lumens like no tomorrow with IMR inside

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The SureFire EB1 Backup 200 Lumen Flashlight

Has anyone confirmed that using a EB1-T head on a E1B body/tailcap works, and results in single mode/high mode only?

I'm wondering if it would be a poor man's version of a Scout M300B.

WT101

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I just received my EB1T in silver today via Amazon. It appears I've been mislead in my brief research leading up to my decision to purchase it.

I was interested in the TIR optics because from more than one place I've read that it was a something of a supreme, completely artifact free beam. Mine isn't and further research after the fact tells me that it isn't even supposed to be as clean and smooth as what you'll get from a non-TIR with an OP reflector.

The hotspot has that "comet tail" seen on Mags, particularly when you focus it to a spot. It's not drastic like on my Mag 4D... more like one half of the spot is slightly fuzzy along the edge. The spill is also evenly divided by two distinct rings or depending on how you look at it, only one ring; the ring immediately around the hotspot has a slight purplish hue ( I actually appreciate that) and around that is just the rest of the spill with no distinct hue I can make out.

I can live with all this because I've always wanted a TIR optic torch(and again, I really do appreciate that slight, pleasant purplish hue) and I really wanted to test out the "legendary" SureFire ruggedness. Their no hassle warranty is appealing also.

Which leads me to this... I believe I may have gotten a used or refurbished one because the clip on my silver model is black. From pics and the one review on YT, the silver model has a grey clip. Maybe even a very dark greyish. Mine is a solid black and is also all scratched up. This cannot be the original clip even if they did start putting black clips on their silver models. However, this doesn't bother me either because, incidentally, I like the way it looks.

Did anyone get a brand new silver EB1 with a black clip?

So, my question is whether or not I should go for an exchange. Does anyone have an EB1 with a perfectly spotless beam and spill? No lopsided fuzziness on the hotspot? No rings?
Like I said, I can live with what I've got. I've gotten over the white wall hunting thing after my first couple of torches a couple years back. But, I want to know if what I have is normal for a TIR lens or if it sounds like what I described is in fact a dud.