SureFire EB1 Backup 200 Lumen Flashlight

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

As you found out, the TIR optics aren't artifact free but, for what it's worth, they are much less "ringy" than earlier versions. Your comments about the beam profile don't sound abnormal although I can't remember ever noticing any purple in the spill beam.

I don't own one of the silver EB1s but judging from photos around the 'net they have been sold with a gray clip like you describe, while it also appears some may have come with the black clip. The black clips will have surface scratches and/or scuffing, even when brand new, so that alone doesn't indicate there is anything wrong.

WT101

Newly Enlightened
Ok, sounds good. I'm really diggin' the TIR lens. The throw on the 5 lumen low is something else. The distance at which I can adequately light stuff up is remarkable and having the high mode always immediately available is reassuring. This type of UI is just great. I really prefer it over anything else I've personally tried.

It's a keeper. :thumbsup:

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The SureFire EB1 Backup 200 Lumen Flashlight

I am thinking about purchasing the Surefire eb1 clicky with the shroud sometime before the end of this year.

I read here that there is a greenish tint with this light and was wondering if they corrected this problem? I also heard that when you tail stand this light there is a little wobble to it due to the button slightly protruding from the shrouded tailcap. Not sure if Surefire corrected this or plan on correcting it but just wondering from you guys/girls if you had this problem. Thanks.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic

Is there any flashlight, the same size or smaller than eb1, that throws further on 1 x CR123a primary? Prefer to stick with primaries. Thanks! I think the eb1 out throws the lenslight mini?

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks but I see nothing there about lux only lumens. In any event I learned a while ago to trust cpf.members real life experiences over any manufacturers specs, even Surefire. The days of under claimed "Surefire lumens" are over.

MAN. I try to do a 180 and throw SF a solid. I mean... it's XMAS. Peace and goodwill and all that stuff. Then....BAM!

The Grinch.

;)

Been awhile my good friend. I have miss the bluntness. It's one of the more entertaining aspects of CPF.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been waiting for this for a while. I'd expect that it's just using the same LED as the E1D. Sadly, there is no mention of the tactical switch version.

It seems to me SF is doubling down on clickys more as they merge into the "civilian" market. Although, that doesn't guarantee it's not on it's way. Only a guess.

recDNA

Flashaholic

MAN. I try to do a 180 and throw SF a solid. I mean... it's XMAS. Peace and goodwill and all that stuff. Then....BAM!

The Grinch.

;)

Been awhile my good friend. I have miss the bluntness. It's one of the more entertaining aspects of CPF.
Look at it this way...as far as I know they still have the best throw of small 1 x CR123a lights. It would be nice if Malkoff could beat them. His led have better tint. Both Malkoff and Surefire have fantastic customer service and make tools designed to last a long time.

Oh I forgot...bah humbug!

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

Look at it this way...as far as I know they still have the best throw of small 1 x CR123a lights. It would be nice if Malkoff could beat them. His led have better tint. Both Malkoff and Surefire have fantastic customer service and make tools designed to last a long time.

Oh I forgot...bah humbug!

I would imagine the lux would increase with the brightness if the reflector is the same. I don't see any significant changes in appearance and also don't believe this is that type of upgrade....to expensive for manufacturing costs....They can just swap the emitter maybe tweek the the guts a bit and make another gabillion for the extra 100 lumen bump... I bet this is it for the next 3-4 years on this light. I think they would be looking at a signifigant bump in revenue for the latest and greatest. At the rate they roll out new product from store to market recently....it's a healthy $ move. They also have fixed pricing now...again. Now I believe AMAZON will be the place to get it @ the best price. SF is smart like that. They have the expensive in house sales. Then the cheapest AMAZON offering.....Poor dealers....

recDNA

Flashaholic

Does anyone know the old emitter and the new one? If the new emitter is bigger throw will suffer.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does anyone know the old emitter and the new one? If the new emitter is bigger throw will suffer.

Good point. Although, It will have to look a good bit brighter to warrant the "upgrade" lest SF would get many complaints of "the lights the same" especially from Joe Blow.

Not sure if it's in the wild yet. I have a strange feeling it will not be the E1D LED but something more neutral.....

IsaacL

Enlightened

Looking at runtime ratings, the new EB1 does not appear to share the same LED (XP-G2) as the E1D.

E1D * Runtime per ANSI standard ** Runtime (at highest setting for multiple-output lights) until output drops below 50 lumens.

EB1 *Runtime until output drops below 10% of maximum output at this setting.

I'll be somewhat surprised if this turns out to be the case since Surefire is, by their own admission, downsizing in anticipation of losing several MIL contracts. It would make sense to see them cut any unessential/low profit margin lights from production. I'd also expect to see the same electronics, LED's, and optics across multiple lights to reduce cost. They are absolutely shifting to the civilian market. I think it's unfortunate, since their better products have been MIL/LEO lights, but I'm sure many people will line up to buy the Titan, Sidekick, 2211X, etc...

recDNA

Flashaholic

What company is military using now?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looking at runtime ratings, the new EB1 does not appear to share the same LED (XP-G2) as the E1D.
E1D * Runtime per ANSI standard ** Runtime (at highest setting for multiple-output lights) until output drops below 50 lumens.
EB1 *Runtime until output drops below 10% of maximum output at this setting.

I'll be somewhat surprised if this turns out to be the case since Surefire is, by their own admission,

So side by side the E1D is pumping more declining output for longer. Yeah? Also, very interesting press release. News to me, which is rather rare. I need to downsize my flashlight internet time... All things considered, I don't really care what parts or processes they use as long as they are focused on producing better reliability. It has to improve if they want to make long term plans. As soon as they reach the tipping point of perceived reliability, thats all she wrote. Im also surprised to hear from Dr. Andrews. I was informed he is pretty much hands off now.

Good find IssacL. Also, I think you know where to shop should SF cease operations. ;)

What company is military using now?

Going of memory.... Military and various branches of armed forces choose from several manufacturers and models. There is no "set" brand that blankets the military for standard issue to my knowledge. The units that are left will be looking to save, flashlights i would imagine would be an easy way to cut the fat to a cheaper brand. Not only will they be loosing the contracts they have as the budget cuts come, but they will also be loosing the private individual military sales as manpower is reduced. Without getting too political...this is a great plan to downsize our armed forces in todays world climate.

"and that's all I got to say about that." - Forrest

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic

I would imagine the lux would increase with the brightness if the reflector is the same. I don't see any significant changes in appearance and also don't believe this is that type of upgrade....to expensive for manufacturing costs....They can just swap the emitter maybe tweek the the guts a bit and make another gabillion for the extra 100 lumen bump... I bet this is it for the next 3-4 years on this light. I think they would be looking at a signifigant bump in revenue for the latest and greatest. At the rate they roll out new product from store to market recently....it's a healthy $ move. They also have fixed pricing now...again. Now I believe AMAZON will be the place to get it @ the best price. SF is smart like that. They have the expensive in house sales. Then the cheapest AMAZON offering.....Poor dealers....
I confess to being rather impressed at the detailed analysis above considering that this post begins with citing the 'reflector' in the EB1 - this model series has had a TIR optic for at least the last half-dozen years.

[...] News to me, which is rather rare. I need to downsize my flashlight internet time...[...]
Im also surprised to hear from Dr. Andrews. I was informed he is pretty much hands off now.
Who is Dr. Andrews ?? :confused:

[...] Going of memory.... Military and various branches of armed forces choose from several manufacturers and models. There is no "set" brand that blankets the military for standard issue to my knowledge. The units that are left will be looking to save, flashlights i would imagine would be an easy way to cut the fat to a cheaper brand. Not only will they be loosing the contracts they have as the budget cuts come, but they will also be loosing the private individual military sales as manpower is reduced. Without getting too political...this is a great plan to downsize our armed forces in todays world climate.

"and that's all I got to say about that." - Forrest
Please desist with postings that go off-topic but then conclude with a statement that attempts to excuse the OT posting & close off the discussion.
Instead, if an off-topic discussion is desired, please do so in a separate thread and then the summary statements that attempt to close down the OT conversation can then be omitted.

Best regards,

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

Has anyone noticed on sf's website, when you click accessories/led conversions, the 200l TIR ke1a is gone? Has me wondering if there will be a similarly upgraded 300l single-cell, single-mode led conversion. Unless I have a filter on or something I can't find, that's taking out everything else.

Looks like you can no longer replace the tailcap and get single high mode eb1 as with original version.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

Forrest: Kestrel's reminder was nothing but polite, especially as you have been asked to keep that in mind on several occasions already. You are free to leave if you wish. If you choose to stay, please be mindful of the need to stay on topic, or start a new thread on your desired topic, per Kestrel's post. Thank you.

PS: It's Dr. Matthews.

The post read to me as condescending. Not the first time from staff. Definitely a first for Kestrel, he's a good dude.

You sent me one message with a happy face to be good. Im not even sure of the post or if any feathers were even ruffled. I do remeber the subject of the inquiry was rather benign. Either way I believe my response was "Yes Sir." The only other recent instance I can think of is that Bill recommended me not to post in the Titan thread. My reply was "Done". Yes, I am aware of the good doctors name, he is a hero of mine. Just remembered....Scouts24 post in the thread that shall not be mentioned as it's a disservice to the hobby.... OP directly insulted me and I was asked not do what the uninformed and incorrect OP did to me. I think you guys do a fine job regardless. But Scout24 has me wrong (on that point) in that thread. I did however instantly omit 1 word that was a complete stretch to be considered an insult. To be fair, I did send him a PM of that post should anything need to be changed.

I confess to being rather impressed at the detailed analysis above considering that this post begins with citing the 'reflector' in the EB1 - this model series has had a TIR optic for at least the last half-dozen years. :rolleyes:***

Who is Dr. Andrews ?? :confused: :rolleyes:***

Please desist with postings that go off-topic but then conclude with a statement that attempts to excuse the OT posting & close off the discussion. :rolleyes:*** Instead, if an off-topic discussion is desired, please do so in a separate thread and then the summary statements that attempt to close down the OT conversation can then be omitted.

Best regards,

It's an absolute travesty the few mistypes I had in that post. Not to mention my super crafted one liner from a movie to stifle discussion. Looks like I need to be publicly patronized. :rolleyes: Kerstel ( my favorite mod that I've literally have had nothing but positive interactions with ) it's not even you but a cumulative biased culture that is blatantly obvious. This was just bad timing. I've reached that point. The thin skinned and misinformed that like to personally attack me are never held to the same standard ( research it ). They all have one thing in common. Imagine that. This isn't a forum, it's a sales add and last I recall I haven't seen any checks in the mail. I may not be the picture perfect poster, but I back up the info I share 100% It's a good thing I don't spend countless hours obtaining new information and even more to make sure of it's accuracy. Then I get spit on by people who have no idea what they are talking about or any inclination to use google before running their mouth. Yet any time a mod points out something that I might need to edit I do so almost instantaneously. How many times do I have to tell you people I don't do disrespect? It almost seems like a hobby for a minority of posters and some of the staff. Do us both a favor and make it permanent. Some things are just more important than simply being apart of a "forum". Thank you and the CPF family for your time and knowledge. I have indeed learned a lot and I do owe that to CPF and it's contributors. Sincerely,

- Forrest

:banned:

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Forrest: Kestrel's reminder was nothing but polite, especially as you have been asked to keep that in mind on several occasions already. You are free to leave if you wish. If you choose to stay, please be mindful of the need to stay on topic, or start a new thread on your desired topic, per Kestrel's post. Thank you.

PS: It's Dr. Matthews.