• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

SureFire L4 (KL4) owners only

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don I DID have one, Msax has it now. I sold it to fund the Lionheart. I hope that I am not dissapointed. You can rest assured that I WILL contact you in the future to get another one as well as another PR-T head!

Gotta love that PR-T form factor!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool Bushman, standing by. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Word is that the LionHeart will be the last light you will need to buy; or was that the VIP? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am looking forward to my LionHeart as well. At any case, I too hope you aren't disappointed. Down the road, if I can be of any service, it's always a pleasure to work with you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
nexro,
the L1, L2 and A2 all use the same tailcap switch with a 10 ohm resistor. Hope this helps. One caution on the L2, don't change the resistor thinking you will get a lower "low" because the L2 has two independant constant current drivers and the 10 ohm switch merely dictates which is to be used.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just tried the McE2S two-stage switch (with 22 ohm resistor) on my SureFire KL4, and obtained the following readings:

KL4 on "high": 500,000mcd
KL4 on "low": 52,400mcd

Known-new BatteryStation brand CR123A cells were used for this test.

I can't update my McE2S web page with this data because it's hosted on a server that is currently offline. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
But I did update the local copy, so it'll be ready to go when the server comes back up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool Craig! Another case of 10:1 . I think, as I have stated before, this is an ideal high/ low mix as the human eye can typically handle 10:1 with no problem. That is to say it can take 10X the current level to make a real big difference. This is about 3+ F stops on a camera which is difficult for most films due to their density but the eye has much greater dynamic range*. For a 60 lumen output light, having a 6 lumen low level is a good selection, IMHO. When these lights get to 100 lumens output, I would love to come up with a simple and quick access switch that shifted through three levels; 1 lumen, 10 lumens and then 100 lumens. That would be sweet! I think I have time to work on the switch as the 100 lumen Lux III's ain't here yet.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

* I think I am correct and making sense here but I am open to correction and welcome illumination on this subject.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
yeah Don ... just like I said ... 3-stage switch for my X3T !
I like being right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

Dizney

Newly Enlightened
Don (or anyone else),

I like how my KL4 puts out a "wall of light" and was looking for something with more "punch". I'm willing to sacrifice runtime for power, and if I understand correctly, the nextgen units will not work with the 5 watt LEDs. Would an Aleph 1 with 5 watt LED, 2x123 pak, BB750 (or DB917?) and 22 ohm switch be the ideal configuration?

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Dizney,
this combo BB750 5W 2x123 Aleph1 will pack more punch than the L4, it will also have more throw.
But it won't be the "wow-is-that-freakin'-bright expierience after you have already the L4.
Here's a comparison between an L4 and a 2x123 BB750 X3T in McLux-PR combo. Remember that your bin will likely be inferior to the infamous X-bin, meaning less bright.

L4:
rl_led_06_l4.jpg

McLux-PR BB750 X3T:
rl_led_11_pr_x3t_750.jpg

bernhard

Dizney

Newly Enlightened
Bernhard,

Thanks for the great pics!! I guess it's gonna depend on what bin Don has for the 5 watt LEDs.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I compared my PILA-driven L4/McE2S/22 with a VIP on Low. The E2S was noticeably superior in brightness and breadth of beam and IMO is the perfect low level for a very dark/rural setting. For urban use I prefer the 10 ohm because it's likely to be used under relatively high ambient light levels.

Brightnorm

ubermensch

Enlightened
I just tested the currect on my Pila/L4/McE2S--with 7.5 omh it draws 140mA, with the 10 ohm 120mA--does that translate to 10 hours & 12 hours respectively on a pila with 1400mAh? Also, I think they are both around 10:2 output ratio, if you use 130mA(low) vs. 660mA(high).

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bushman,

Your PR-T is safe and in excellent hands! Thanks for letting me fund your LH purchase.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
WOW...where have I been? Snoozing -thus losing! Just received my Aleph tailcap/switch combo for the L4 & KL1! This is "REQUIRED HARDWARE"!! To me, it's just as required as the ARC AAA on my keychain! It means that much to me in versatility!

...And a KL1 on the Aleph body with the Aleph 2 stage tailcap/switch is going to become a "PRIMARY" torch for my coat pocket!

Thanks for offering these Don..yeah, I'm a "late one" on this - but glad I finally arrived!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Sigman,

Glad you got them and thanks!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I feel the same way about the utility of the two stage switch but then since I am selling these, sodium cloride must be taken with my comments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
nah Don, be proud!
these switches are important like nothing else you did this year!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
bernhard

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a replacement 15 ohm board from the Shoppe for my little project and it works fantastic! KL4 on an E1E body with an Aleph tailcap and 15 ohm McE2s switch. Great little flood light on high and the low is just right- enough illumination in a nice flood for walking around at night, and not bright enough to ruin your night vision for any length of time. I snapped a micro-clip through the hole in the Aleph tailcap that's attached to a lanyard with a carabiner for belt loop attachment, and it hangs in my pocket without worrying about losing it. Nice job Don!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks Bernie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Cool Fitz!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
You guys aren't having trouble remembering the button sequences to operate these devices? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think I like these things a little *too* much. Have three, and lots more coming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifon ducks for cover: Anything that even remotely looks like a E-series-compatible light is getting one. The two stage is obviously dreamy, but I'm just as thrilled with the tail-standing/guarded switch/button attachment/tripod hole. It started with the McLux, folks! I don't miss the Kroll all that much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif