SureFire L5 vs L6

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the KL4 is a *boost* only circuit. Dont try it on anything more than 2 cells. The KL6 is *buck* and can handle higher voltages (but wont do anything on 2 cells or under).

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly right. The KL4 AND KL5 are boost circuits. I have supporting evidence that says it is so. In fact I know it's posted around here where I plot the input voltage vs input current. Haven't tested the KL6 since I don't have one but I'd also wager that it is a buck circuit.

CM

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
So, Ray...where do you see your L5 fitting in with your needs?

I have looked at beam shots and it looks like the throw is only marginally better than the L4, or am I wrong?

Is this a fair analogy: Arc LSHP is to LSHPF as L4 is to L5?
If not, why not?

I mean it IS the Holiday Season and I HAVE been good, but is the L5 so different than L4 to fill a niche that my DB400R2H cant fill, at 4x the runtime as an L5?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Blue said:
So, Ray...where do you see your L5 fitting in with your needs?

I have looked at beam shots and it looks like the throw is only marginally better than the L4, or am I wrong?

Is this a fair analogy: Arc LSHP is to LSHPF as L4 is to L5?
If not, why not?

I mean it IS the Holiday Season and I HAVE been good, but is the L5 so different than L4 to fill a niche that my DB400R2H cant fill, at 4x the runtime as an L5?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blue, the throw found in the L5 is noticably better than the L4. Since I'm trying to convert to all LED, the L5 does have a place for me. It has enough usefull spill light to be noticed, whereas the LSHF has no side spill whatsoever. I'm unsure of the L5 runtime, since I haven't tested it yet. If it get at least as much as the L4, I'll be happy. My biggest reason for keeping the L5 is for modularity (if this is really a word). I like using the L4 or UBH as the host unit. I can't do that with the L6. With a simple L4 or UBH body, I have so many options for lighting it's simply amazing. I won't list them all here, but there are now literally a dozen different configurations that are available to me, by just changing a bezel and using the E2C.

Sorry, I think I strayed from your questions. Did I answer them all?

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
almost!:)

will it serve you as a search light? walking around light?, who's that in my backyard light?

from what I've read, its a 65 min burn time

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Recon, yes of course it is!
Think of McLux-PR with 1W or 3W LS at various drive levels, KL1 as a stock head with long runtime and acceptable output, etc.
The best 1W heads are the modded ones IMHO, the KL3 on the other hand is a bit on the bulky side right now and for me it is outdated and outgunned, except when modded.
bernhard

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Recon, I'd scrap the idea of the KL3. Too damn big for what it does, in my opinion. I keep my L5 for the "Yea, I have one" factor. It's really a nice light, however it's not my most used.

I've been using the L4 as a host, for the stock KL4 for flood, a modifed 1-watt KL4 for throw, a couple McLux PR Lux-III DB-917 for throw, a couple McLux PR-T Lux-III DB-917 for the coolness factor and an E2C with SRTH/N1 for when I really need to reach out and touch something.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I got an L5 over the holidays and have been playin' with it for the past week putting it through various environs. I like it alot, as TIN stated the throw is definitely more significant than the L4, probably about 20 to 25 feet more with more flood capacity than an incan but don't sell off your incans yet. After trying it out in total interior darkness at the shop I work at, a suburban neighborhood and an urban industrial area I have come to a conclusion that LED's such as this have one major flaw, they do poorly when tasked to cut through other ambient light sources such as street lights at night. I don't know why but other light sources significantly affect the throw of LED lighting where incans are not affected by any appreciable amount. This came to light (no pun intended) while testing the L5 against a P60 lamped G2 down by the Brooklyn waterfront well after dark, I found that shining both lights across a lit street but into a darkened doorway approximately 30-35 ft. away that the beam of the LED was almost completely washed out by the ambient light of the streetlamps and not able to light up any significant details inside the dark doorway while the incan G2 was able to light up the entire doorway in detail and cut through the light of the street lamps in a visibly noticeable beam pattern. In total darkness and in near darkness, such as a suburban street where street lighting is spaced much farther apart, the L5 performed superbly and better than most incans in that it provided both a decent flood, decent throw and a much whiter light source.

I do like the L5 a great deal and even find it about as easy to handle as my C2 although it did have the typical thin HA rub throughs on the sharper edges that everyone has been noticing, a bent clip that needed to be straightened a bit (it was in a factory sealed box, so I know it's new) and a rubber clickey shroud that was not as nicely formed as my other Surefires. I also think for what I paid for it, it should have included the lanyard like my M3, but it is undeniably a great step forward in the production 5W 2cell lighting category.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks TIN, I just thought that it would be something of interest, it doesn't really affect my typical light usage, but I thought it could probably put a damper on some tasks typical of Law enforcement. I would like to hear how it would do in say, a lit parking garage or a parking lot with lots of light trees, tasked to light up some distant or remote dark spots there as compared to a similar sized incan.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

symes

Enlightened
Going back a step or two...I still think the KL3 has a use...

+C3 or +E2C+VitalGear 3x123 and you get a good lot of indestructible light for 7 plus hours then all the rest...

What else fits that gap?

Simon

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
One thing I have noticed in the KL3 is that on my M2 it has better throw and beam than a CMG Reactor 2 cell or 3 cell..

About the L5 and L6, my only problem now is which to get. I have an M2, so I thought of getting a L6 to have a 3 cell light...But it looks so big...

Right now I comfortably carry my M2+SW02 everyday, and love it...so I don't think the L5 would be too big, but not sure if the L6's runtime and slightly tighter hotspot warrant the extra cost and size.

Latest posts