Surefire tactician

LRJ88

Enlightened
Its hard to see anything in that pic but, if you are talking about in between the different pieces of the head, it could be the thread locker/silicone SF uses to seal their heads. Also, after a little research, I see that some of those joints use flat rubber gaskets as apposed to o-rings(in addition to the thread locker/silicone). So, if a bit of the gasket is showing it very likely is still sealed and makes no difference. Honestly, either way I would just use it man and utilize the lifetime warranty if needed.

I'm talking about between the different pieces of the head, might be the thread locker or a flat gasket, now i at least have it documented and seeing as how having it serviced from Sweden is a rather huge pain in the nethers if it's something that could save me a lot of effort in the long run with some clarification on their end.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm talking about between the different pieces of the head, might be the thread locker or a flat gasket, now i at least have it documented and seeing as how having it serviced from Sweden is a rather huge pain in the nethers if it's something that could save me a lot of effort in the long run with some clarification on their end.

Good point, at least now SF knows about it.

I didn't realize you were offshore. I feel your pain, though to a lesser degree, as I am closer to the US in Canada.

Is their any way you could swap it out with the vendor or? I will say that the gasket on mine isn't perfect all the way around either, I think it is just the nature of a flat rubber washer used in this application.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Good point, at least now SF knows about it.

I didn't realize you were offshore. I feel your pain, though to a lesser degree, as I am closer to the US in Canada.

Is their any way you could swap it out with the vendor or? I will say that the gasket on mine isn't perfect all the way around either, I think it is just the nature of a flat rubber washer used in this application.

Sadly it's a no-go on the vendor, i got it through Amazon and they direct me directly to SF themselves, otherwise i'd happily drag my behind there and have them change it. I'm hoping i'm just overly cautious, i have a long history of getting lemons, and at this point i wouldn't be surprised getting a hand-picked and custom made lemon as well just because my luck is so bad.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadly it's a no-go on the vendor, i got it through Amazon and they direct me directly to SF themselves, otherwise i'd happily drag my behind there and have them change it. I'm hoping i'm just overly cautious, i have a long history of getting lemons, and at this point i wouldn't be surprised getting a hand-picked and custom made lemon as well just because my luck is so bad.
Again, I feel your pain as I have the same luck lol.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those looking for a 1-cell body option for the Tactician...

The Tactician head works perfectly on my new Malkoff MDC CR123A Body with an unprotected flat top Efest V1 16340(with slightly reduced high mode output like on a 16650 of course).

7aty666.jpg

Cs7bxQJ.jpg

Last edited:

Mikeg23

Enlightened
For those looking for a 1-cell body option for the Tactician...

The Tactician head works perfectly on my new Malkoff MDC CR123A Body with an unprotected flat top Efest V1 16340(with slightly reduced high mode output like on a 16650 of course).

That looks really cool. Don't know why I hadn't considered an mdc body?

LRJ88

Enlightened
About a month later and having been redirected to international support i've yet to get any proper reply regarding my tactician and the o-ring/gasket that's sticking out of the head. Does anyone outside of North America have any experience in the time it takes to get an answer from their CS?

Also, thanks to Tachead for posting your photos with the LF tailcap, i've got one of those coming my way now as well as some different boots for it.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
About a month later and having been redirected to international support i've yet to get any proper reply regarding my tactician and the o-ring/gasket that's sticking out of the head. Does anyone outside of North America have any experience in the time it takes to get an answer from their CS?

Also, thanks to Tachead for posting your photos with the LF tailcap, i've got one of those coming my way now as well as some different boots for it.

Give SF a call and they will help you out. Email is not the best way to deal with them I hear.

No problem man, hope you like it👍.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Give SF a call and they will help you out. Email is not the best way to deal with them I hear.

No problem man, hope you like it.

Just as a small update on it i've been unable to reach SF on the phone, with no mail. Aaand the tailcap is lost in transit somewhere so my luck really shines through.

u2u

Newly Enlightened
In thirty years of using Surefire products I have only had a couple of tail cap issues. A short phone call and support sent replacements pronto. The best part of their support is you don't need it often. Just got a Tactician by mail in Canada. Two days of heavy use and I could not be more pleased. The fit and finish are flawless, handling and beam are superb, and the overall package nails it for my EDC needs. If you have a light with issues work through them, the effort will be worth it. The Tactician is the best value Surefire I have used...

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of Surefire customer service, I feel it's a hit or a miss. I contacted them for a badly offset led on e1bmv and they got back to me in a day asking to send the light in. Once I sent it in, no response in ten days after the light was received by Surefire. I've reached out to them already but nothing back yet.

I think it's getting taken care of but I feel kept in the dark without comm. Just wanted share my experience.

Bronc6901

Newly Enlightened
Don't mean to bring up an old thread, but I love my tactician and have it with me every day either on me or in my go-bag. Anyone use a malkoff edc body with one of the tactician heads and still get a high and low?

battledrill3

Newly Enlightened
Just about full zombie thread, I realize.

This light ... is by far my favorite flashlight I have owned. Unbelievably, its functionality with regards to input controls, is exactly what I wanted. Perfect size.

I love it so much that I'm changing all my EDC and carry tools, as well as camping tools, to those that take CR123, or in this case K2 LiFePo4.

Formerly rocked the Peak Eiger, though I found the gas pedal and twist head to be a tad wonky but best around in terms of controls. Ordered LF E-series head, looking for the slightly shorter length and prouder button; waiting for upcoming options for body and clips from LF as well.

In terms of a self-defense tool, with 10 years in the US Army as an Airborne Infantryman to include side duties as a combatives (hand-to-hand) instructor, this light is perfect for that need in my opinion.... Probably jumped into a bunch of threads at once, but hey, it's my first post.

Last edited by a moderator:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Just about full zombie thread, I realize.... Probably jumped into a bunch of threads at once, but hey, it's my first post.

Hello and welcome to CPF

Your post above has been approved, in edited form. The tangential, off topic (personal and non-flashlight related), and potentially divisive material was removed. Paragraphs and line breaks were also added, to improve readability.

Thank you for your understanding.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have solid numbers on runtimes and outputs running this head on a single cell?

Preferably 16340/14500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Finally got around to doing some runtime tests. Not very impressive but looks like 16650 is best choice for continuous runtime, 123s are middle ground and 16340 for longest brightest output. I terminated tests early because it's boring recording that low of output, i bet the 16650 could of ran another 1hr at a fairly bright output. Enjoy
I measured from 1 meter
2x16340 4kcd
2x sf123 4kcd
1x 16650 3.2kcd
iSplGZx.jpg

Right here

For 16340 and 14500 it would start at the same line as 16650 but have considerably less runtime. This head was no optimized for single lion, youre better off using the e1b mv

Last edited: