Surefire Titan T1A Pics & Info

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
I think this is the primary reason it hasn't sold well.
I have one, and I like it. I don't think it has sold well because:
1. How much call is there for a keychain light that is as big as this one and uses CR123As?
2. How many people really need an infinitely variable brightness light of any size, as cool as this is? (And it is WAY cool.) My guess is that most people have no clue how to effectively use this because not many people practice seeing in the dark. (If you crank it up to the max brightness everytime you turn it on, it is a complete waste of money to own this light.)
3. Price. For a backup light that serves no specific specialized purpose that I can discern, this light is expensive. (Keep in mind I say this with love - I really love my T1A and use it all the time.)
4. <CPF Only> Other than the very low-low, floodiness, and a slight size advantage, the HDS lights are superior to this light. I would venture that from the perspective of most CPF'ers, the HDS lights are way better. They are certainly less expensive. (I also carry an HDS light - it is superb. Actually, the two lights complement each other pretty well - having a tiny flood light and a tiny throw light is kind of handy sometimes...)
5. <everyone else in the universe> the E1B is more affordable, and while less flexible, is likely a better choice as a backup for every LEO, and perceived as a better choice by dang near everyone else. The E1B is an awesome light - they compete with themselves on this one. (BTW, I hate the E1B, I also have one of those - just not for me - but I can appreciate that it is very well designed and awesome. It is also totally unsuitable for your purpose.)

BTW, lest anyone think that I am bashing the T1A - I really, really love this light. If it cost $150, I'd think it was a good deal, and at < $100 I'd give one to everyone I know... At $250 - it is expensive in my opinion. On the other hand, it is superbly well made, functions flawlessly, and is a joy to use.

I want to know if at a very low out-put, the light on the T1A is even (no rings or bright spots, etc), i.e., a true flood a low levels. And how 'warm' is the light, really?

The beam is an even flood light - and this has the lowest low of any light I own, which is a big part of the reason I really like it. It is usable for navigation with dark adapted vision. I haven't tried reading with it, although I'm sure you could - at least as well as you can read anything with dark adapted vision. You will not have a problem with it being too bright. As for warmth - it is a cool / neutral beam, with emphasis on cool, like Brasso said. (I'm being nice - it is quite cool, not as bad as a 5mm LED, but it is definitely a cool tint.)

jonesy

Enlightened
I'm hoping that the upgraded 100 lumen version will fix my two main beefs: in every review I've seen it has that nasty blue tint and the out of focus LED, which are completely unacceptable to me on a $250 light. Despite the trick variable nature, those problems are deal killers. Granted, I'm not expecting a high cri LED (I can dream) like in my Eiger QTC but I'd be happy with the tint on my E1B, which is a nice white. That's not asking too much, is it?

chris975d

Newly Enlightened
I'm hoping that the upgraded 100 lumen version will fix my two main beefs: in every review I've seen it has that nasty blue tint and the out of focus LED, which are completely unacceptable to me on a $250 light. Despite the trick variable nature, those problems are deal killers. Granted, I'm not expecting a high cri LED (I can dream) like in my Eiger QTC but I'd be happy with the tint on my E1B, which is a nice white. That's not asking too much, is it?

A solution to this (even though it throws away your factory warranty) is to buy one of the current T1As since they have now dropped to around $175 new, and have one of the modders on CPF here put in the high CRI emitter of your choice. I just recently did this, and it's become my favorite light. It's around my neck daily. And the total price isn't much different than what the "old" MSRP was just a few months ago ($249).

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] has anyone wished/thought the light should turn on by rotating in the opposite direction? When I'm turning it on one handed (right hand) I wish it would rotate clockwise instead of counter clockwise.

[...]Yes! That was my instinct as well, and I'm not sure as to why. Of the 3-4 people I have handed it to, only one tried to turn it on in the correct way the first time. (My Fenix LD01 head would turn on the same way as this T1A, so I was wondering if it was just me... :thinking:) I think that by holding it in my right hand and grasping it, my thumb is naturally oriented to rotate the bezel by pushing away - i.e. the wrong direction.

If you hold it in your left hand, the thumb seems to rotate it to 'on' completely naturally, doesn't it? :huh:

Left handed designer. :laughing:

Yeah, I was just playing with mine too, and it is more natural to rotate counter clockwise with my left hand. BTW, it was well worth it to have mine fixed, better beam, brighter, and nice mostly neutral white. I sent mine out for fix before DAFAB was doing them. I might have opted for the Hi CRI, or maybe his XP-G mod.

Just wanted to bump this 'issue' now that I finally have a SureFire U2 to compare this with. So yes, the U2 gets brighter via a clockwise rotation of the control ring. Why again was the T1A designed to get brighter via a counterclockwise rotation? :confused:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to bump this 'issue' now that I finally have a SureFire U2 to compare this with. So yes, the U2 gets brighter via a clockwise rotation of the control ring. Why again was the T1A designed to get brighter via a counterclockwise rotation? :confused:

for real? that's crazy!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Just checked mine, it is real.
Damm! Now I won't be able to forget this while using the thing.
What was read cannot be unread :D

Flucero28

Enlightened
Just turn the body tube instead of the head and it will get brighter with clockwise rotation ; )

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
In my experience, no, it doesn't even light with a fully charged AW rechargeable. However, you might be able to use another chemistry with a lower voltage or partially discharged RCR's as other people have pointed out on the earlier T1A thread.

Anyone else care to 'smoke test' their T1A with a rechargeable?

I had made several stabs at getting my T1A to light up with a K2 Energy LFP without success, until I read on CPF that it was a contact issue. Yes, the positive terminal is too short on the K2 Energy LFP 123A to complete the circuit, but placing a very thin shim in the positive contact cavity area inside the battery tube allowed the T1A to light up.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is a old thread but I just snagged 2 new in box for $99.00 each o that auction site.
Seems like in my range now!

Hoping I get them in a few days too?

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
I know this is a old thread but I just snagged 2 new in box for $99.00 each o that auction site.
Seems like in my range now!

Hoping I get them in a few days too?
I hope you enjoy your T1A purchases as much as I have mine... I own a couple of these, too. One thing I noticed is the UI is much, much smoother after some use. As others have stated, truly a one-handed operation. A night-light companion.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well mine came in the other day and I have been carrying one to get familiar with it before saying anything here,I LIKE!

I was worried it would be too big from the varying descriptions that I have seen but it is EXACTLY the same size as an ET D25C Clicky which is already one of my favorite lights.

It is much smaller than an HDS and the same diameter but shorter than a Peak 17500 Logan.

The beam is more flood than throw and it seems made for indoor use to light a room up or for close in outside,seems great for an around camp light when camping.
Not the brightest I have seen on a 123 but brighter than I thought and perfect for crawling around a dark attic the other day in my mouth!

The control ring though is so much nicer than any others I have tried,it is smoother and yet firmer too. There is a nice solid detent at the off position and if it does somehow come on when not expected it times itself off in 5 minutes a brilliant idea. The bottom third of the turn is pretty much useless though and after you can see that it is on it takes a while before it will throw any light. It does seem stepless though and much easier to get a level than any Peak I have tried and I love me some Peak!

The 2 that I got have 2 different tints too,not even close to the same?
One is just white and the other is more warm but neither are really blue as I was expecting. I don't know why they are so different it is not tough see it at all?

Overall it is an impressive light and I am excited to have it for the new lower price.
I can't decide if it is twice as nice as a D25C which is brighter but it is a Surefire and it does bear a strong family resemblance in quality construction and finish.

Overall I really like them and am glad they have dropped in price,it is a keeper for me.

Ed

Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a new T1A yesterday also. B and H has the 90 lumen version for 143 and free shipping. Glad I went for it. Great light and tint.

Tracker II

Enlightened
I got mine a few days ago and am very impressed. If I didn't know better, I would swear that there was no way a CR123 was in it, it's that small and light.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I'm used to tighten for on, I actually prefer the less common tighten-for-off setup. Instead of turning it an arbitrary distance past off to lock it out, you return it to the same obvious fixed point every time. And it's like a little canister of light whose lid you unscrew to get the product out, then seal back up before pocketing!

Thanks for the heads up on B&H. Great deal, shipped & with a couple of batteries. BTW can you put a surefire LFP 123a rechargeable in this thing?