Talk me out of the Walmart special

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a compact flashlight, 8" or so, for use while hiking overnight and for avoiding zombies :) My budget is less than $50.

Hmmmmmm :thinking:

Thinking outside of the box a little... would you consider an Incandescent/LED hybrid? the reason I ask is Cabela's is currently offering it's "Alaskan Guide" flashlight for $34.88 USD :thumbsup:

* Have built in red and white lenses - your choice of green, red, blue OR white LEDs (in addition the the incan lamp)

* Use standard batteries - CR123a/17670 Li-Ion rechargeable cell compatible

* Good balance between brightness and run time - 1hr Xenon / 50hr 3 x 3mm LEDs (continuous usage)

* Water resistant - O ring sealed (IPX7?)

At that price it's streets ahead of the 3AAA Walmart special IMHO :thumbsup:

Last edited:

arioch

Enlightened
I had the Coleman light the OP was referring to when they first came out at Walmart. The blue LED started flickering after the first day of use, and steadily got worse until it crapped out on the third day. The red LED and white Cree still worked, but I returned it to Walmart and got the model with one Cree LED. The single Cree model works, but not super impressive output compared to other Cree offerings at the time.

I would also recommend the Photon Proton Pro. Don't have one myself, but do have its predecessor the Photon Proton. Seems to fit the bill for what you are looking for.

You did not say if size was a factor. There is the Energizer Hardcase 2AA that you might want to take a look at. It is an adjustible head crook neck light that is about the size and appearance of an Army 2D crookneck light. It has two switches; one for the cree "main" beam, and a second for the red/green LED's.

Pressing the main switch once will activate the white "high" beam; pressing again will activate the white "low" beam. One more press will shut it off.

Pressing the second switch once will activate the 2 red LED's; pressing it again will activate the one green LED; pressing again will shut it off.

It is supposed to be water resistant; I have not used mine in the rain or bathtub yet.:grin2:

The Energizer costs about $30 at Lowes (I misremember the exact cost; they were about $20 or so this past Christmas shopping season, but likely went back to its regular price since).

rockstar

Newly Enlightened
I'm starting to think the proton pro may not be sturdy enough for me. I think something a little more rugged or rubberized would be better.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
No need to worry on that score - it's a very well made little light.

Certainly if you're concerned about reliability and water/dirt-proof ness it's going to be much better than any of those 3xAAA lights.

And because the red and white LEDs are built-in, a whole lot less hassle than anything with a detachable filter - no fumbling about in the dark trying to attach or take off a filter, or getting the filter misted up with moisture, dropped in the mud or lost in the bottom of a backpack.