Terri Schiavo R.I.P

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Terri Schiavo

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this is a fair description of what's going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, don't worry, I wasn't describing whats going on that way. I was reacting to the folks that wanted to have the state or hospital of whoever take action and end her suffering early via actively doing something rather than not doing something.

You're right, that isn't what is happening, and I don't want that to ever happen which is why I don't want the things that some folks have posted as being good ideas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nethiker

Enlightened

Ooops, misread your post. It's o.k. to agree to disagree, but even better to agree to agree. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Greg

prescottrecorder

Newly Enlightened

I was afraid to open this thread, fearing an over the top, confrontational discussion. Congratulations to all on the thoughtful, empathetic dialog.

Greta

Flashaholic

Prescott... if it had gotten to the point of "over the top, confrontational", you would have been opening a locked thread... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

for those looking for more historical information on this I just finished reading a rather decent bit of summing up HERE

Doesn't really answer any of the big questions, but one can understand why some folks have questions.

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
[ QUOTE ]
Why is everyone putting their noses into this families business ....

[/ QUOTE ]

... because the family dragged our noses into it... kicking and screaming all the way! The family went to the press... and the governor... and the courts... and Congress... etc etc. The husband didn't. I'd have just as soon had my nose left out of the whole mess... and my tax dollars too... thankyouverymuch... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. I think the family is coming to regret the monster they helped create. But.. the press would have quickly droped the story if we had not been eating it up. They are getting big ratings from this story. Since they make money based on ratings it ends up being about money... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Same with the policicians. They were just jumping on a hot subject to ride it for some mileage.

Just the opinion of someone who used to work in that industry (TV).

Chris

alberto

Enlightened

Give this topic a break already. This is a personal situation that doesn't need or want your involvement or opinions. Who cares what you think?

Greta

Flashaholic

Easy guys... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif

Leb... there's no need to respond to posts like that.

And alberto... there's no need to make posts like that.

Might I suggest editing is in order for both of you?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
but what is it like to be brain dead? Is it possible she can have conscious thoughts but has no motor control to be able to communicate any more? Perhaps if you had been trapped in a world with yourself for over a decade you would prefer 2 weeks of dehydration to another 20 years of solitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know the lady is apallic, meaning she has lost the main part of her brain that includes her personality and thoughts and only the brainstem remains, so there shouldn't be any consciousness or awareness left, not even flickers of thoughts.
However, there are cases where the damage isn't complete and some functions remain. It is the duty of the doctors to determine the situation properly, and it sounds as if this was done in a sufficient way, and so she should be really really braindead. No more individual there.

The other possibility you are afraid of is a damaged brainstem where the communication of the main brain with the periphery is blocked, meaning you can think, hear, see and feel normally but cannot move or do anything except maybe some rudimentary eye movements. This is called "locked-in sydrome" and not the case here, different story.

bernhard

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
As far as I know the lady is apallic, meaning she has lost the main part of her brain that includes her personality and thoughts and only the brainstem remains, ...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the report I heard about Terry also.. and then went one step further. I heard one of the doctors (she spoke for many, not just herself) report that there was very little brainstem left... that it was so damaged that there simply was nothing there.

[ QUOTE ]
This is called "locked-in sydrome" ...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an interesting syndrome that I didn't even know existed until some TV program last year.. I think it was CSI? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Anyway, this serial killer was inducing "locked-in syndrome" to his victims and then torturing them and studying them etc etc. His experiments kept failing so his victims died... but one survived. Then there was/is last seasons Nip/Tuck (TV show on FX) where the situation was the same... this bad guy (girl?!?!?) induces a temporary "locked-in syndrome" in his victims and then he carves up their face... thus the name "The Carver" is given to him (her?!?!). Both of these shows went quite indepth into the whole "locked-in syndrome". Fascinating! And horrifying!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Some in the media and Terry's family are suggesting that Terry's condition is indeed at least a partial "locked-in syndrome"... and as I stated above, if that is the case (which I have no doubt it isn't!)... but if there were even a remote possibility that this was the case, then Terry HAS to have been suffering tremendously psychologically and no doubt went completely "mad" (forgive me Bernie for using such an unprofessional term) years ago. How many years can someone try to comminicate with others with no success before the frustration and futility causes them to lose what little mind they have left? Is there anyone here who could say that if they were in any form of "locked-in syndrome" for any length of time... let's say for the sake of this argument, 5 years... if you had any "mind" left, wouldn't it be screaming... "Please let me die!!!"??? ... I know I wouldn't even make it 5 years... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

BTW... I know Bernie won't tell you all so I will... Bernie does happen to have a little bit of expertise in this area... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ... so I do trust his assessments... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

nethiker

Enlightened

Terri has passed according to msnbc.

Good thoughts for her, her family, and all those who have been affected by this affair.

Greg

B@rt

Flashaholic

I for one am happy Terry finally is able to find peace, Life like this isn't life... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I also hope those involved will see it that way in time.

Regards,

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

The sad thing here is that many families are dealing with the same issues every day in hospitals around the world.

If there is one thing we can all learn here--GET YOURSELF AN ASSIGNED POWER OF ATTORNEY AND A LIVING WILL!

Death from dehydration/starvation is not one of the worst ways to die--the body begins to produce natural endorphins that are on par with many of our current medications. Stopping and starting the process over and over is the torture.

Many people mention the medication overdose route. I wouldn't mind going that route either, but which of your loved ones is going to be the one to push the meds and kill you. Do you know that they are going to have to live with that when you're gone? There's a big difference between witholding care/pulling the plug vs. actively ending someone's life and watching them die right there in front of you.

If I'm your nurse, I'd have a hard time bringing myself to kill you. There's a lot of ethical and moral issues at work here.

My personal opinion if I'm ever in that situation--give me a week and see if I get better. If I fail to progress, stop whatever it is that is keeping me alive. Harvest any organs you can for someone else and throw the scraps into a shallow grave on a forest hillside so I can grow some flowers.

Frangible

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]

Death from dehydration/starvation is not one of the worst ways to die--the body begins to produce natural endorphins that are on par with many of our current medications. Stopping and starting the process over and over is the torture.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the same, I'd prefer the morphine overdose.

Greta

Flashaholic

Flow... you bring up some very good points! I guess this is where you should also make sure that the person you "designate" to make these decisions is one you can trust and one that you have discussed the issue with to a point where there is no question as to your wishes and that they can handle them. If say for instance your spouse can't do it, then you go to perhaps a best friend or parent or one of your children or clergy or whatever. And this decision needs to be put in writing with all parties aware of it... and signatures by all of the parties that may be involved that they are aware of your decisions and understand them fully. Even perhaps going to the extent that they agree not to interfere.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my husband would honor my wishes... without hesitation and he could and would be able to live with them... knowing full well that it is what I want. My parents and children also know. We are all very secure (and grateful!) in our trust in each other to do what we know the other wishes.

Yes, Terry has accomplished something... awareness. Seems somewhat ironic, doesn't it?

DarkLight

Enlightened

Hopefully an autopsy will end all the rhetoric.

Then we can all get back to the Michael Jackson case...

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
DarkLight said:
Hopefully an autopsy will end all the rhetoric.

Then we can all get back to the Michael Jackson case...

[/ QUOTE ]

*groan*

junior

Enlightened

Good point flow.

In my other business, i constantly tell people to do their wills and power of attorney and such and they just refuse to do them. I presume they never complete them out of fear of death and such.