The 250+ Lumen Challenge

I love you challenges, but I'm out on this one as well... my two favored 2x123-sized lights both quality (#1 is a C2 with a Thrunite 3-mode XML and #2 is a Solarforce with a SupaSizeFries 3-mode SST50) but other than impressing friends, I basically NEVER use the max mode. It's just WAY too bright. Outdoors... maybe. But indoors... the rooms with taupe or burgundy walls are tolerable, but the rooms with light blue or cream... forgetabout!

I just hope I won't have to work in stainless steel machines or my clients will think I'm some sort of moron for wearing protective sunglasses inside (perhaps even a welder's mask)...
Almost squirted water out my nose there! :crackup:

I'm actually glad mine's pure flood for this amount of light. I was just inspecting the inside of a laser printer... normally I'd use low or medium, but in the spirit of the challenge, I kept it on high. All I needed to do was hold it further away that normal, and all was well.

To those of you with highly focused lights: I feel for you. Go flood!

SciFii,
It's a Longbow with a PR head, with a 3 speed U2 XM-L.

It came in handy today at my ice cream shop. I had to use it to fix a leaking condensation drain on the air condition.
img00116201106071633sma.jpg

I would love to join in again but I just took possession of my Haiku xp-g, and, well, I'm not going a week without using it. Maybe next week. :nana: Surely you understand carrot. :grin2:

I'm actually glad mine's pure flood for this amount of light. I was just inspecting the inside of a laser printer... normally I'd use low or medium, but in the spirit of the challenge, I kept it on high. All I needed to do was hold it further away that normal, and all was well.

To those of you with highly focused lights: I feel for you. Go flood!

I just remembered I own one of Milky's sweet 17670-based Room Sweepers. SF E2E satin gunmetal finish with tear-drop bezel, and a carry-clip. Oh wait, my Malkoff equipped 6P is also flood. Pure flood.

You know you're a true flashaholic when you start forgetting which high-end customized models you own.

I just hope I won't have to work in stainless steel machines or my clients will think I'm some sort of moron for wearing protective sunglasses inside (perhaps even a welder's mask)...

Almost squirted water out my nose there! :crackup:

+1
2148276.gif

I almost squirted out water but it was not from my nose :D

===============================================

I'll play ..... Surefire 6P + Malkoff M91 + a shed load of batteries

This sounds like fun....

But I don't think I'll participate. I already carry around my near 2000 lumen Mag 2D / FM1909 a lot, and no way am I turning it on for night bathroom visits or in a theater... besides, my battery only lasts 25min on it :D

Can't dim it down with my hands either - I'll end up with roasted hands!

Okay so it's been dark for about an hour here, I've been outside testing my new HO-M6R and softstart. WOW. That's all I can say!

It's so difficult only using ultra high outputs indoors! I dropped an eneloop under my bed earlier, instinctively went for my light, and proceeded to blast my face off with my M6... This will be much harder than the 5mm challenge! I may just have to spend the entire week outdoors, only looking at things from a distance...

I think I have discovered a nice lantern style diffuser for my E2 though, it's a pill bottle with the neck cut out. Slips over the E2 head easily, can be used to adjust output by blocking parts of the bottle!

I may have to drop back to the MN-20 lamp in the M6, the orange one specified no light switching and no modes, but he did not mention different bulbs!

Cheers,
Alex

Well unfortunately I'm out on this one as well. I've got plenty that would meet the criteria, but I've been needing my Spartanian II tailstanding on lvl 1 or 2 each night when checking on and dealing with 4 month old twins...

If it weren't for that, I'd be using my new Spark SL6-800CW with the diffuser frosted glass.

Ok, I'm in.
For the next week I will be using only my Moddoo triple/oveready 9P setup
Or my M6.
I will probably swap between them on alternate days.

I would love to join in again but I just took possession of my Haiku xp-g, and, well, I'm not going a week without using it. Maybe next week. :nana: Surely you understand carrot. :grin2:

Welcome to the McGizmo club!

...It's so difficult only using ultra high outputs indoors! I dropped an eneloop under my bed earlier, instinctively went for my light, and proceeded to blast my face off with my M6... This will be much harder than the 5mm challenge! I may just have to spend the entire week outdoors, only looking at things from a distance...

I might make myself a grabbing stick or something so I don't have to stare at bright shiny things from up close. Try the welder's mask! Get one for your whole family, even the dog!

Last night was fine, I put a double layer of an old dark green T-shirt on my TK45. Nights are not going to be a problem if I don't leave the light on too long - after 2 minutes it started smelling like I forgot the iron on some clothes. I didn't dare putting a double layer of cloth on the Malkoff MC-E and I don't think I'll use that one around bedtime or the birds will start chirping early. I found out that by having to use such a powerful light, I don't use it as much as I normally would. I thing that the fear of fire and the smell of burnt t-shirts might have something to do with it.

EDC however is a little more cumbersome. I've been EDCing my new IFE2 for 2 weeks now and was thinking on switching back to the PD20 since I did the testing I wanted and it kinda gets in the way when I put my seatbelt on, but now with the Predator on the other side of my belt (absolutely need a backup), I barely fit in the car seat anymore. I might trade the jeans for cargos for the rest of the challenge, but the lights tend to shift position in the side pockets, so it's a good for a bad. I hope the next challenge will be a mini challenge; I could definitely do with feeling like I lost over 20 pounds.

Haven't been to any customer sites yet and no plans to go out in the next 7 days, but who knows, that could change...

What I WOULD use if I were playing right now. Heavily customized C2 with a NB SST50. About 55O lms on high. :rock:

p1000771x.jpg

The reason I'm not playing right now.

p1000749a.jpg

nbp- I can't think of a better reason not to play along. Very nice! BTW, which clip is that on the C2?

Thank you sir, it's good to be in the club. :)

That is a Ti Moddoo clip for HDS lights, but if you add an extra o-ring you can put it on the C2 under the tailcap. I like it better on the C2 than on my HDSs. :sssh:

One night in and I have failed already.
Last night i grabbed my novatac on low to run to the fridge late at night.

I will call last night a practice, and start seriously now.

Here is today's light,
180810orforcpf6.jpg

I will probably run this one all week, being an LED it's not going to burn my hand if in have to choke it with my hand to dim it

Last edited:
Well... last night was fun. Having to try and explain to my wife why I had my light on high when I was coming to bed (you can imagine how far back her eyes rolled when I told her it was a forum challenge!)... trying to check on my toddler in the middle of the night with 500 lumens...

Well... last night was fun. Having to try and explain to my wife why I had my light on high when I was coming to bed (you can imagine how far back her eyes rolled when I told her it was a forum challenge!)... trying to check on my toddler in the middle of the night with 500 lumens...

Flippin' hilarious! :crackup:

"Why in the world do you have your light on super-high mode?! You're going to wake the baby you loon!"

"It's a Carrot challenge, babe! Don't you know what that means?!! If I cheat I gotta log on tomorrow and confess, and I'm not doin' that!"