The Big Green Egg......

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
Nitro, man, Beautiful looking steaks, have to love that cast iron grate for making good sear marks.

Brian

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Brian,

Yeah, I'm a Cast Iron freak. I have about 6 skillets, a chicken fryer, 2 dutch ovens and a couple griddles. Not too mention the multiple CI grates for both the gasser and the Egg. Oh, and I can't forget the Wok! :laughing:

BTW, here's the Adjustable Rig I mentioned:

IMG_4607.jpg

IMG_4623.jpg

IMG_4624.jpg

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4610.jpg

IMG_4613.jpg

IMG_4614.jpg

IMG_4617.jpg

IMG_4618.jpg

IMG_4619.jpg

IMG_4620.jpg

IMG_4621.jpg

IMG_4622.jpg

I have no idea why some of those shots are 90 deg off. They're all correct on Photobucket. :thinking:

Last edited:

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
Holy smoke Nitro, thats some setup... :wow:

I love cast iron as well, live not to far from the Lodge factory and have been meaning to stop by some time and take a tour. Once you get them seasoned right its like non-stick cookware. I grill almost every night, but looking at that cow you posted, looks like some steak for me this weekend. Costco usually has good deals on their meat, might do some fish as well...

Have a great weekend coming up.

Brian

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a Lg, I really like it. The investment is certainly not for everyone, but it is worth it when you finally bite the bullet. I will probably pick up a Mini next, too darn cute to not own one....lol

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple Lodge pieces, but most are Griswold. I like the old (antique) pans better, because they're a little lighter and have a smooth surface. But if I go camping, I'll take the Lodge. They're a lot cheaper to replace if they get damaged.

I get specialty cuts like steaks etc. from a local butcher. But I also get a lot of meat from Sams Club (similar to CostCo) where they have good deals.

Speaking of steaks:
IMG_4739.jpg

IMG_4740.jpg

IMG_4741.jpg

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4743.jpg

IMG_4745.jpg

IMG_4747.jpg

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brother that's just mean. I'm four hours since lunch, and probably three hours from dinner.

I want a BGE real bad. We haven't been grilling at all lately, so it's tough to justify the expense. I'm also a complete grilling moron/newb, and am scared that anything more complex than "tuirn on gas....press button....put on food" might screw me up.

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
Nitro, do you use the T-REX methoud for your steaks (from the looks of the 600deg, you do)? I got it from the Naked Whiz's web site... lots of good BGE info there BTW (bet you already know about it.. LOL).

Brian

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
SmokeLaw, it's not that hard to learn, especially if you have great online resources. Here's a great one to start with: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Bthrel, yes I normal use the T-Rex method or a variation of it, unless I'm in a hurry. It was ready to storm when I cooked those last steaks, so I only let it get up to 600* before searing. The key with the T-Rex method, that you mentioned in your earlier post, is letting it rest BETWEEN searing and cooking at the lower temp. That will give a more tender juicy steak. I never knew that before reading that site.

Another method is to sear the steaks on the small cast iron grate just above the coals. See my picture above with the spider. That way you don't need to bring the Egg up to nuclear temps. 500* is plenty. After searing, you raise the steaks to a higher half circle grate for the rest of the cook. No need to drop the temp of the Egg. Saves a little fuel too.

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
Good idea, its pouring here so no grillin tonight, but that will give me time to do some reading up on your two grate method.

Brian

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good idea, its pouring here so no grillin tonight, but that will give me time to do some reading up on your two grate method.

Brian
With the Adjustable Rig you can put the spider below with the small CI grate, and the half circle grate on top. Works perfect! ;)

IMG_4813.jpg

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
With the Adjustable Rig you can put the spider below with the small CI grate, and the half circle grate on top. Works perfect! ;)

IMG_4813.jpg

I like that setup man. Seems like they make a half moon CI grate as well.
We have a TruValue HW store near here and the owner is a big time egg head, going to have to stop by this weekend and do some shopping. The guys prices are really good as well.

Have a great weekend

Brian

AnotherADDiction

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I just stepped into the cafe and found this. I Love the ceramic cookers - I personally have a #7 Kamado (www.kamado.com) and have been using it since around 2001. I love the way it is able to smoke for hours without any intervention and keep the temp at the right level. I will definately be back when I am not at work :whistle:
Allen

J.W.H.

Newly Enlightened
A couple of guys at work just purchased a BGE. After seeing some of the food pics here, it has me wanting one too.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of smoking... here's a pork butt I did:

IMG_4712.jpg

IMG_4698.jpg

IMG_4711.jpg

IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4710.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

IMG_4699.jpg

IMG_4701.jpg

IMG_47241.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

IMG_4709.jpg

IMG_4713.jpg

IMG_4715.jpg

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
Yummy looking pork, did you or have you ever brined it first? Im planning on a butt soon and will brine it this time...

Cheers

Brian

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yummy looking pork, did you or have you ever brined it first? Im planning on a butt soon and will brine it this time...

Cheers

Brian

I didn't brine this one. I just coated it with mustard and rub, then covered it in plastic rap overnight in the fridge. Not sure I will do anything different next time, other than try a different rub and/or smoke chips.

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
I didn't brine this one. I just coated it with mustard and rub, then covered it in plastic rap overnight in the fridge. Not sure I will do anything different next time, other than try a different rub and/or smoke chips.

Did it come out nice and moist? Thats been my issue as of late, but I tend to forget some of the requirements like a pan with liquid in it below the butt. Its definately a learning process.

Brian

Latest posts