The definitive Malkoff Hound Dog Super thread

NH Lumens

Enlightened
This is the material Malkoff uses for the diffusion lenses (or something very similar to it);

The circular 5-degree .010" polycarbonate sheet material works really well and with a 90% transmission rate, does not significantly degrade output. Unfortunately, Gene only has these to fit the Hound Dog and Wildcat heads, but this material would be outstanding for use with the HD Super.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the material Malkoff uses for the diffusion lenses (or something very similar to it);

Interesting info.

The Pressnseal gives an Elliptical shape beam (middle) for the hound dog and the DCfix gives a round beam. Ace hardware sells a cheap diffusion film for showers that lets more light pass thru than DCfix with a round shape...

circular,-elliptical-and-extreme_1.jpg

NH Lumens

Enlightened
The circular holographic material provides a round shape. I have used this material in a WC 18650 and a E2XTD with great results.

Since the material is a thin polycarbonate sheet out of which a round lens can be cut, the diffusion lens can be installed and removed without much fuss. A high VLT (visible light transmission) rating is really important for flashlight applications and is usually quite low with any frosted or privacy window film;

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the thread I remembered but the pic links are gone...

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Improvised diffusion material (like a shower curtain) works well for photography where camera exposure settings can compensate for any light loss, and color correction can be made post-shutter with photo editing software.

With flashlights, it's a different story: no one wants their 1,000 lumen light to become a 500 lumen (or less) light due to the use of window film or other improvised diffusion material intended for other applications. I believe this is why most who try are underwhelmed with the results.

Yet, many flashlights can benefit from the use of a light-shaping diffuser lens to smooth the beam and remove rings, artifacts, etc. with minimal loss of output.

I've experimented with cutting lenses from the circular 5-degree material in the Wildcat 18650 and E2XTD heads and am more-than-pleased with the results. In these high-candela heads, the diffuser lens broadens the hot spot and provides a smooth, ringless transition to the spill. The Wildcat comes from Malkoff with a diffuser lens made of the 10-degree material, which is what gives it the smooth, floody beam. Wihtout any diffuser in place, the beam profile of the WC is very much like that of the Hound Dog: a narrow, high candela hot spot with "rings of Saturn" all the way to the edge of the spill. With a 5-degree diffuser the Wildcat produces IMO a beautifully smooth and useful beam that measures 20,000 candela in the center. With the E2XTD, the results are similar.

In terms of overall beam quality and usefulness, this is the best Malkoff in my collection with the 5-degree diffuser installed;

WCMD2-1.jpg

I'm betting the HD Super would take the Best Beam title with a 5-degree diffuser lens.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yet, many flashlights can benefit from the use of a light-shaping diffuser lens to smooth the beam and remove rings, artifacts, etc. with minimal loss of output.

Luminit (5 degree) is hard to find. You have a retailer source? I believe Luminit will do samples at $30 shipping if you have a shipper account... I'd get the 5 degree if I could find a source...

My recently bought Hound Dog 18650 came with no diffuser. I recently bought extra lens to do my own...

Decent 2017 thread on Luminit product test: (Hard to get)

Thread on Duffusion film sales. DC-Fix tested by Selfbuilt at only 3.2% loss of light... The Ace Hardware film in previous thread posted was even less loss of light than DC-Fix...

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Thread on Duffusion film sales. DC-Fix tested by Selfbuilt at only 3.2% loss of light... The Ace Hardware film in previous thread posted was even less loss of light than DC-Fix...
I don't know how the measurements were made, but only a 3.2% reported loss of light (inferred VLT of 96.8%) for a diffusion film seems a bit optimistic.

Consider the following products with a stated VLT specification;
Based on this, I suspect Selfbuilt's light measurement results are not an apples-to-apples comparison.

How VLT is Measured | VLT for Nerds

Last edited:

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Luminit (5 degree) is hard to find. You have a retailer source? I believe Luminit will do samples at $30 shipping if you have a shipper account... I'd get the 5 degree if I could find a source...

Purchasing the 0.01" polycarbonate 5-degree sheet material from Luminit and the tooling to professionally cut* round flashlight lenses is something I have in the works. The goal is to offer cut-to-order diffusion lenses up to about 55 mm in diameter, and pre-cut lenses to fit a variety of Malkoff heads including the MDX 22.3, E-series, VME, Wildcat, Hound Dog and Hound Dog Super.

*the material can be cut with scissors, but for us perfectionists the results of trying to cut a perfectly round disc with a smooth edge is what you'd expect.

LEDphile

Enlightened
Purchasing the 0.01" polycarbonate 5-degree sheet material from Luminit and the tooling to professionally cut* round flashlight lenses is something I have in the works. The goal is to offer cut-to-order diffusion lenses up to about 55 mm in diameter, and pre-cut lenses to fit a variety of Malkoff heads including the MDX 22.3, E-series, VME, Wildcat, Hound Dog and Hound Dog Super.

*the material can be cut with scissors, but for us perfectionists the results of trying to cut a perfectly round disc with a smooth edge is what you'd expect.
FWIW, the Luminit sheet can be reasonably cut on a laser cutter, with only minor browning of the cut lines.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how the measurements were made, but only a 3.2% reported loss of light (inferred VLT of 96.8%) for a diffusion film seems a bit optimistic.

3.2% does sound too good to be true. Maybe @selfbuilt could give some insight on this for the DC-Fix 3.2% light loss...

I'd be interested in getting some 5 degree from you as I have a spare Hound Dog lens landing today that I was going to use as a diffuser since my HD didn't come with one...

NH Lumens

Enlightened
The Luminit material showed up today - minimum order quantity was four square feet and the stuff is not cheap!

I cut a 52 mm disc, installed it in my HD Super and am very pleased with the results. It has transformed what I always considered a specialty light into something I can get much more use out of.

I will take a candela measurement and post some beam shots next week.

Dimmlylit

Newly Enlightened
$24 bucks eh? Yeah..., no thanks man.

$24 bucks eh? Yeah..., no thanks man.

You didn't even offer convincing beam shots. (Yes I went to your website)

Lots of other options man.
My hound dog super is awesome all by itself. You gotta be a bit weak in the nuts to be asking for a better light. Mine had a nice scratch in the reflector (is it a reflector?) And I still love it like a new puppy.
No need in my opinion for a diffuser, even though I opened the topic with my 1st post a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Dimmlylit

Newly Enlightened
FYI

Malkoff sells the 43 mm replacement diffuser for the standard HD and WC for $10 plus $10 priority mail shipping ($20 total vs. $24 total for the 53 mm to fit the HD Super).

Sorry I offended you by responding to your inquiry.
You didn't offend me man. :) Good luck in your endeavor selling those things.

I just don't think it is worth it. As I mentioned, now that I have the light in my hand, I am not interested in changing a thing.

If I did want to put a diffusion filter on it, I would use either an olight rubber pop on diffuser that fits, or a pop on photography filter. Either option would be around $10-12 bucks and I wouldn't need to take the head off the light to make it work.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
With the filters you mentioned you would be turning the HD in to a very floody no throw at all light. And yes that would ruin it. With the filter film that is sold you get a floody beam but still good throw. Guess it's just what you looking for. It's very easy to put on as well. You don't have to take the head off just the bezel. Takes like a minute.