The E01 48 Hour Challenge

gunga

Flashaholic
Awesome. :)

The hardest part of the challenge is holding back from the other cool lights. I think your combo would do 90% off what I need. My phone can take care of 6%. The rest, I guess I'll just strain my eyes...

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
My children......I have been given the gift of a prophecy. Last night, while I walked the house with my moon-mode E01, I was stopped, when I saw in the distance a small glowing sphere on the wall. Confusion set it as I had my light pointed a completely different direction........"What do you want?" I called out to the luminous apparition. "What are you?" I heard only silence. I turned off my E01 and decided to get closer to the strange warm glow. As I got closer to the light source I felt a strange sense of calm rush over my body........as if I was an infant....being gently scooped into his mother's arms for the first time. Suddenly, I was completely enveloped in the warm light. As I floated there, completely at peace.....in a sort of nirvana where nothing else mattered....I heard the most angelic voice say,...."Bump.......Bump the thread Gurdy...." It was then that I realized what I need to do and why this apparition of light had chosen me. It was a gift from the Gods of illumination, The Lords of Lumens. They have chosen me to make sure that the world is given the gift of a WARM E01 once again! I know what I must do! First I must BUMP my Vihn Warm Mod E01 thread in the WTB section, and then I must also continue to harass, (in a totally kind and respectful way) the engineers at Fenix to give us the warmth that is our destiny! 3000k emitters! Or at least a round of lights WITHOUT POTTING!! Because they may take our lights.......but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!!!!!!

Gt390

Newly Enlightened
I had the same experience but it was just indigestion I think. I would be in for 3 or 4 if they were ever produced.

john1230

Newly Enlightened
I would buy 10 but I want the 21 hours run time back and not the current 16 hours one. Merry Christmas everyone.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man I wish I could try this but alas I need to be able to work at any time and the E01,great as it is just won't cut it for my tired eyes.

I will carry just an aaa light though sometimes if I need to go as light as I can but I have to have more output and throw when working and there is just no way around that.

If you haven't tried finding one yet that will do this try the ET D25aaa 219 or the 4/7 Atom aaa 219 both punch a lot harder than you think they can and are up to almost any close range task I have tried!

The Atom is a Mule with no throw but maybe the most amazing 218 beam around but the D25 is just amazing and both have magnets too.

Glad we have choices and Carry On!

phosphor22

Enlightened
Nice job there, gurdygurds on your E01 adventure!

Also, would want a couple in a warm tint if ever they appear -- especially, perhaps, with the Yuji 3200K High CRI 5mm LED... if it would work

Lumeron

Newly Enlightened
Sigh... The E01 was my first EDC. I just had to bury it because a Duracell battery leaked and although I did get it out, I could not get a new battery to fit. Apparently it did something to the insides.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking about wrapping this little self-imposed challenge up and it's definitely served its purpose. Made me realize just how capable the E01 can be as a stand-alone light (or two lights with slightly dif beams, but also how little I can really get by with illumination wise. It has also sparked a bit of a downsizing so look for some sales threads soon of lights you probably have zero interest in buying. My next challenge is to going to be to stick with just 3 lights. E01, AA MDC, and 2xAA MDC. With these three i truly have ZERO reason and probably can't find any need or situation that I would need more. I could also probably do just fine with only one of the MDCs but hey. This experiment has me thinking about other items I like to carry like knives. I have maybe 5 or 6 but could probably get by with a Vic Rambler and a Mini Tuff Lite just fine. Fixed blades, and a couple of folders were for sale with no bites, so they're getting returned and gifted perhaps. I have to remind myself that the best way for me is LESS IS MORE. The quest for the warm 5mm E01 shall always continue though. Thank you.....GOOD NIGHT!!!!

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my e01 yesterday, it really is well made and the threads feel great, easy to use one handed (not all my aaas can) the blue anodising is really nice too. I can see the potting through a tiny hole in the board. I'm impressed, when I turned it on even the wife said " wow isn't that meant to be the dim one?" as it actually managed to put a spot on the daylit room wall .

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gurdygurds - congrats on taking this old thread and making it fun again! I hope your warm E01 turns up...they tend to hide in strange places only to reappear when you least expect it. Threads like this keep this 'cockroach of flashlights' out front and relevant. Some of the most fun I ever had was torturing a number of 5mm lights (inspired by scout24's amazing abuse of one of his E01s HERE)...

I tend to forget about the little buggers, but they are scattered all over my house. Nightstands, in the showers, in cabinets - wherever reliable, 99% NEVER fail lighting is needed. Power failures are rare in my neighborhood, but they do occasionally happen here in "tornado alley." When they do happen, or if I need to get ready for work without waking my wife, the E01 on top of the shower stall door has provided light for the morning shower.

Just fyi (and not to take away from the ongoing admiration for the venerable E01), the Klarus Mi02 is another little AAA worth consideration. It's a good copy of the E01 and held its own during the E01 torture test.

So thanks again Dan - great postings!

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The quest for the warm 5mm E01 shall always continue
Love your posting style
when you say warm, and refer to Vinh, was that a 3000k or 4500k "warm"?

I dug out my E01 and compared it to an Olight i3s gunga modded for me w a 3000k XPL, and a Worm w 4500k Nichia:
31830941985_4799a5cc6a_b.jpg

olight medium:
31793377216_0b33218cdd_b.jpg

Worm medium:
31793373306_6a04c5595f_b.jpg

the three beams (medium modes on the first two) L-R XPL 3000k, N219b 4500k, Nichia GS 6000k?:
31893087455_b0c49d72dc_b.jpg

31893088565_6b42c713d6_b.jpg

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love your posting style
when you say warm, and refer to Vinh, was that a 3000k or 4500k "warm"?

Since I helped Dan acquire that one I'll chime in - it is a Vinh 3000k Nichia mod. I bought a bunch more LEDs and shipped them to Vinh but the potting is so extreme now that he said it would destroy the light to try and mod one now. :(

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea I still can't believe that I can't find the thing! I wanna say it's gotta be in the house somewhere because I'm almost positive I never took it camping or anything. Hoping one day I can write a magical post about being reunit d with it. I've gifted a few lights to folks on this forum before so I think the good karma came my way when you were kind enough to give that E01 to me. Thanks again. It was a short lived loved affair!!
Since I helped Dan acquire that one I'll chime in - it is a Vinh 3000k Nichia mod. I bought a bunch more LEDs and shipped them to Vinh but the potting is so extreme now that he said it would destroy the light to try and mod one now. :(

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumen for my original was around 6….it is a Vinh 3000k Nichia mod…

that makes sense, about a 50% drop in lumens from a 50% drop in Color Temperature, thanks for the details
I cant think of any off the shelf 3000k lights offhand.. I have Three 3000k lights that gunga modded for me.

The 3000k XPL 90+CRI in the i3s is much Yellower tinted, than the 3000k XPG 80+CRI… I prefer the more magenta tint of the XPG. I dont have any 3000k Nichia to compare…
NrVoSFnfBdPZyqra8Vba_kPaiytT8lVaJ163xhXOSLpdrT1wG_QHBj2JSXLRoc51DYqnK2IPeNEL4tDQLRQey-VGIAiyNrVNMicNmTryZhvP3xf00M3NciUc8h8piQMpSw-SwDtOcukgkaK03Xl_YNDJSGPgS2E2kUA9JKZt4xwOBFnNICVhH9hCeyPpYooBoynQzYV10VTpTkWbVqOHWB1cGU6iftRETC0XpjueqVBrxMMgCTpo0DU9TreD98dWs7U_zzk4pXnUL0_hgaOsZUtTQVmq4ufSbUXBRi2wX018Qs8zJkZsysksR3oxc270hvu8t3ulp8d9jACINQmjwwRJbNWihcZhYsPmKoGsKoAwab6V0fWglSOxB191iSPcksQWMRphUjgM4itKrQTu7CG6wteqrYc3GCEb52g1C3vkDG9LPC_PtOaemKfGsOzxjJcpR9ZFXc5jpdDNfBTraIDJe-WHDPjCGnfGklyot3VrrbIRTe4Bo32KeF6Uivmqx78TTu5h5_2Rq854-xhhNZqwi3OSl7mJwtn9TvmDg8cEIyvu3dSYAbVMXdLge_4dwEsV8VZrhUKipEDkP22zMqb30_fKSqcrXzO6x9vR5G_iDMcSsn1X=w1203-h902-no

now back to warm 5mm cockroaches
maybe a job for gunga? Send him the 3000k Nichias, to put into Klarus Mi02?
TPf0EPeBVF1GsJKrKmV78jGIWdSs8hFqZuelcJilM4XJT0WfpI6M2QNXsde6UGhLgV5jAf3Mz_e-PRBWWUko2q8kZtWk0wzWhcmz50pnghj4z-VHHwOzCP2MimSbbgY9JuDVPUn0Rt-TW8vM23LU_xCgvV1r38AWq9aD9YxRMW3tutJRMKIEKuD52XU7CU0D7WlM0vbokBAa74-xpEDXyELpgq0nFTwE5XIto7M8pQUkLaKWBYbOKELYsnkXU5K4JftfgdYxzs_gcnOXOBVGWUt-i81USnzCrWcgqrNJpkxQqGawq0hXEU0QjPBzDNQGrTCf-c62ABq_6A6BFa072LR0IJzHAY-RSUBzZ6PedP--FL6CJ76vDrIaLmck2CHngiid-8FQ1LlkbnaQi-8WNyKHfjH15UIJMzWaXQcOecIxBEb9WCfUjzuGd4MszJa3_8RdNkrHsLNhxNG12K7v6CmR5qTdbNOB7C9xvCbL0w2PQj7Rena5nk8iAV2pNwn0-rPoTHfl0sy3J4o7Q1W2lKQe0zvPaQoEsvz29AVjqUoZYaaphhHmTauP3eTcGQrqSrFhQalQGFq03bPMBSqFpKEHxDcb0cS5o-V5nJ62LJalL0iM=w1308-h446-no

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I can't do the challenge because I threw my E01 out shortly after receiving it... Why? Because I was disgusted with the blue beam/tint, lol...

I'll stick with my 27 lumen single mode E05 (2012 version) instead....

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't do the challenge because I threw my E01 out shortly after receiving it... Why? Because I was disgusted with the blue beam/tint, lol...

I'll stick with my 27 lumen single mode E05 (2012 version) instead....

The beam is nasty, no doubt. A little steel wool and elbow grease make all the difference in the world. With no disrespect for the venerable E05, the E01 will still be running when many other's batteries have faded and the lights have succumbed to abuse....that's why we put up with the nasty tint. E05 is no slouch, though... :twothumbs