The E01 48 Hour Challenge

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sand the beam until there's no sign of purple or hotspot at all. Just a pure flood. After using a stock e01 without sanding I've come to respect the beam on it. It's just a simple, no BS, don't bug me about beam pattern, i couldn't care less about color beam of light. And unless you need light for specialty purposes it works fine. It just lights things up. E01s are the light that boys in some tribes are given to show theyre ready to become a man. E01s are the lights that are passed out to the small select group that become Navy Seals. When you become president and they take you back into this secret room and start telling the truth about all he crazy stuff that happens in the world and how everything really works and you can hardly believe your ears then they hand you an E01. These lights are that important. I wouldn't be caught dead carrying a Klarus knock off thats to be sure. Klarus AAA light is the one they give little kids when they leave he doctors office if they've run out of loliipops. =run4jc;5022932]The beam is nasty, no doubt. A little steel wool and elbow grease make all the difference in the world. With no disrespect for the venerable E05, the E01 will still be running when many other's batteries have faded and the lights have succumbed to abuse....that's why we put up with the nasty tint. E05 is no slouch, though... :twothumbs[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I'll fish one out in the morning and get a 48 going too. I have done this challenge a few times over the years and it's always fun. :)

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atta boy! It is fun......and it's zesty.......and refreshing. For some of you the challenge will be neither fun, nor zesty,nor refreshing because it will force you to face the truth. And sometimes the truth hurts. Other times the truth gives you flat out diarrhea. The loose stools comes from being confronted with the fact that you have no real use or need for that giant pile of flashlights over there. Now what??!! Can you look that pile of flashlights right in their emitters and tell them? Can you?? Can you tell them you have diarrhea because you realize that the simple beauty that is the Fenix E01 pretty much handles your illumination needs??? I'm not sure if you can do that. You tell me.
I'll fish one out in the morning and get a 48 going too. I have done this challenge a few times over the years and it's always fun. :)

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't be caught dead carrying a Klarus knock off thats to be sure. Klarus AAA light is the one they give little kids when they leave he doctors office if they've run out of loliipops.

Hmmm...might want to rethink that. ;)

Let's not forget the 5MM Challenge

PM sent...

I love this thread - most fun I've had reading CPF in a while! :twothumbs

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know how you're supposed to wait 24 hours after someone does something hurtful to you before you respond.....so that you don't say something that you regret? That's what I just did. I feel like someone just talked trash about my daughter and I had to take a moment to calm myself before I replied. Just kidding of course. :laughing: Honestly I didn't want the Klarus to do well in the torture test, which I just re-read, AMAZING thread, and I don't really want to like it now! Unfortunately, it does appear to be a better performer than the E01. Also I have had a bad experience with Klarus lights before so I've attached some baggage to the brand. I may just have to give one a go. Are the heads potted? I don't remember reading anywhere if they are or not. Also, like Jon said perhaps surgery on a Mi02 may be easier than the E01 for us warm 5mm freaks.
Hmmm...might want to rethink that. ;)

Let's not forget the 5MM Challenge

PM sent...

I love this thread - most fun I've had reading CPF in a while! :twothumbs

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know how you're supposed to wait 24 hours after someone does something hurtful to you before you respond.....so that you don't say something that you regret? That's what I just did. I feel like someone just talked trash about my daughter and I had to take a moment to calm myself before I replied. Just kidding of course. :laughing: Honestly I didn't want the Klarus to do well in the torture test, which I just re-read, AMAZING thread, and I don't really want to like it now! Unfortunately, it does appear to be a better performer than the E01. Also I have had a bad experience with Klarus lights before so I've attached some baggage to the brand. I may just have to give one a go. Are the heads potted? I don't remember reading anywhere if they are or not. Also, like Jon said perhaps surgery on a Mi02 may be easier than the E01 for us warm 5mm freaks.

LOL. The heads are potted, but like the old E01, not the new ones. It's all good -

:D

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will calmly, politely, and respectfully, compare the E01 to the............"other light" and give you all my honest opinion. Total transparency.........I hope it fails in a spectacular way and that the copy that Dan torture tested was a total fluke. I'm feeling a bit ill just thinking about cheating on the lil' Fenix. :(

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does that mean you have bought one then ? I'll keep my eye out for your write up :popcorn:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, but what it does mean, is that a kind fellow by the name of run4jc has offered to send me one in an attempt to lure me away from first love. CPF rules. Side note, today I received a used copy of Malkoff's 2AA MDC (which I had previously and sold off) and yet I am still obsessed with THIS thread and these little 5mm lights.
Does that mean you have bought one then ? I'll keep my eye out for your write up :popcorn:

nbp

Flashaholic
I grabbed my Titan Plus this morning instead of my E01 by mistake. I forgot I was starting today! But I also forgot a bag of trash in my trunk all day too so what does that tell you? Duhhh. Fortunately it's freezing out so it wasn't smelly. Ugghh. I'll have to start in the morning. The biggest challenge will actually not be resisting my fancy lights but resisting my Tubes! I just got a couple fresh ones in and charged up. Though not nearly so robust as the E01, I cannot lie, I love Tubes and I don't know why!! Lol

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! Yes I've failed the challenge almost that quickly before. I'll be interested to hear how your time rolling solo with the E01 goes. By the way your Poor Man's Haiku thread is a top ten influential post for me. Maybe top five. :thumbsup: QUOTE=nbp;5023337]I grabbed my Titan Plus this morning instead of my E01 by mistake. I forgot I was starting today! But I also forgot a bag of trash in my trunk all day too so what does that tell you? Duhhh. Fortunately it's freezing out so it wasn't smelly. Ugghh. I'll have to start in the morning. The biggest challenge will actually not be resisting my fancy lights but resisting my Tubes! I just got a couple fresh ones in and charged up. Though not nearly so robust as the E01, I cannot lie, I love Tubes and I don't know why!! Lol[/QUOTE]

nbp

Flashaholic
Thank you for the kind words, the MDC is special light for sure. :)

I'll keep you posted on the Challenge progress. ;)

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
My challenge officially ended tonight. I went on a walk tonight with my folks, wife and kids, and by the time we got back my daughter says she's missing the knitted ear warmer thing Grandma gave her for Christmas. Needless to say my jacket and hat went back on and I headed out the door again with the MDC 2AA in hand as a one man search party. With the ambient light from the street lights, Christmas lights, and windows the little E01 would've struggled so the Malkoff got the nod. New respect for the 2AA MDC, the light is a badass. Really another do all light for me. 3\25\250 levels and great runtime. MDC AA lights definitely share legendary light status with the E01 in my book. AAA, AA, 2AA combo could be my trifecta with the E01 and these two Malkoffs. I'm a happy camper light wise currently. Now somebody post some amazing E01 stuff quickly!!!

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you find the ear warmer thingy?

I went to get my e01 off my B.o.b. and grabbed an old Peak Matterhorn single also.
The Matty head wouldn't turn! After some grunting and a pair of high leverage pliers it started turning. When it reached the o-ring I started to hear a hissing sound, after the hissing, it unscrewed easily. I had an alkaline energizer in it and I guess it off gassed and pressurized the battery tube. No corrosion visible, or damage to the battery, go figure. I think that battery sat in there unused for at least two years.

just ordered an mi02 also...

nbp

Flashaholic
I fished out my used and abused E01 from my truck. I have a couple pristine models in a BOB but I didn't want to mar them. Actually have an interesting note on those but I will start a separate thread for that. Anyways I got out my beater unit and started my Challenge at 8pm tonight. :)

Now, I have had E01s a long time. As in, I pre-ordered E01 when they were first introduced back in the late 2000s when I was just a wee college student. Haha. Somehow though, I have never done the steel wool mod! So as I began my Challenge I cleaned off the contacts and checked the cell inside and then grabbed out some 0000 steel wool. I jammed some in the head and twisted away. Holy smokes does this make a difference! Why did I wait so long?! The beam is 100% cleaner and smoother and the ugly purple oval purple is more a dull blue fuzzy dot. What a treat! My precioussss! [emoji2]