The Malkoff Front Porch

WebHobbit

Enlightened
I would be quite happy to replace my HD 18650 with an HD 21700....and a new Wildcat 21700 would also be awesome! Especially if Gene embraced FLAT top unprotected cells like my ZLs!

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
Didn't really need this but I now have a new glove compartment light.

4a67635cf8cd8ce7c57ccd8dff04ccff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wweiss

Enlightened
I would be quite happy to replace my HD 18650 with an HD 21700....and a new Wildcat 21700 would also be awesome! Especially if Gene embraced FLAT top unprotected cells like my ZLs!

I agree. The Wildcat is a power hungry animal. The beam is great but the power drain is substantial on high - even in an MD4...

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes it is! V6 will drain a pair of 18650 in a little over an hour. The new V7 seems to run longer as far as I can tell. Haven't done runtime test on them.

wweiss

Enlightened
Yes it is! V6 will drain a pair of 18650 in a little over an hour. The new V7 seems to run longer as far as I can tell. Haven't done runtime test on them.

Wish I could get a solid 2 hours in an MD4. One of the very best warm flooders I have. However, I have to take 2 spare 18650s with me to be safe. I could use LO, but it is pure joy to walk a dark fire road with the WC on HI...

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Couldn't agree more. The V6 in neutral is fantastic. I always take extra cells while out with that beast. It's also the hottest damn light I use! This time of year it's fine but in summer that head could almost start a fire.

wweiss

Enlightened
Yes, like holding a soldering iron. The MD4 acts as a thermal conduit for a while, but that warms up too. I don't care too much though as that beam is one of the best. I dip mine in the snow or water to cool it down - so winter is the best time for that light.

Whitelight1

Newly Enlightened
I'm in Florida and even in the summer as long as I am walking around, the head doesn't get much past warm. However, set it on a desk and ceiling bounce it without a fan on it and you're going to melt the lens on it. Same thing with the Hound Dog Super. Thinking about selling some of them possibly. Not because they get hot, because I have so many.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
All M61 product pages updated to SST-20.
4000K neutrals and 3000K warms are 95 CRI.

Wondering what LED new versions of the higher output models will use...

WebHobbit

Enlightened
All M61 product pages updated to SST-20.
4000K neutrals and 3000K warms are 95 CRI.

Wondering what LED new versions of the higher output models will use...

Owen where are you seeing this? I just checked several pages for M61 and none mentioned the emitter or any output above 450

????

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every M61 dropin's product page.
Maybe delete your cookies, or something.
These are not a step up in output, AFAIK. Perhaps even a step down, as the brightest 4000Ks max out at ~400 lumens off 1A. I think they hit ~640 with 2A, which is their listed maximum input.

"This is the Malkoff Devices P60 style M61N (neutral) Drop-in LED Upgrade Conversion with solid brass heatsink construction. The output is approximately 400 measured out the front lumens. The current draw is only 800ma at 6 volts. The full output runtime is approximately 1.5 hours on two CR123 primary batteries with a nice long taper as voltage drops. It will easily illuminate objects at 350+ feet and will blind opponents within a 100 foot radius. The LED is a Neutral White (4000K 95 CRI) Luminous SST-20."

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Owen!

Just ordered one N and one W. I'll post beamshots as soon as I have em. Really need a good flashlight-zoneout-session! Great excuse to finally get a crenulated HD bezel!

Also, sorry for being a little MIA WRT the group buy, I hope to get that rolling in the new year. A lot more than a bunch of snow has just been getting thrown at me, luckily, all temporary/ material problems.

salparadise

Newly Enlightened
The Hound Dog is back in stock. I've been waiting. I just ordered a HD Neutral XP-L. Feeling like a kid at Christmas, haha! And it might even get here for Christmas. It's a splurge, but I've save a bunch by starting with the good stuff rather than buying cheaper stuff and working up to it.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Hound Dog is back in stock. I've been waiting. I just ordered a HD Neutral XP-L. Feeling like a kid at Christmas, haha! And it might even get here for Christmas. It's a splurge, but I've save a bunch by starting with the good stuff rather than buying cheaper stuff and working up to it.
I was coming here to post that for folks who might not get an email notification.
I'm hardly just starting out(Malkoffs for work and "emergency" lights since 2008), and it's mainly going to be a nice toy for shining on...stuff, but I jumped when I saw the email.
Really thought they might never come, and be replaced with something else, like the HD 18650. I signed up for that notification over 2.5 months ago, so it was a nice surprise.
In the meantime, I'd been shopping other lights(which were all Chinese), and have had a bunch of different ones in a bunch of different shopping carts, but just couldn't do it when it came time to enter that credit card number. Glad I waited!

My first post here after 2.5yrs was asking for beamshots of the neutral HD XP-L. Now I will have them!:p

Last edited: