The Malkoff Front Porch

doctordun

Enlightened
For any of you who have both, do you find the HD Super to be a good addition to the HD18650?
I have the HD 18650 and love it.
I am drawn to the higher specs of the HD Super and wondered if it would be a sufficient difference to what I have, to justify getting it.
No rush to answer, since Malkoff is out of stock. It seems every time I get interested in a new iight, I have to be put on the notify list. My luck.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have the older style 18650 HD not the new optic version so not sure if there's a difference. The HD super puts out way more light with a lot more throw. Not twice as much but dam close. The super is like a 18650 HD on steroids. You can very easily see the difference. Now if you use your light only at close distance 50-75 yards you probably don't need the super "although it would probably work better ". The super is quite a bit bigger all around. They both have good spill and plenty of throw. The super just has more. I tend to grab my super before my 18650 HD.

the super hound dog has a lot more lumens, this makes it illuminate much more peripheral area.

the old 18650 hound dog had no more throw than the super hound dog, but the new model of the 18650 hound dog beats the super hound dog in that regard.

however the hotspot is smaller and the illuminated peripheral area is also smaller in hound dogs 18650.

they are different animals.
if you can, have both.

For any of you who have both, do you find the HD Super to be a good addition to the HD18650?
I have the HD 18650 and love it.
I am drawn to the higher specs of the HD Super and wondered if it would be a sufficient difference to what I have, to justify getting it.
No rush to answer, since Malkoff is out of stock. It seems every time I get interested in a new iight, I have to be put on the notify list. My luck.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I have the older HD18650, and I just love that light. I have the Super HD, also. It is probably one of the earlier ones. I think they have since raised the lumens. I like it, but prefer the 18650 for most of my needs. I did get the E2XT and find it to be a neat little thrower. I will probably end up with the 18650XT someday. I like the old HD18650 because I can use it on low and use it to read things at work, which I often do. Not sure the new one would be able to do that without a filter on. Mine old HD18650 is a neutral. It has been through a lot of pretty rough use also. I generally don't need a light to throw any farther than the old HD does. I think it is fun to buy lights and I enjoy buying USA made. Also, that Wildcat 18650 is a great indoor light on low particularly and will light up a large portion of my yard on high.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, Malkoff Junkies. I've been away for a while. Are there any tint snobs among you who might have the neutral Wildcat V7? I know the color temperature but I've never seen this particular emitter. How is the beam tint? Nice and even? Cree rainbow?

TILL-22

Newly Enlightened
I have an MDC 1AA, but didn't have a good way to carry a spare AA battery with me. So what better way to carry 2*AA with me than in a case that's even stronger than the flashlight? Filament wound carbon fiber and epoxy resin, 5 mm thick.
nDoT3GK.jpg

pHpKTiN.jpg

TILL-22

Newly Enlightened
I cut it off a leftover piece of a batten of a 143 foot sailboat. I still need to make a good removable cap system though!

Last edited:

wweiss

Enlightened
As a 3 year owner of a HICRI V6 Wildcat, I've come to realize that the only way to run this very hungry, wonderful head is on an M4 with 2 of the highest energy density 18650s you can find. Anything else in any combo and M-Tube and the light fades fast. It is more than worth it, however, as the beam radiates the woods and color rendition is stunning. My HD goes unused, sadly as I'm in the woods mostly and that beam does not work well for me there. The WC is just superbly suited to trail walking.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I have the V6 also. I believe that is the Wildcat with the small head? I bought the new 18650 Wildcat and really like the convenience of using one 18650. I believe the low on the 18650 Wildcat is higher than the low on the V6. I do wish the 18650 Wildcat had the smaller head and my V6 had the larger head though. Still, both are excellent lights.

wweiss

Enlightened
I have the V6 also. I believe that is the Wildcat with the small head? I bought the new 18650 Wildcat and really like the convenience of using one 18650. I believe the low on the 18650 Wildcat is higher than the low on the V6. I do wish the 18650 Wildcat had the smaller head and my V6 had the larger head though. Still, both are excellent lights.

Yes, the small head. Just came in from the woods - man, that thing does impress! I have been working on some stone walls along the edge of a field and fantasized about dangling this light 30' up on a line off a branch as an area wide night work zone... the neighbors would think a UFO has landed and an alien was stealing rocks!

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
I just picked up an older Camo MD2 on the auction site. I think it's a first gen as it uses a kroll switch.

Are these bodies compatible with high/low rings and current MDX lenses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
My older RA works well with Hi/low switch. Knowing that the Kroll has a lot of resistance, I used a mini mag tail cap and turned it into a twisty. Less resistance, and works fine.

Bill

doctordun

Enlightened
I am really wanting to invest in another Malkoff. It seems his suppliers are very behind. I emailed them a few weeks ago and they hoped for something soon. The Malkoff website is quite empty. I feel bad for them. And for people like me, wanting to give them money..........