The Malkoff Front Porch

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a run time test on low over a year ago. I'm not positive, but I think I stopped the test after 225 (or more) hours, and the cell was at 3.5 or 3.6 volts resting. My guess was that it would run for at least 300 hours. The run time is basically infinitely long for any real-time usage.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Now I think about it I did a test with my 4L on low. Same draw 18MA and stopped the test at 264 hours. So ya 300 hours is probably right. In all honesty if you need more the 12+ days of constant light chances are good you got a boat load of much bigger problems.

daffy

Enlightened
B1771-E5-C-F438-4-EAD-AC5-E-01-EBDB470607.jpg

So finally pulled the plug on a super hound dog. After using wildcats and regular hound dogs I honestly didn't think there would be that much different. Ya there is! This thing has huge throw with a ton of spill it easily lights up a couple hundred yards ahead and with plenty of spill.And low, well it's not really low. Because of the lux it's still extremely useful and I'd honestly put it on the level with a standard M61 as far as throw. It really is the kind of light I have been looking for. Throw and spill all in one. Would make a fantastic S@R light. Very happy with it.

This shot is 190 yards to the trees and did pretty good despite the fact that is was raining at the time.
vs XT??

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The XT will out throw the super. With no filters on it. But it's a much narrower beam on the XT. Basically all throw. I'll see if I can find my shot of the XT at the same location.

Got it
E3AAD55F-C88F-449E-902F-B90F8456770D.jpg

Last edited:

Whitelight1

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to understand why people are going for the LLLL when normal MD2 M61 with a hi/low ring is a very long lasting small amount (tiny amount) of light.

Perhaps it's just a reason to buy more drop ins which I can understand. Lol.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I am trying to understand why people are going for the LLLL when normal MD2 M61 with a hi/low ring is a very long lasting small amount (tiny amount) of light.

Perhaps it's just a reason to buy more drop ins which I can understand. Lol.

That and with the LLLL you dont have a hi drain option of twisting to hi, no choice but long runtime. :D

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Also remember the standard M61 will only get that huge runtime with a 18650 with hi/lo ring. The 4L's will get insane runtimes off of just about any battery option. Try a standard M61 off of a single 123? Doesn't work real well. With the 4L's you can run that puppy for 80 plus hours.

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
Well, you guys got me. I finally pulled the trigger on an mdc bodyguard. I've been wanting to find a platform to use my 16340's in as most of my lights run on 18650's anymore. The high momentary that drops down to usable lumens after a few seconds is exactly what I was looking for.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally grabbed an MDC XP-L Neutral head, need it to go with my HD Neutral XP-L after loving it's tint.

Asked Cathy for just the head via custom invoice, and if they could also add another T shirt (my wife stole mine...) and she went ahead and applied a discount code I had not yet used for me at checkout!

Unreal customer service, I tell ya!

I am so lucky that my favorite flashlight company is also so friggen amazing in every category! What more could you ask for? Seriously... you can't!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Gene and cathy are the best! Never not got back to me and have never failed to help me out with stuff.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been using my little 1aaxm361 219b a lot lately, plus I figured I'd pop in and say hello to a few buddy's lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Whitelight1

Newly Enlightened
I am about to snag another Malkoff.

Can you guys weigh in on the MDC XP-L Neutral (vs) the MD2 with the M61N module?

They both seem to have about the same lumens and tint.

Just the MDC body and smaller in circumference body and head. Making it easier for EDC.

Last edited: