The Malkoff Front Porch

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bouncing in and back out, passing this along for those that are interested.

They do have potted heads, they even pot their Rein switches and @ $200 these will be a steal.

Runtimes are misleading. I doubt you'll get 90 mins from 1500 lms. Not without a huge step down. Potted electronics, and tailcap switch I'd like more info.
For now I'm sticking with Malkoff

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I turned it off when the intro didn't have an explosion, he doesn't have full sleeve tats and he's not 230lbs of tactical mass.

Last edited:

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
PA4Sma6l.jpg

Fivemega MD1 body just arrived tonight. Loving this 18350 form factor. Next to my vme w/123 body for size comparison. I like the idea of being able to run both 18350's and 16340's in the same body while having a crenelated bezel with high/low. Although a little beefier, it seems like a worthy change to my daily carry light.

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
Still waiting for the day that one of those oveready tailcaps comes back in stock. Looks like the perfect clip placement.

Cree XHP 70 LED

Newly Enlightened
Runtimes are misleading. I doubt you'll get 90 mins from 1500 lms. Not without a huge step down. Potted electronics, and tailcap switch I'd like more info.
For now I'm sticking with Malkoff
You're exactly right. I pulled that down after talking to both cloud defense and someone else we all know and trust. I can tell you I won't buy that light. I (on very good information) do not believe they are not using thermal epoxy for potting. Stick with Malkoff.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're exactly right. I pulled that down after talking to both cloud defense and someone else we all know and trust. I can tell you I won't buy that light. I (on very good information) do not believe they are not using thermal epoxy for potting. Stick with Malkoff.

If I made products in Merica I would have that plastered all over my website.
Every 5 seconds Hacksaw Jim Duggan would run across the site.

Cree XHP 70 LED

Newly Enlightened
so malkoff uses thermal epoxy ?
whats the differences ?
I think ZL uses conformal potting like HDS?

thanks
There are a lot of different types of potting compounds. Some will hold in heat and that isn't good. Thermal epoxy will pull the heat away from the electronics keeping the led and driver cool, pulling the heat in the body of the light. Malkoff uses thermal epoxy. Cloud told me that potting can cause the heat to build up and act like an insulator trapping heat inside. Doesn't sound like thermal epoxy to me. I could say more, but I will leave it there.

Last edited:

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
whats the difference between the MDC 16650 and MD2 UV lights
is it just the size?.
what do you have as a malkoff UV?
can a ZWB filter can fit the 16650?
....also is a h/l ring switch needed for md2 for the brightness?

all this for home use.
thanks.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
@neutralwhite

The h/l ring switch is to take the brightness from high to low. I think low is an estimated ~10-20 lumens?
The head tight is high, the head a light-touch loosened is low.
If the switch fails then it's always high. It also secures the drop-in to the head...so a switch -- whether plain or h/l -- will be required.
The h/l is gold colored, the non h/l switch is silver.

I'll measure the MD2 glass diameter so you can see what size filter you need between the glass....your best bet might be to redneck engineer a filter that goes on the outside. It definitely needs to be larger than 22.3mm or it'll fall through the head's opening.
It appears that size and battery run-time will be the major differences in the MDC 16650 and MD2.
You should be able to take out the MD2 UV drop-in, where as the MDC16650 will not be removable.
I imagine the beam on the MD2 will be wider, since the head is .25" wider....but I don't know that for certain.
The 16650 does have the sweet pocket clip. But MD2 has a couple clip options...I prefer the import light clips.

Last edited: